“Fair hotel for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Camellia Hotel 6
16A Trung Yen Lane | Dinh Liet Str, Hoan Kiem Dist, Hanoi 844, Vietnam   |
Ranked #41 of 450 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Fair hotel for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The room we got was not that great and everything from the rest of the hotel could be heard. The toilet was positioned very badly and it was almost impossible to have a sit on it.
The location is great, as it is in the old quarter (but many mnay others can be found here). The managers are friendly and eventhough we had to leave very early when checkout, them were ready to serve us the breakfast.
Overall a fine place to stay. Not the best in Vietnam, but definitely not the worst either.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed with Mrs Phuong and her (growing) family for one week in August 2012 and can highly recommend a stay at Camillia 6. I've stayed in quite a few hotels across Hanoi and this one ranks very highly as it's clean, functional and well run and at a good room rates. ($15-$20/night) For me what makes the biggest difference to a stay is when staff and owners take a genuine interest in your visit and well-being. In short they really want you to enjoy your stay. They offer not only all the services you might need like tours, taxis or bike rentals but
they are also honest in all dealings and recommendations and will even help you plan your side-trips so everything goes smoothly. Choosing the right hotel can make all the difference not just to your Hanoi visit, but also to your whole visit to Northern Vietnam, a very beautiful region of the world. Well recommended.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I booked the hotel on a friend's advice, stayed for three weeks, and highly recommend it to anyone for a short or longer stay. If you are a budget traveler, your first choice will probably be one of the backpackers' hostels, but Camellia 6 is absolutely worth the money. The hotel is family-owned, in one of the calmer lanes of the otherwise very busy Old Quarter - close to the fruit and veggie market, soup stalls and coffee places; it is very clean, has a hot shower (yes, the shower is sort of strangely arranged, as other reviews mention, but my experience in other parts of Vietnam is no different from this one), wi-fi (there was one day when it was on and off, but otherwise without problems in three weeks), and has a menu to chose from for breakfast. Also the staff is very friendly. But really what makes the hotel a invaluable choice are the owners - they are incredibly flexible with tourists like me who do not have entirely fixed plans, give great advice, help book tours and open-ticket buses, keep backpacks while customers are traveling to Halong Bay or Sapa, etc. In addition to that, I needed to call a professor and some interviewees to meet, and they very kindly did the first call for me. Really a great place to stay!

(The one fewer star for sleep quality is for those of frail sleep: the noise of the Old Quarter - which you cannot avoid in Hanoi no matter where you are, however - plus some of the ACs noise. Those with good sleep can ignore this.)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Lausanne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We booked a room for one night but because of the Thyphon coming we had to change our plans so we cancelled the same day. The woman was really nice and understood without charging us for the late cancelation and she helped us to book a bus to Hué as the train was full! She let us waited in the hall for the bus as it was raining outside and her husband toom us walking to the bus! I forgot my jacket in the hall and he went back running to bring it to me before the departure! It was really nice to see a couple so kind with us! I woukd for sure come back therr during my next stay and recommend this hotel to all my friend! The hotel is in a small street without traffic so no noise! And situaed in the middle of the old quartier!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Beverley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

A lovely clean room, hot shower, nice breakfast. I emailed to let them know I would be arriving at 5 am and would it be OK to drop my bag off, not only did they reply and say yes, when we arrived they had kept a room free for us. So we got two nights for the price of one!!! Lovely place to stay in the old quarter of Hanoi, a minute from bia hoi junction!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Stayed at Camellia 6 for about 2 weeks while I was waiting for an apartment to open. Chose it because of the positive reviews about service and for the reasonable price. I wasn't disappointed! I chose a small room and opted out of breakfast, so it was only $12/night. You can find cheaper but I can't imagine you'd find the same quality. Makes this place a great value!

I also found the location really great--the little alley has two great soup stalls (love the fried fish!) and there's loads of fruit vendors. The owners were really helpful--they arranged a regular xe om to take me to the schools where I had started working, both really far from the Old Quarter.

One reviewer complained about the bathroom and while it's true that it's illogically laid out, I didn't find it any worse than in any other budget hotels. You've gotta angle in to sit on the toilet, and the showerhead sprays directly onto the toilets--but that's kinda the jam in SE Asia. You learn to adapt pretty quickly.

The Wifi is a little spotty for sure. Probably fine if you're just holidaying for a few days, but having Skype dates and working remotely was a challenge. But really that was the only inconvenience I had during 16 days. Not bad at all!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

On my second trip to Hanoi I again stayed at the Camellia 6 Hotel, it was like coming home. Phuong and her husband Anh greeted me like an old friend. Still a great place, right in the heart of the Old Quarter, clean rooms and great amenities. Once again I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an affordable and well run place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Camellia Hotel 6? Share your experiences!