“Overall pretty good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi

You added Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi to your Saves list
Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   83A Ly Thuong Kiet Street | Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi, Vietnam   |
Ranked #97 of 506 Hotels in Hanoi
Singapore
“Overall pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

The airport pickup was messed up as we had asked for a larger vehicle due to a very large amount of work related luggage; they sent a 5 series BMW which was very nice but way too small.
The check in was fairly painless, we had been promised a mass of perks for the type of room we booked but they were not made very clear and they never actually materialised.
The rooms were outstanding, older style as befitted the hotel but a wonderful refurbishment. The bathroom was wonderful and the shower the largest I have ever seen. The Jacuzzi bath (complete with multi-colored underwater lighting- I kid you not) was a nice touch.
The public areas were clean and well kept. Just wish they banned smoking in the only lounge bar area. Gym was good and well equipped.
The breakfast buffet was pretty extensive, and I am told the buffet served at our business event was good too. That was very well organised and the facilities were top notch.
The checkout was OK and we got the correct vehicle. Just a note its at least 45 minutes to an hour from hotel to airport so be sure to leave enough time. The traffic especially on the long bridges is very heavy and there are many accidents and break downs.
The staff deserve a special mention they are very friendly and helpful and seemed to have almost instant recall of names. The duty manager (David) runs a very tight ship and seems to constantly patrol and check. Well done. The front desk staff were very helpful especially with restaurant advice etc. The business centre staff were also extremely helpful.
To correct one reviewer the hotel is a 4.5 star and cannot be a 5 star as it lacks a pool (there is nowhere to put one), BUT it does have a spa. I didn't try it but its adjacent to gym on 3rd floor, and there are leaflets next to reception and they were also in my bedroom.
Overall a very nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
I do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi on Trip Advisor. We make every effort to ensure your expectations are exceeded and I sincerely appreciate that you have taken the time to share your personal experience and recognize our endeavors.

Thank you for acknowledging the positive elements of your stay, especially the décor in our guestrooms, the rain forest showers and the colorful lighting in the Jacuzzi. I am also grateful to receive your kind words regarding the service you received from my colleagues in the Business Center, Front Office and of course; my Executive Assistant Manager; David. I am fortunate to work with such a caring and talented group of individuals.

Thank you once again for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the very near future.

Philip Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
dillingen germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The room was nice. The restaurant is obviously not prepared (or itended) to serve dinner after 8pm.

Like in may places in Vietnam you sometimes feel there is a slight communication (language) problem, but the service was always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi . We know you have many choices when you travel and we really appreciate that you chose to stay with us on this occasion. I am grateful to receive your kind words, especially those regarding the friendly and helpful service you received from our staff. I am fortunate to work with such talented and caring individuals.

I also wanted to acknowledge your comments regarding your experience in our restaurant. Whatever the hour, we are always ready to serve our guests, but I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations or our own service standards. Please know that your feedback has been shared with the appropriate individuals, to ensure we consistently deliver the level of service that Moevenpick is known for and that you as our values guest have come to expect from our brand.
Thank you again for your feedback on Trip Advisor, we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and to continue ensuring your stays with us impress you and provide fond memories of Hanoi.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed here for business for 6 days in October 2013. Great staff who provided tips as to restaurants and sightseeing venues around the hotel. Overall, a well-maintained hotel and ultra clean. Great showers too!

A minor point, for a 4.5 stars hotel, it lacks a pool and spa facilities. Also, the wi-fi does not come with the room and must be bought separately. The gym is rather small as well and felt crowded even though there were merely 3 guests working out.

As for the breakfast buffet, I love having pho in the morning but overall, the buffet lacked variety over the course of my 6 day stay.

Great location too with lots of eateries around the hotel. Although for sightseeing, one needs a taxi to get out and about.

Overall an excellent stay!

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street are much better!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi and I sincerely appreciate that you have taken the time to post a review of your experience on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements of your stay, from the convenient location, to the cleanliness and the quality of our guestrooms. We really appreciate your recommendation to other travelers who use this forum when selecting hotels for their future travel plans.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi in the very near future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I had a great and wonderful experience with Moevenpick Hotel in Hanoi during my business trip on in Sept. This was my 2nd time staying in this hotel and I must say the most recent stay was a great experience for me. The services which provided by all levels of employees were very friendly and helpful. They have definitely make my stay worthwhile especiall the cleanliness of the hotel both in the hotel and restaurants, the ambience etc and i will highly recommend this hotel.

Thanks to the GM, Mr Philip Jones and his team for doing a great job in making my stay a very pleasant one compared to 4 years ago.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Ms. Sim,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi . We know you have many choices when you travel and we really appreciate that you continue to stay with us when your travel plans bring you to Hanoi.

We make every effort to ensure your expectations are exceeded and we sincerely appreciate your kind words regarding the cleanliness and ambience of the hotel, as well as the friendly and helpful service you received from my colleagues.

Wavre, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed in Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi for 6 nights.

The hotel is nice. A large hall with enough reception desks (when I checked in and out). Rooms are of decent size. Inside you have a large double bed with lots of pillows, a sofa for 1, a desk with chair and decent sized wardrobe. The colour combination (green, black and white) as well as the mix of styles make the room look special - you may like it (like I did) or not but it is definitely different than other hotels.

