“Good value” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 50 hotels in Dalat
Darwin
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Stayed here late December during the flower festival. At $15 a night the room was adequate although the beds were about three-quarter size. Cold at night and with one blanket each hubby and I shared one bed and 2 blankets. .Bit of a tight squeeze. Our room also smelt of stale cigarette smoke the entire time we were there even though we aired the room each day. I think it was in the lounge chairs!

Breakfast was fine. Overall good value, but a bit out of the way and for an extra $5 you could better. However, if you are on a tight budget there's nothing wrong with it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
Dalat, Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here before taking Easy Rider tour. Nice friendly staff, good value, the beds were kind of hard. Definitely great for budget travelers.

• Stayed December 2011
Cairns, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I can't say with 100% certainty that the money was taken at the hotel, but 200,000 dong (and a few U.S. dollars) went missing from my bag in the hotel room at some point. It very well could have been taken on my bus journey to Da Lat, but my bag was in my possession (or in the care of my boyfriend) during our bus journey. They took only a portion of the money in my bag, which would lead me to believe they didn't want me to notice (if it was taken on the bus, I don't think they would have taken such care, they would take the entire amount) - but I know for certain the money was taken. The hotel was cheap, yes, but they took the equivalent of a night in the hotel, I would rather spend that somewhere I can trust. We stayed one night and left the room several times for meals (we made sure to lock the door), and checked out promptly when we found the money had gone missing.

My advice if you decide to stay here - know how much money you have, don't leave it in the room (I try not to carry all of my cash on me, but now I'm rethinking that strategy), check your valuables at the front desk & receive a receipt for them (don't leave them in the room). I don't think it is the front desk woman (she seemed genuinely surprised when we mentioned money may have gone missing in our room), but I suspect that there is someone dishonest working at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't leave valuables in the room. Or just go next door to the pink villa (where we ended up st...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011 via mobile

Binh yen affiliation to the Freelance Easy Rider Bike Tour
We got dropped off by open bus company at this hotel and on arrival were told about the 1 day countryside freelance easy rider tour on a motorbike. This company is affiliated to the binh yen hotel hence our review.The manager said that if we are unhappy about the tour he would refund us our money. The following day we were picked up at our hotel and in general enjoyed the tour . We want to warn other fellow tourists about the stop at the weasel coffee / rice wine shop. We believe this is a scam and suspect that the Freelance Easy Rider company is in on the act. Weasels are kept in cages at the back of the shop. We feel very silly falling for the scam. Pd 1000 000 dong for 100grams only to find out that you can buy it for 300 000 dong per kg! In Dalat at a proper coffee shop (not the market) and 600 000 dong per kg in Hanoi. As we wanted to be fair to the manager, we went back to the hotel the next day and explained to him that we are unhappy. He got very aggressive. We still do not know if the coffee that we bought is the real thing...It is unfortunate that in Vietnam in general you are in constant risk of failing prey of scams and it is therefor our responsibility to take the effort and time to warn future tourists of possible rip offs. Skip this coffee shop as a place to visit as we saw other tourists. We also did not enjoy the minority village, monkey is kept on a chain, give it a miss. Website address of freelance easy rider company did not work so we could not check validity.

• Stayed December 2011
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

For $5/night including breakfast you can't go wrong. We got dropped off right in front of this hotel, later to find out there were many in the close vicinity. Next time I would probably check the other ones out to compare first, but otherwise I can't complain.

I slept well here for two nights. Shower was warm, but you had to hold it up. It was clean. The staff were friendly and there was wifi in the room.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here 2 nights after we had been dropped of here in a minibus. At first it looked OK, the rooms are big, and since it even was in the lonely planet we tought it was OK. The shower didn't work propperly, most of the time no water (and cold) the musquito nets are actually a hole with a little bit of net in it and worst of all our open tour bustickets got stolen from our room during our motorcycletour. We booked the motorcycletour in the hotel with this guy who enters the bus on arrival and then wants to give you some information after you've checked in. He told us normally it is costs 30 dollars but he charges 20. He gives you a list of all sights and you can pay afterwards. The trip itself was great with nice guides. But when we arrived back we had missed some sights and when we confronted the guy who sokd us the tour he had this information form he showed is the day before only now with a price of 30 dollars. We didn't even want to pay 20 because he lied to us, but he didn't let us go blocked the door and told the busdriver not to take us (this scene played during our departure from dalat), so we had to pay him...
The open bustickets that got stolen were a different story. They still had our information @ hahn cafe so we got new ones for free. We feld the cleaner did it because he was a weird guy. He spoke no english so when the girl from the reception came an we said we wanted to go to the police she said we could go there but we wouldn't get our passports back if we did.
All in all a horror stay at this hotel and I would recommend not to go there.

• Stayed October 2011
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed here for two nights in late September, in hindsight we should have checked out on day one but we had a tour booked and just seemed ok, but the second night the dust mites properly dug in, we ended up sleeping in our own sleeping bag liners and using our own pillow cases. My wife slept in her rain proof with the hood up! We both left with bunged up noses and painful sinuses.

We also have reason to believe our open bus tickets were sold on to a cheaper company as the quality of bus we arrived on was not repeated.

All in all it may be cheap but you get what you pay for and we would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Book a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Binh Yen Hotel? Share your experiences!