“An experience that is unique, peaceful and makes you grateful for what you have” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Indochina Junk - Day Tours

Indochina Junk - Day Tours
06 Le Thanh Tong | Halong Bay, Halong Bay, Vietnam
+84 4 3926 4085
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Indochina Junk cruises to Bai Tu Long Bay, a beautiful and less visited part of Halong Bay for "off the beaten track" itinerary with many unique experience. Our fleet includes Princess Junk, Prince Junk, Red Dragon Junk, Dragon's Pearl Junk and Dragon Legend cruise. Flexible itinerary, friendly staffs and delicious local food will definitely bring you an amazing trip in Ha Long Bay.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2015 NEW

My partner and I were on the Princess Junk a few weeks ago with 6 other people, the rooms were lavish and the boat was just the right size.. it didn't feel crowded and felt comfortable and relaxing. Our Tour guide "Rain" was excellent and explained the history of Halong Bay, but shared his experience as an minority group in Vietnam. Thank you Princess Junk II, your staff were wonderful and accommodating!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Byron Bay, Australia
37 attraction reviews
“Dragons Pearl II - Began amazingly, but after a crew/guest drinking session, things became sloppy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2015 NEW

This is a difficult review to write and although we had a nice time, what happen is a bit too serious to throw in the 'no need to worry basket'

This cruise was to be a celebration for my 50th birthday, and I picked Indochina Junk because of its excellent reviews and ratings and in particular wanted to be on the Dragons Pearl because of the Cave Dinner.

First of all the crew of Dragons Pearl II were wonderful, very friendly and helpful. We found our Cabin to be spotlessly clean, roomy and light. The bed a little hard, but still slept well the first night. The bathroom is perfect - it was actually bigger and better than some of the bathrooms in our hotels we had stayed in. Most of the food and beverages - breakfast 1st day, lunch all three days and dinner both nights - were delicious. The breakfast on the last morning however was dreadful - just 1egg and 3 mini hotdog sausages and toast, extreamly poor fare.

The Bai Tu Long area we were cruising was fantastic and we were lucky enough to have perfect blue skies for the whole trip. And the ultimate joy of the trip was the cave dinner. This was amazing!

Now the not so good. Like I said this is a hard review to write because the crew were absolutely lovely and friendly.....perhaps a little too friendly.

On the afternoon of the 2nd day, a couple of the guests went down to the gallery to check out an octopus chef had brought from a local fisherman and they (the guests) ended up staying down there for lunch. As the afternoon progressed, more and more staff left the upstairs area, and lots of loud cheers and good-time rousing could be heard coming from the galley area down stairs. Those of us left up stairs at first weren't worried about the party downstairs and in-fact commented between ourselves about it being funny and what a wonderful interactive experience for the other guest to be having. The party continued on for at least 4hours plus and became louder and louder and as the afternoon wore on some of us began to wonder if the afternoon activities that we thought were to happen had been forgotten. Eventually the host and some of the other staff appeared along with the other guests who had been partying - all quite tipsy. At the time, I, along with others laughed and thought it funny but my humour quickly disappeared when it became apparent the captain had also been down there drinking. We were all then told we would be going kayaking over to a beach and around a small bay. I couldn't believe that guests who had been drinking and appeared quite intoxicated (as well as the host) were now going to get in kayaks and paddle around on water and be encouraged to have a swim. By this stage it was getting late in the afternoon and when it came time to leave for the cave dinner, it turned out some of the 'tispy guests' had fallen asleep and thus we had to wait until they were woken and reddyied so we could all go to the cave for dinner. This unfortunately made the evening a bit shorter than it probably would have been and the dinner was a little bit rushed - still the cave dinner was spectacular! Later that night back on the boat, the drinking session/party in the gallery began again and continued on till about 1am. As we were in the cabin close to the gallery we heard all the noise and were unable to sleep. The party stopped because one of the other guests went and asked them to 'give it a rest'.

