“Nice views & location, not so good facilities” 2 of 5 stars

Ngoc Lan Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   42 Nguyen Chi Thanh St, Dalat, Vietnam   |
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Dalat
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice views & location, not so good facilities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

Stayed here for one night before we met up with the easy riders for a 3 day tour of the area. We were pleasantly surprised by the size and cleanliness of the hotel. Our room was lovely with a great view over the lake but would have been even better to have a balcony as the temperature allows you to sit out in the evenings (no need for air con in Dalat). Breakfast was ok, not much western food to choose from but we found this throughout all the hotels in Asia we visited so not a surprise. As we'd been travelling a bit before we got here we decided to get a massage and use the jacuzzi & steam room. This area of the hotel is very much underdeveloped and I would NOT recommend a visit. After our very underwhelming massage an older girl entered each of the massage rooms and demanded we tip the massure (which we were going to either way anyway!) but I found this very unnerving. When I handed over the tip she demanded more. At this point I felt a bit unsafe, I said no and left very quickly!! The whole experience left me quite upset for the rest of the evening in an otherwise nice hotel. I think if you're only staying a couple of days here (and there's not a lot really to see unless you're meeting up with the easyriders) I'd say you'd get better value in other hotels in the area.

• Liked — View over the lake
  • Disliked — unprofessional staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Indonesian first
Saigon(HCMC)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

Having previously stayed five nights at the Sofitel DALAT PALACE (4/2006)and four nights at THE DREAMS (4/2007@164B PDP St) , I have some background when I maintain that the overall best accommodation option currently available in Dalat is the NGOC LAN HOTEL. For strict budget travelers the Dreams is possibly the best option but if you can spend a little more...
There isn't a more convenient, or practical, location available. Many of Dalat's attractions are only a short, easy stroll from the Ngoc Lan's lobby. Our room had a balcony with an unobstructed view over the very photogenic Xuan Huong Lake.
The breakfast buffet is very nicely done with a wide variety of dishes including eggs prepared to order.
The Ngoc Lan's ground floor restaurant, and the whole hotel, are gorgeously decorated in shades of purple and violet. Our bed was huge, the bathroom included a separate glass enclosed shower and a full size Bathtub with another shower. A room safe and luxurious bathrobes were in the closet. WiFi everywhere.
The hotel is technologically up to date, including even a remote control for our rooms' lighting. Having stayed in many hotels throughout Vietnam what stood out for me at the Ngoc Lan was how very clean everything was in general and especially our room and bathroom. Just saying...

I had planned to stay at the Dreams2 again for my third annual Dalat visit (I am living in steamy Saigon) and had made a reservation and requested the same room as we had occupied and enjoyed (for the price) last year. Unfortunately that room was not available when I arrived, not nice, so after looking around Dalat I was able to negotiate a great discount at the Ngoc Lan's reception, after they consulted with the manager. There didn't seem to be as many tourists in Dalat during April this year so they were amenable to my reasonable offer. We loved staying at this hotel, and so will you.

• Liked — Cleanliness; Value; Location; Beautiful Room; Wonderful Included Breakfast Buffet;
  • Disliked — Noisy motorbikes down below on the streets early in the morning.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Saigon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007

We have just returned from a short break to Dalat and stayed at the Ngoc Lan.
The location of the hotel is absolutely superb . Its opposite but a bit further down than Golf 3 and commands excellent views of almost the entire Xuan Huong lake.
We stayed in one of their deluxe rooms and were very happily surprised about not only the size ( large living area , bed but also a proper size bathroom and bath tub , which is hard to find in most hotels in Vietnam.)
Breakfast is included in the price and was adequate though they could have had a larger choice of non Vietnamese food .
Overall service from house keeping to the front office etc was above average and we did appreciate the welcome letter from their general manager upon check in.
The welcome drink was also a nice touch.
It is an excellent hotel and I will recommend people to go and stay.
The only drawback though is that some of the staff's english is non existent and that some of their reception staff need to be trained further .

• Liked — The spectacular Viwqa from the room balcony
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ngoc Lan Hotel? Share your experiences!