“Somehow this hotel just does not quite make the grade.” 3 of 5 stars

River Prince Hotel
135-145 Phan Dinh Phung | Ward 2, Dalat, Vietnam   |
Ranked #30 of 50 hotels in Dalat
Gold Coast City
“Somehow this hotel just does not quite make the grade.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Although the rooms are quite a good size, bordering on large the rooms on both sides of this hotel are subject to traffic noise (the rooms at the back may be marginally quieter. While the noise subsides relatively early of an evening it starts up again before 5 o'clock each morning.

While not an issue for me the lack of air conditioning in the rooms may be of concern to some travellers; it would have been good to have been able to open a window - despite the added noise.

Rooms on the street side look out onto third world slums, perched on the hill immediately behind the commercial premises opposite the hotel. This could be somewhat disconcerting for many guests.

Breakfasts were decidedly average, coffee was only lukewarm and the small portion of fresh fruit, as well as the jam, each morning was penny pinching and mean, particularly as these items are plentiful and inexpensive in the market close by.

Room Tip: Due to the morning traffic noise ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Busselton, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

We arrived by bus from Nha Trang – now that was an experience in itself (another story altogether). One thing I do appreciate about the buses is that they then deliver you to your hotel. Sometimes the drivers are happy about it and sometimes they are not – ours was a little put out but we arrived in one piece.

Shown to our room and organized another pillow or two – which arrived in a flash. Nothing wrong with the housekeeping department in this place, there was nothing that was not asked for that was not delivered within 5 minutes. I must say that I was very impressed. There is no air conditioning there and it was a little hot but housekeeping got a fan to the room as soon as asked. I can see that the air conditioning is actually available but I think that it was never put in. As the weather is so delightful in Dalat the fan was really all that we needed.

One very impressive Receptionist who spoke English and was a delight actually made our stay far more enjoyable. So River Prince Hotel Management, make sure you look after her because she is a real gem in your hotel.

Now for the biggest let down! We went into the restaurant for breakfast – now I realize that it is a big hotel and tour groups are important, but I was totally blown away. In the middle of the dining room there was a DOG!!!!! Now I don’t expect the same health conditions we have here in Australia, but when I read that NO PETS are allowed and then to find one!!! This did not bode well with me. Next problem was the floor. We decided to go down late as tour groups are usually gone by then. Unfortunately there was still one bus left and the place reeked of smoke and the butts were all over the floor!!!

The have on their card, which we always get once arriving so we don’t get lost, that on the 6th floor is a spa and massage – now that was a treat as it only goes to 5 floors!!!

What I do actually suggest is that for the River Prince Management to upgrade their dining facilities and give their staff some instruction on how to look after their dining room, as I would never go back to their restaurant again. I would hope that in the future that they can sort out this problem because the hotel on the whole is a very nice and convenient place to stay. It worked well for the 5 of us anyway.

I don’t think I will be recommending it to anyone though, a real shame cos it has so much potential.

There is a great little coffee shop straight over the road with a great owner and a delightful waitress. Every time we went in she got our seats and tables sorted for the 5 of us and got my husband and I our coffee and we did not even have to ask.

Room Tip: Great place to stay, but just don't eat there!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

We stayed 2 nights in August 2011, don't be conned by the name as there certainly isn't any river in view. Not much view at all actually. Nice clean hotel, good staff, secure parking, nice buffet breakfast. Only strange thing was there was no list of services book in the room, although once you found out the reception number, very helpfull. I wanted a wine bottle opener, they can't assist you with that apparrently?? Probably stay there again although there is better locations.

Cheers

Room Tip: Make sure you find out if the room has a double bed, most rooms we had were 2 big singles
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for two nights. We originally wanted to stay in Dreams Hotel but this was fully booked, so we rocked up at the River Prince.

The room we got was huge, the biggest hotel room I've ever seen! I think they may have over estimated room sizes when they built the hotel, there has to be one tiny room at the end of the corridor somewhere!
It was like someone came in and stole some of the furniture, as the furniture in the room was lost, you could of fit another bed and couch in the room and the room still would of looked big! The room seemed to have what you need expect a safe, which I think is needed in this day and age.
Breakfast was included but it more of an Asian style breakfast rather than continental, which I suppose suited their target market. There was a small selection of continental breakfast, a little more variety would of been nice.
They had great customer service, I just think as the hotel is so new they are still inexperienced, but experience will come in time and it could be a fantastic hotel

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in June, 2011. The rooms are nice, but that is the only good thing i can say. The breakfast buffet was the worst I have had in all my travels through out Asia the food looked old and was far from appetizing. There is also no a/c in the room just a fan and it did get pretty hot. The bathtub is so flimsy that you feel like you are going to fall right through it when you are taking a shower.

The staff is nice, but very young and very limited english, so if you need help or have a question it can be difficult.

The wireless reception in the room was horrible, and there was a router just outside my door.

This hotel does have good potential, but they are definitely far away from it now. This hotel may be good for Vietnamese travelling but because of the inexperienced staff, and lack of anyone really good speaking, I would not recommend this for tourists at all

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Chose this hotel from a good review on Agoda but this will never be the claimed 4 star hotel its wants to be for a number of reasons.

Design, a recently and quickly built hotel there are number of problems the most serious of which are the thin wall and windows which with cheap plastic timber and tile floors allow street noise to amplify and bounce off street facing room walls. This is not obvious in the lobby as it is 10mm plate glass but not in the rooms. Our request for an immediate move had to done on the porters mobile 'phone as the room phone didn't work!

The next room was an end of corridor back room and was less noisy. However the adjoining room door is a single one and also had a large gap under it allowing a major beam of light through plus neighbours noise.

2 power sockets were not connected to the large circuit breaker box in the room and an extension cords was provided for the TV and fan - necessary in May. Public rooms a/c but noisy, corridors a/c and carpet but uneven due to floor problems and poor carpet laying and fitting.

Bath but shower curtain and gap between bath and corner of room evidence of inexpert design plus making bathroom floor wet - plenty of hot water at least when only 6 of us in hotel.

Staff are of the smiles but not helpful variety. Asked for a map of the area, sent to the supermarket next door who didn't have the paid for map. Reception later produced the usual photocopy map.

Restaurant staff can't read their own menus in Vietnamese and brought boiled eggs for scrambled! Instead of sitting down, chatting whilst waiting for customers it seems they should be learning to read Vietnamese and then trying to get a better handle on English.

Hard bed, no flowers in room and nothing to make us book our intended 3 further days in Da Lat. We moved to a 2 star and forewent the lift for better service!

Kettle for tea provided but had to be plugged in on corner of bedside table or floor due to power socket problem.

Location over hill from Town centre opposite Peace Hotel!

Other design or yet to be finished problems included water leaking from downlighter in dining room, noisy fridges in rooms, we could turn ours off but you could hear next doors! No door between basement garage and reception above, fumes of diesel etc creep up. Heavy duty unconnected electric cable above dining room entrance. Noisy pubic area a/c.

WiFi ran out 5 rooms from ours, router hangs from corridor ceiling! No restaurant except at breakfast, lobby and 1st floor public area empty!

Room Tip: avoid or specify rear rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011 via mobile

Great hotel only 5min walk to the markets. There is no air con but a fan was all we needed. The room was huge had a couch an two chairs and floor to ceiling windows (we stayed in junior suite) good to be away from the busy market area where lots of hotels are

• Stayed May 2011

Been to River Prince Hotel? Share your experiences!