“Good hotel, not convinced by the service” 3 of 5 stars

Trung Cang Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Bui Thi Xuan St, Dalat, Vietnam   |
Ranked #28 of 50 hotels in Dalat
Zurich, Switzerland
“Good hotel, not convinced by the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We arrived here after a long and uncomfortable ride with Sinh Tourist (mentioning this here as the hotel is also a Sinh Tourist operation). We thought we had booked seats on a large and comfortable bus, and in fact we had seats assigned, but in the end it was a tiny bus with a free for all rush to grab a good seat. My partner is 190 cm and he couldn't even fit. Because there were 18 people on the bus, we also had a fight about our luggage. There was no space for it on this tiny bus, and one of the Sinh Tourist employees very rudely said that he wanted us to leave it behind and that it would be delivered later. We asked him if he would take responsibility of it if it got lost, and he said that if we didn't like it than we shouldn't get on the bus. We said we had paid for the ride and booked three days in advance and yes, we would get on that bus with our suitcases, after which the suitcases were placed in an opening next to some seats.

Anyway...when we got to the hotel, we were treated like some kind of criminals by the male receptionist and the booking agent. We had reserved and paid online from outside Vietnam, and when we showed up and gave the guy our reservation and invoice number, he looked at us blankly and said that he had never heard of us coming. He asked us for our receipt and we gave him the one which we had got online. And he said 'No', while laughing mockingly 'This is not a receipt', and he showed us the receipt one gets when one books at a booking office in Vietnam, which of course, we hadn't done. We explained this for about 2 minutes, after which he called someone in HCM to check our reservation. Then he took us to the booking office where we are asked to pay for the rest of our stay (this is also something I didn't like as you have to pay for the nights you are planning to stay immediately). Even after we had already paid, our passports were photocopied, plus our credit card (which was taken away from our sight to another room even if the guy had a photocopier right in front of him), and our passports were held by reception.
Finally, while we were sitting having lunch at the hotel restaurant, the same male receptionist asked for our payment receipt (we had only one copy and the booking agent had another). I asked if I could have a copy, and the guy starts laughing in my face. 'Why?' he asks. 'For myself' I say, and he laughs some more, as if I'm asking for the most ridiculous thing in the world (so they have our passports, have no clue who has booked and who has paid, and I'm supposed to give them my only copy of payment?).

I never saw this guy again, and he was replaced by a lovely lovely female receptionist. I have no problem with the rooms and the location and the price, which are all good, but we weren't made to feel exactly welcome upon arrival. For this reason, I wouldn't stay again, and I'd limit my time with Sinh tourist to as little as possible.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We didn't stay at the Hotel but we were talked into trying their 'western food' by the Sinh Cafe staff outside. After 2 weeks of Vietnamese we thought why not.

The table clothes were dirty, the staff no grasp of basic English (ok my Vietnamese is dreadful but come on, this is a hotel too), my beer was served alone as they didnt tell us they had no diet coke, despite taking our order for it for my girlfriend.

Anyway, cutlery was then served in a stained napkin, disgusting. I went outside for a cigarette and saw my food brought to the table. I had ordered Fried Beefsteak with Fries. It was served on a plastic dish in 3 separate sections. I thought I had been sent to prison! The steak was dire, the dozen fries i had were just crinkle cut fries, and in the other section was lettuce with some obscure sauce.

My partners meal wasnt far behind. We asked for fish and chips, bur were served up a plate of about 8 huge lumps of batter with some minute peices of fish inside. We then ordered some fires and we couldnt help but laugh when the young girl put down a plate with no lie, about ten crinkle cut fries on it!

Add to this terrible service, it was by far and away the worst meal of our holiday so far. We couldnt wait to get away. DO NOT EAT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

For 30 $ per room this is a very good choice while in Dalat. Rooms are quite big and very clean, staff is friendly and there's a Booking office infront of hotel, so you can get arrangment around and in the city, 2, 3 or more days trip. Rooms facing streets are noisy, but that's a common Vietnamese problem :)

Breakfast is nice, but it takes staff a while to bring more food if they run out.

Room Tip: Get a roomnot facing the street :)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Siem Reap, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Having just arrived in Dalat from Mui Ne after travelling on the Sinh Tourist bus, we were dropped off right outside the Trung Cang hotel. After the long journey, we decided to just stay there as it was so convenient. I have to say, it was an excellent choice! The room was lovely and spotlessly clean. Breakfast was absolutely fine, for the price you pay you can't really complain! The only criticism I have is that the wifi didn't work on the top floor so had to sit by reception to use (really not that much of a problem!).

Would recommend going on a tour to the waterfalls, had a nice day. We booked it with Sinh Tourist at the office right next to the hotel. Also if you do stay here GO TO THE V CAFE!!! This restaurant is so so nice (one of the few we could find in Dalat to be honest!) and its just up the road on the opposite side from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I have been there 2 nights: nice room with nice view, good location, very central, good buffet breakfast, good value.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights, the previous complaints about the breakfast are somewhat valid. We found we needed to be at the buffet by 06:30-07:00 each morning or face a poor spread of leftovers that had gone cold. The breakfast is also mainly vietnamese, a noodles and rice offering with some cakes and toast thrown in for the westerners. As for the rooms we found ours tidy and well appointed with excellent and superfast wi-fi, they tend not to refill the coffee/teas or clean cups when they make up the room which is another 'crinkle' but generally everything was of a high standard. As for noise, depending on where you are in the building dictates how noisy it is, we were 3 steps from reception but this was still fine for me. Staff are friendly and helpful when asked - but you do have to ask. I put some money and credit cards in the reception safe and they were very professional about this with signed seals on envelopes, signed reciepts for me and the cashier etc. As for convinience - you cant beat it, V cafe (excellent western fare and big portions) is across the road as is Easy Riders (ask for Paddy - nice guy), Sinh Cafe is next door and the Open Tour Bus drops off and picks up outside the hotel. Generally I think the hotel is good and value for money, its just more set up for Vietnaese travellers and not specifically targetted at westerners like some others BUT Vietnam is where you are travelling!

Room Tip: Basement is a touch damp and windowless but cheaper, stay on the ground floor or above.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Room was a little cramped but cheap so no complaints really. Breakfast spread quite good. As usual in Vietnam, coffee was awful though. Easy Rider tour around Dalat opposite was first-class.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Trung Cang Hotel? Share your experiences!