Then the next morning we were asked to fill in feedback forms. I gave alot of thought to this form and at the time decided not to comment on the afternoon party but I did mention that the late night party in the galley had been a little noisy. At the time I did give an overall feedback of 'good' for everything else and I stand by that, everything else was good. However, my feedback sheet was read by our host/guide and upon returning to dock he came up to me and asked me why I mention the party and that the other guests were just having some enjoyment time with the crew. I replied that I had enjoyed the cruise but the party had been a little loud for that time of the night and we couldn't sleep. afterall, we were all told we had to be up at 6.30am.

Now I might be wrong, but we have the feeling that our host didnot like this feedback and decided to 'punish us' because for our transfers back to Hanoi we were moved to a normal mini-bus instead of the 'luxury van' we had originally came in. It was an extreamly uncomfortable 4hour ride back to Hanoi and at first we just 'sucked it up' because we thought this was what everyone else was getting too. We did think it strange that none of our other co-guests were on the mini-bus though. That was until we pulled up at our hotel in Hanoi and 'ran into' some of the other guests from our cruise who were staying 3doors up from us (and had been originaly in the luxury van with us on the way to the boat the first day) and found they had returned to Hanoi in the Luxury vans (as they should be) , along with a family who was excited at being 'upgraded'.

I have to say, we did enjoy the cruise very much, the bay is stunning, the cave dinner fabulous - that was the ultimate highlight of the cruise - and the top deck of the boat is so relaxing and enjoyable. I was a little disappointed to see that the boat looked a little shabby on the outside as it's being hand-painted white over the lovely teak look (and it's not a very good paint job), but when the sails are up the Junk looks lovely. I enjoyed very much the activities of kayaking and exploring the karatst, but I didn't enjoy being taken to a pearl shop, nor did I like being taken to a enormous gift shop on the way to the boat (first day) and being told we'd have to walk through it to get back on the van (it waits on the other side of the building). To give the shop it's due though it is a workplace for the disable and the art pieces are beautiful. but I really didn't appreciate being taken there and expected to 'buy'

I also felt the last morning we were rushed out. We were told to be awake at 6.30 and to be out of cabins at 10am. I know they need to get things prepared for the next lot of guests, but there was no time to really enjoy the bay on the last morning and in a sense, the last day is a bit of a loss. We then spent quite a bit of time sitting around the terminal waiting to leave.

Overall we had an amazing time with really lovely crew looking after us. They work very hard. And I actually don’t blame them for the ongoing late night drinking session, as I feel this was very much the fault of the couple of guests who encouraged them, but I think having crew and senior staff intoxicated whilst in charge of watercraft is quite a serious matter. This is most probably a one off incident, but it is the experience we had and I need to write a review that reflects that experience. I probably wouldn’t do another cruise in the Ha Long Bay area again, so I can’t say if I’d use this company again or not.

Sydney
8 attraction reviews
“Brilliant Birthday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2015 NEW

I booked 2 nights on Indochina Junk's Prince II Junk to celebrate my 40th birthday. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and the food blew us all away (both in flavour and the sheer quantity). There were 7 of us on the boat (myself, 4 of my friends and a couple) and the host Ha (Ryan) did a great job in keeping us all occupied, entertained and informed.

The Good:
- The food! Be prepared for each meal to take at least 1 hour as they generally consist of 7-8 courses, with each course as tasty as the next.
- The bathrooms were larger than bathrooms I've had on luxury cruise liners.
- Our host Ha was really friendly, spent time chatting with us and told us much about his life in Vietnam.
- We were provided with the luxury car transfer both to and from Hanoi at no extra charge.
- Lunch on day 2 was a bbq on the beach where our boat was the only boat there, so we had the entire beach to ourselves (until other boats arrived later in the afternoon).

The Average:
- The rooms are on the smaller size but are clean and comfortable. Definitely only bring an overnight bag as a suitcase will take up much of your living space.
- The boat was looking a bit worn down and could do with a few minor repairs (both in the shared areas and in the rooms).
- The same mooring is used for both nights - not a major issue, but it would have been nice to spend the second night in a different location for a change of scenery.
- Wine is pricey (but wine is not cheap anywhere in Vietnam) - all other drinks were reasonably priced.

The Bad:
- Nothing that I can list here.

