“I really wanted to like this place...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi

You added Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi to your Saves list
Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   83A Ly Thuong Kiet Street | Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi, Vietnam   |
Ranked #96 of 506 Hotels in Hanoi
“I really wanted to like this place...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

Currently staying here on my honeymoon with my wife and feel we have been badly let down on two fronts. First, because it was our honeymoon, we paid extra for a "deluxe superior room" for a bit more luxury - when we got here we discovered OUR ROOM HAD NO BATH. Any room in a so-called 5 Star hotel ought to have a bath, ESPECIALLY one which you have paid extra for in order to secure a higher quality room. We only have a shower, acceptable for a 3-star, poor for a 4-star, very bad for a 5-star and wholly unacceptable for when you pay extra to get a superior room. This is not so much of an issue for me, but my wife is Japanese and she feels really let down. They offered to move us, but it would mean us sleeping in a twin room in separate beds.

Second, the Internet price is an absolute scandal. Most 4-star joints (even many backpacker's places according to Lonely Planet) here offer good fast and secure internet for free across their hotels - to argue that the other 5-stars might charge more is like arguing tht your "less-bad" than them, which is not a positive. Anyway, I had read the reviews on this site and thought despite this negative, the benefits of the hotel outweighed this negative. So, I was happy to pay the price, about USD 9 day, only to discover that if my wife wanted to connect her laptop, she would have to the same price AGAIN! So for the three days we're here that will cost us just short of USD 60 for Internet access!

This might sound overally harsh, but it's things like this that spoil your stay in what would otherwise be a very nice hotel. My wife was right, we should have booked the Nikko...

• Stayed December 2011
BenoitPRETET, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Dear Guest, ]

I would like to start by apologizing for the negative experience you had at our hotel.

This clearly does not reflect the quality and standards we set out to deliver.

I have noted your comment regarding the absence of bathtub in the room you recently occupied in our hotel and I would like to sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
Due to the limited number of rooms with bathtubs we indeed face difficulties to satisfy all our guests’ requests however I do understand that your booking having being made for a honeymoon this could have been asked.

I have also well noted your comment regarding the pricing of internet service and I apology if we didn’t meet your expectations in that regard. We believe that as an international company we must insure the safety of our guests and our hotel is highly secured for internet browsing and data transmissions which is the reason of the cost.
Adding to that some of our guest do not use the internet access and find convenient not having to pay for this service which allows more flexibility in our rates.

Nevertheless, please be assured that we will still look at opportunities to keep this cost at a minimum for the comfort of our guests.

Again, my apology for this and I hope we will have an opportunity to have you stay with us in the future to show you that we can do better.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Venice, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

This was our first stop on our first visit to Vietnam. Room was clean and comfortable and the staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: There is a Highland Coffee down the block, and across the street there is a cool "fast food bur...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
BenoitPRETET, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, December 26, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your very positive review of our hotel. It is always nice to read that we have succeeded in meeting your expectations in all aspects of your stay. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Stopped over a couple of nights our way to Ha Long (wich by the way was a MAJOR dissapointment, total ripof!)

But Mövenpick was beatiful, the service was superb and the rooms really nice and big. The location is good too, right in the middle of Hanoi. Slow Wifi though, like the rest of the country.

Good value for money!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your positive comments and thank you for writing this review. I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again very soon at Movenpick Hanoi Hotel.

Greater Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

We were moved to this hotel after another hotel down the road (from French chain) was not able to honour the booking we made with them. As we arrived late driving back from Halong Bay and 5 hours in the bus (take a helicopter if you can afford it) we did not appreciate the unplanned change.

The rooms are large and comfortable as you would expect from a 5 star hotel and the Sauna was a pleasure. But, as with a number of expensive hotels, the internet is NOT free!

What we were also not that wrapped about was the in house restaurant we went for dinner. The service was well below par and the prices some what out of tune with Vietnam averages.

By all means stay in the hotel, but do yourself a favour and eat somewhere outside. There are plenty of choices such as the Green Mango or the Green Tangerine in the old quarter 1.

Room Tip: It appears all rooms have double glazing, we did not hear a thing from the outside buz.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
BenoitPRETET, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review on this platform.
I appreciate the high marks you have given us, especially in regards to the service you experienced from our team

I have noted your comment regarding the service in our restaurant and I would like to apology for that as it certainly does not reflect the level of service you rightfully expect from a hotel such as ours. Please be assured that I have immediately informed our Food and Beverage manager about this issue in order to make sure that there will be no reoccurrence of such incident in the future.

I hope that this has not negatively affected your trust in our services and that we will have the chance to welcome you soon again at the Mövenpick Hanoi.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed at the Movenpick for several nights in November. Although I had made my reservation for a king bed several weeks earlier, I ended up with two twin beds since they were overbooked. Nothing they could do for a few days, they said. Price was good though. Staff was good. Room was pretty good. Nothing spectacular but there really isn't much in the Hanoi hotel scene that is spectacular anyway. Good location, and great restaurant next door...Halia!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
BenoitPRETET, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.
Your comments and feed back are essential for us in order to improve our service and the personal touch we aim to deliver to our guests.

I would like to apology if we were not able to provide you with a king size bedroom on the day of your arrival and I hope that it didn’t affect the overall quality of your stay with us. This can unfortunately happens on high occupancy days due to the layout of our rooms but also the check out time of our departure guests.

I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you soon again at the Mövenpick Hanoi and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Recently stayed 10days at the Moevenpick on business
Room was a very good standard. i found the hotel staff were great, really helpful.
Food was a good standard but there are several Vietnamese restaurants and cafes including internet cafes nearby which are very good and much cheaper by comparison (and more fun)
Hotel doesn’t have a bar as such but the lounge area is ok. A place where expats can hook up would be a useful development.
The place is central and its easy to get to the places you need to go from there.
Taxis are very cheap but walking and crossing the roads is a fun experience
I read some of the comments from other guests who stayed here. All I can say you have to remember where you are. Its not Geneva. Half the fun is experiencing new adventures and the hotel and staff compares very well to others in Vietnam

Room Tip: rooms away from the main street have are less traffic noise esp early on
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
BenoitPRETET, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear Guest,

It is always a pleasure to read such positive comments about our hotel. I am obviously happy to know that we succeeded to meet your expectations and we hope to have an opportunity to see you back again soon.

Thanks a lot for your review,

Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Stayed for one night as the rate wasn't bad but felt the room was a little worn, old and smelt a bit musky. A few shady charcters offering 'services' outside the hotel entrance.
Guess I was spoilt by the Mecure Opera up the road.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
BenoitPRETET, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, November 27, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I’m glad to read that you enjoyed the confort of our hotel as well as our breakfast.

Your comments and feed back are essential for us in order to improve our service and the personal touch we would like to deliver to our guests.

I have noted your comment regarding the condition and the smell in your room and would like to apologize if that has affected the quality of your stay.
Please be assured that our maintenance and housekeeping teams are going to look at it immediately in order to make sure that there will be no reoccurrence of such incident in the future.

I have also noted the presence of undesirables in the area around the hotel and I will alert our security service to increase the rotations of security controls around the building, to ensure full security of our customers and to avoid these inconveniences in the future.

Benoit Pretet
Executive Assistant Manager

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi? Share your experiences!