“Lovely quiet Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 53 Hotels in Dalat
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely quiet Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

We - being myself, my daughter and grand daughter - enjoyed our brief stay. I have to agree with some of the negative commets made by the previous reviewers, such as no heating, as we were only there for one night we were fine, once late afternoon hit it did get quite chilly up untill then the weather was perfect. I enjoyed roaming around the grounds and took lot's of lovely photos. Our room was very big and the beds very comfortable, the rooms were also very light and airy with a great bathroom.
For dinner that night we went to one of the restaurants, the service was wonderful, we were the only guests there. After looking at the wine list I was decided to try a Russian Champaign, the price was not bad and hoped it was enjoyable, unfortunately they bought a room temperature bottle to the table, I explained to the waitress that there was a problem, the restaurant manager came over and i explained that Champaign shoud be served really well chilled, she offered to get ice but as I explained it would still not be properly chilled and we would have finnished our meal. She was lovely and we chatted about serving Champaign amongst other things, she was totally unaware, a little training is needed. Some might find this annoying however I think it is part of travelling and smile to myself every time I think of it.

• Liked — The lovely big rooms and wonderful grounds
  • Disliked — We had a little rain and you had to run across to the restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, NSW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

Too far out of town. The rooms are very large but you don't want t spend your holiday sitting in a room. Not really any facilities expected in a resort. No pool, apparently not needed in Dalat there was a tennis court which seemed to be totally booked out by locals, bikes for hire (but no info) should be free considerig lack of things to do here. Poor breakfast choice, very limited bar, a small smoky room that doubled as a dining room thta had no view or atmosphere. Nice grounds.

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — The distance from town
  • Stayed April 2008
Perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2008

We were due to stay here for three nights but checked out after only one.
Why?
We had booked two rooms for a family of 5 (2 adults 3 kids). When we arrived both rooms had a double and single bed configuration so we asked that one single bed be move into the kid’s room so they all had their own bed. No trouble at all until the bed was moved by the staff and then I was "summonsed" to the front desk where they demanded I pay an extra $15/night and they wouldn't let me leave until I'd sign a consent to add the extra charge to my room.
Our room had shutters which could not be opened because the bed was in the way and staff claimed they could not move the bed. i.e. the room was pitch black all day!!! We asked to move and they did oblige but this took us away from our kids room. The kids room backed on to a noisy road (and this place was supposed to be quiet!) and the shutters where damaged and swung violently in any breeze.
The rooms were large but very unwelcoming (wood panelling not seen since the 70s). The bathrooms were done in dark colours and not inviting. Not enough hot water to fill a bath. No safe, no Kleenex.
We arrived on a rainy day in early January and it was freezing. The “resort” has no heating or air-conditioning - not acceptable for a 4 star "resort". We just couldn’t get warm and had to go into town to a restaurant to find somewhere warmer.
Breakfast was served in what looked like a school cafeteria which was fitting as there were about 50 noisy school children also there (I think from an international school in Saigon). Breakfast selection was limited with very little fruit (and Dalat is the place where Vietnam grows most of the cooler climate fruits!!!).
While the grounds are well maintained they are very sterile. The stone pavements are highly polished and deadly slippery when wet... definitely not suitable for anyone with disabilities or frail.
Hotel is a long way from town and very inconvenient.
I read on the web that the resort owners plan to spend money to upgrade the resort to 5 star. My view is they first need to get it to 4 star first!
We moved to the Blue Moon Hotel which was just opening. Despite builders still being in residence this place was far nicer, just one block from the Da Lat market, air-conditioning and heating, lovely rooms and all the mod cons for way less than what we were charged at the Hoang Anh Resort.

Stayed January 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

Huge rooms with porch, marble floors, clean and new, definitely a 4 star. Eleven 2 story Villa’s scattered around grounds. Shower and tub, no safe, no Kleenex, reading lighting fair, tennis courts, no heat or a/c but guide says there is never a need. Standard breakfast buffet but no bacon and I never had French fried onion rings offered at breakfast. I was able to pull a weak wi-fi connection from Villa 1 using my Buffalo high gain external antenna but free wi-fi and three desktops in Business Center. Two 500 ml bottles of water provided per day but you can buy a 1.5 liter downtown for 7,000VND. This is cheaper than Hanoi, there vendors ask for $1US but the going price is 5,000 dong for the half-liter and 10,000 dong for the 1.5 liter. Room rates (2008) Superior $69US, Deluxe $82 including 5% service and 10% tax.

• Liked — New clean and large rooms
  • Disliked — No airconditioning or heating but we didn't need in January
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

We recently spent 2 nights at the Hoang Anh Resort Hotel in Dalat. The hotel appears to be quite new with large rooms and nice bathrooms. The rooms have lots of wood, even wooden shutters inside the balcony doors. The bathrooms are stone and have separate tubs and shower stalls. (We had stayed at another Hoang Anh resort and the rooms seem identical.) The grounds are gorgeous with gardeners continuously working. The hotel is made up of a number of different buildings which is fine when the weather's nice but could pose a problem in bad weather. The rooms also don't have any heater although a space heater was very rapidly delivered to our room upon request.
We ate one dinner at the hotel and it was adequate. The breakfasts are not nearly as extensive as many other hotel I've stayed in in Vietnam and the service at breakfast was minimal at best. There was a limited bar but wine was only sold by the bottle, none by the glass. The internet was free and had a very fast connection. Their spa is so-so. The foot massages were quite good, but while my husband and a male friend found the massages good for their bodies recovering from a long, strenuous bike ride, a female friend and I were less than satisfied.
The Hoang Anh is a nice hotel but I know there are better hotels that are more centrally located in Dalat.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — Breakfast, lack of heat in room, and spa
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2008

This hotel is quite new, so the rooms were clean and well kept. The garden was just beautiful, so we took a few pictures during our 3 day stay. Quite a few restaurants to choose from, which we absolutely loved most of the meals available. The hotel was very busy during my stay, so there were many people staying here. The hotel is just a short 5 minute taxi ride into town, which cost about $2, so that wasn't a major problem. The downside about the hotel was that it got quite cold at night with no heating system provided, so bringing some warm clothes is recommended. I would recommend travelling to Dalat in early December because they had a very big flower festival that went on for a couple of weeks, which we unfortunately missed.

• Liked — The garden, quietness and the restaurants.
  • Disliked — No heating system.
  • Stayed December 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

The other reviewer must have gone at the wrong time of year as this place had all the amenities (including restaurant) you could want. The place looks amazing with beautiful villas and immaculate gardens. There is constantly a group of gardeners going about their business and smiling at you when you walk past. Although the location is a taxi ride from the city centre it is very peaceful and you can hardly hear Vietnam's familair motorbike beeps. At first we were placed in a room where the window didn't open and that didnt impress me, but then they moved us to a lovely open room with a beautiful view. The bathroom is huge!
There's a tennis court, free internet and the staff are helpful if not a little bit reserved. I recommend it!

• Liked — The gardens and the cute villas
  • Disliked — You couldn't walk to the city centre
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hoang Anh Resort? Share your experiences!