Overall, Indochina Junk provides great service and excellent staff. They may be slightly higher in price than other operators but I believe they were truly worth the extra expense.

“Unforgettable Trip!! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2015 NEW

We recently spent 3 days/2 nights on the Dragon Pearl 2 junk with nine other couples. For us, this was the perfect size, not too quiet but not too crowded. The junk cruised in Bai Tu Long Bay.

Before going, a friend recommended going on a boat that did not go to Halong Bay but to the adjacent Bai Tu Long Bay which is bigger, less crowded and just as spectacular. Being on our honeymoon, this appealed to us. Based on our friend's advice, we chose Indochina Junk company as they have exclusive rights to the area we went to. We then chose Dragon Pearl 2 mainly because of the good food reviews and it did not disappoint. Fantastic food that keeps rolling out (including accommodating a vegetarian passenger on board) and an extensive drinks list. You will most definitely not go hungry or thirsty (nb: besides water, coffee, and tea, you pay for the drinks you order at the end of the trip).

Approaching the boat from our tender (transfer) boat it looked rather rustic but was lovely once on board and the room was more spacious than we expected. We were on the lower deck on the port side which had an uninterrupted view. One of our fellow passengers had a room on the lower deck on the starboard side towards the rear of the boat where the Dragon Pearl 2 pulled the tender boat. Their view was hindered and apparently the crew would sometimes get on the tender boat without notice which affected their privacy.

Thankfully the weather held off so we were able to dine outside for every meal which was lovely. Yes, it is group meals with strangers but that is what one expects going on a cruise like this! We sat with a different couple every meal and met some really interesting and diverse people. We have been "flying by the seat of our pants" for parts of our honeymoon so got a number of recommendations from fellow passengers who had been where we were going which has enriched our experience since the cruise.

There is a lot of kayaking on offer on this cruise. We discovered on the first day that we did not make a very good kayak pairing (?!) so we skipped the other two opportunities and opted for the more calming option of relaxing on the boat, reading a book and listening to music on the sun loungers - which suited us PERFECTLY! Only half of the group did the other kayak trip so there was no pressure. Cheung, our guide, was personable and funny while being professional at the same time. He really made the trip what it was. If you are not an experienced kayaker though, it would probably be worth asking for a quick kayaking lesson so you spend less time (and effort) trying to go keep the kayak straight and keep up with the group and more time admiring the incredible scenery!

We had thought that you may be able to do more swimming but there were quite a lot of jellyfish so the one person who jumped in briefly from the boat had a spotter. There was 1-1/2 hours for swimming/relaxing on the 2nd day at an "almost natural" beach which was lovely. The company leases an island from the Vietnamese Govt so has put more sand and some umbrellas. It was very safe and there didn't appear to be a jellyfish problem there.

Later that night, we went back to the same island and had a very memorable cave BBQ dinner. The crew are amazing at what they do and have obviously done it many times before as everything went so smoothly. You pre-order your drinks and they take what you want to the cave (as well as the food etc.) and serve it to you later!

The next day we went to the floating fishing village where locals take you around in row boats. It was interesting but is mainly just a tourist attraction now with few people living there. There was a pearl shop at the last stop (which even took card). We wanted to buy some pearls but didn't as we felt we would be holding up our fellow passengers who wanted to get back on the junk (although there was no hassling of any sort).

Getting back into the dock in Halong was an experience in itself with different tender boats ramming each other to get in. No queueing here - expect a few bumps from other boats vying for position!

Dragon Pearl 2 of the Indochina Junk company is highly recommended - great boat with excellent crew! An unforgettable trip!

“An amazing experience, not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2015 NEW via mobile

We stayed on Dragon Legend 1 for one night and would do it a over again in a heartbeat. The staff were so helpful and friendly from booking to dropping us back at the hotel in Hanoi. The trip from Hanoi was luxurious, we felt like celebrities in the luxury van. Wang, our tour guide onboard, was witty and took time to make sure we had precious family photographs and told us about the location. The food was brilliant, all staff on board were friendly, the kayaking and caves were incredible. Don't use any other company, this is by far the best!! Thank you for a brilliant experience

Visited May 2015