Breakfast and other dining options are all in the restaurant on the second floor. Breakfast is conventional with Western pastries, hot dishes and Vietnamese hot dishes. I really appreciated their offering of fruits and yogourths. However don't expect traditional Vietnamese coffee here. I only tried to dine there once. Although the taste is good the choice of Vietnamese food is rather limited - do not come here for Vietnamese cuisine (Quan An Ngon is a few steps away) but it can be an interesting option if you feel nostalgic of Western food.

As others mentioned I am not sure it deserves the "luxury/5 starts" label as it lacks a swimming pool and sound isolation is not that good (even on the 10th floor). However, regarding bubbly sounds of the street, you don't come to Hanoi to immerse you in complete silence and I was pleased to hear a little bit of the street while working, reminding me I am in Hanoi and not in the office! :-)

As I took the 'In-residence' (for an additional ~ 20 EUR per day) I benefited from a free minibar, free laundry (3 pieces per day), some free drinks at the gym and in the lounge, a 1-hour free massage (unfortunately no time to try), etc. If you take advantage of these services it is definitely worth the price.

Overall it's not a "Wow!" hotel but definitely a nice place to stay, to get some rest after a day of work.

Room Tip: Room at the back are quieter - but room at the front have a better view :-)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi. We truly value your opinion as it is from your comments that we are able to uphold our commitment to excellence, thus providing you with customer satisfaction for future visits.

I was very happy to hear of the positive elements of your stay; from the size and décor of the guestrooms, to the variety of fresh produce on our breakfast buffet. I am also glad that you enjoyed the benefits of the In Residence Program, which offers an everything considered experience at a reasonable price.

I also wanted to acknowledge your comments regarding the selection of Vietnamese cuisine and indeed we do not position Mangosteen as a Vietnamese outlet, rather an International outlet, which happens to offer some Vietnamese dishes. That said I am delighted that you found the dishes to be of good flavor and quality.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for our last two nights in Vietnam as a nice way to finish our holiday.

Overall, it was a nice stay but I'm not sure if it was worth the price or the five star rating.

I travel for work frequently and have stayed in numerous brands of 5 star establishments and I would rank the Moevenpick as one of the lower ones in terms of the 'wow' factor that I think is expected at this price and category of hotel.

The good:

The hotel is nicely decorated, especially the room, which were a good size, modern and comfortable.

The staff were always lovely (though sometimes the wait at the front desk took a while until whoever was on called more staff out to help).

Breakfast was great - the best we had in Vietnam but that is to be expected for the price.

The bad:

No pool is an issue for this type of hotel in a hot location.

Wifi is obviously an issue mentioned in other reviews but was more of a concern for my travel partner as I can do without but it seems to be standard to have free Wifi almost everywhere in Vietnam so it's surprising this comparatively very expensive hotel still feels the need to charge.

Otherwise it was more just the lack of the little touches that leave a positive impression.

Overall, it is a nice hotel, but you could do much better for your money in my opinion by staying in a Vietnamese-branded 4 star hotel for half the price.

• Stayed September 2013
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

I do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi on Trip Advisor. We make every effort to ensure your expectations are exceeded and I sincerely appreciate that you have taken the time to share your personal experience and recognize the positive elements of your stay. I was delighted to know that you found our team to be “lovely”; I am very fortunate to work with such caring and dedicated individuals. I was also glad to learn that you enjoyed the breakfast and found the rooms to be comfortable and well decorated.

With regard to the price for internet access, please know that this service is priced competitively with the other local internationally operated hotels and as such our service employs the highest levels of security to ensure your on-line safety. I also wanted to also make note of your comment regarding the; “lack of little touches that leave a positive impression”. I am truly sorry if we did not meet your expectations, as I know we typically work to engage our hearts, minds and smiles at every occasion to ensure our guests are surprised and delighted by thoughtful and generous touches.

Thank you once again for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again when your travel plans bring you back to Hanoi.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the hotel for one night at the end of our holiday before we flew back home. During our holiday we stayed at 2 other luxury hotels in Hanoi (the intercontinental and hotel de l'opera) so I feel I am in a good position to make comparisons.
We arrived early to the moevenpick hotel and were pleasantly surprised that a room was available for us.
However this was the only real positive aspect of our stay here.
Now the negatives:
- there was no pool (how can a 5 star hotel have no pool?)
- the Internet was very expensive (both other hotels we stayed at offered it complimentary)
- the service in the lobby bar was very poor. We waited a very long time for any service and could never find anyone when we wanted to sort out the bill. The drinks and food also very expensive in comparison to other hotels.
- we had diner in the second floor restaurant and sat by the window. The windows were so dirty so we could not enjoy a view out over the street. The food was very average and seemed over priced for what was offered.
- the room it self was clean but fairly basic. The shower didn't have much hot water and pressure was poor.
- the lifts to the room were very slow and we felt like we waisted a lot of time waiting around.

All in all not a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2013
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is certainly never our intent to disappoint our guests or provide anything less than the best in service and facilities and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Your experience is so extreme and unlike the feedback we typically receive that I would ask you to contact me personally at the hotel, so I can learn more.

We certainly look forward to the opportunity in welcoming you back and serving you again in the refined ambiance and service excellence for which we are known.

Philip Jones

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi? Share your experiences!