“Nice hotel, very quiet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of D Varee Mai Khao Beach

You added D Varee Mai Khao Beach to your Saves list
D Varee Mai Khao Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   128/2 Moo 3, Mai-khao, Thalang, Phuket 83110, Thailand (Formerly Piraya Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #522 of 648 Hotels in Phuket
Derby, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, very quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2014

My girlfriend and I were here for one night before were flew back to bangkok. It was a stop off for us. The main reason i chose this hotel was because i had read it was close to the airport. Its about a 15/20min drive away. As we arrived the hotel looked nice. The staff were helpful but struggled to understand English. Our room wasnt ready on arrival so we had lunch whilst waiting (lunch and dinner menu is the same).

When we arrived in the room we were very happy with it. It was big and spacious. Very modern and the swimming pool was on our doorstep. There was an impressive control pad that controlled everything in the room from the air conditioning to lights. The pool is nice and big.
The best part of the hotel is the fact the beach is literally at the back of it. Beautiful beach. Nice and relaxing.

One thing to note, im not sure if it was low season or what, but the hotel was virtually empty. For a big hotel i reckon i saw about 5 people in total. It was a ghost town. Didn't bother us though we liked the peace and quiet. The beach was also very quiet. The hotel is very isolated so would not reccomend staying here for more than a few days. Phuket town is an hour drive away and there is nothing close by.

We enjoyed our stay though. I had read some bad reviews about this place but cant see what the problem was. Location is the only downfall. Would only use it as a stop off to airport. Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground level so you have a swim up pool
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Thai first
Phuket,Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

We are two and arrived in difference time. My colleage check in early, there is no welcome drink served. Myself arrived in the evening and the welcome drink served at arrival. Take a dinner after my arrival, menu variety is very pool and expensive. I order salad and Spaghetti, waitress served me both dishes in the same time. During I eat salad, staff ask if I want to eat salad first. I say yes then she move my Spaghetti to the counter. After finish salad she return my Spaghetti. Unbelievable it become stone, dry and very cold. Terrible? In our room, it is rusty every the floor scatched ans look dirty. Decoration and furniture in the room is below international standard. The pool is very big but really dirty all day. It looks like has never be clean for a year. Breakfast is less variety. Staff is poor manner. Only lady at egg station is friendly and show care during my stay.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Rawai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2014

The staff are kind, Chinese tour buses are rude, loud and annoying. The room stunk like mold, immediately you could smell it in elevator. Our ac broke, Internet sucked in room and turned off constantly. Power outage twice. Asked for toothpaste, knowing there was a market mins away. Told us to go to holiday inn to get, or 7-11 40 miles by foot. we were never picked up at airport, knowing I was coming in, I had paid online transfers, DO NOT REccommend, it's 3 times amount. Just take address of hotel and you'll pay less and no stress!
The breakfast was good but every morning there were birds, it's understaffed rt now, pools are beautiful, but the one by the sea was gross and closed! Hear me, go somewhere else! This place is jacked up. Nice staff, sure they have no control! We are now staying in a place in Rawainfoe $24. Us dollars and it makes DVaree look like a hole. Nothing musty here!
So if you are going for the closeness to airport, go to Holiday Inn express!

Room Tip: Don't go! There are big issues, no matter what season you go in, mold is present!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Sacramento, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

I made a booking on booking.com for this hotel in May 2014, which, according to the hotel policy, was cancelable until July 2014. The hotel not only charged me shortly after I made the booking in May, which they were not supposed to do, but when I cancelled in June they did not refund my money. So far, they are not responding to Booking.com's inquiries. (Why they were able to charge me is another concern I have with booking.com) Don't book with D Varee Mai Khao Beach unless you know for sure you want to pay them!

Stayed July 2014
Pradtana T, Operation Manager at D Varee Mai Khao Beach, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Khun Travelling Teacher, Sacramento, CA

We have to say apologized for the service delay refunds; anyhow please allow me to explain you about this situation as details of below;
The hotel contact to bank immediately whenever we received a phone call from Booking.com. However, the process has to follow by bank policy and we cannot control the Bank process at all. Therefore, we have to wait for the Bank processing and that should take about a few weeks for data monitoring.
Please kindly do understand for the bank policy.

Best Regards,
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This was my first stay in Mai khao beach with family. Hotel is far from airport only 15 minute by car. Here staff is friendly and helpful. In room is clean & big with separate shower from bathtub in bathroom. There are 3 swimming pools and i like the big one that on beach. This is very private beach , I and my family like this hotel over all is good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was a bit of a strange hotel because it fills up with coach loads of Chinese tourists at 9pm each night who all leave before 9am the next morning. So my experience was that the hotel was very noisy for a few hours at night but completely dead in the daytime. I had the enormous pool to myself for the 2 days I stayed there which was great, if a bit strange.

The first night I had a room on a higher floor but there was a lot of mildew and by the next morning I was feeling very unwell from the smell. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and they offered to move me to another room which was better ventilated and maintained.

Both rooms are showing their age and are looking a bit shabby – badly scratched floor boards, dents in the furniture and everything needs a good lick of paint. The housekeeping in the first room was also shoddy with a lot hair in the bathroom (including stuck to the door handle – yuck!) and even a tour sticker on the door from a previous guest.

The second room had pool access which was convenient but it had less light than the higher floor room. There was a fridge in the rooms but no minibar, however, reception has a 24hr snack shop at relatively reasonable prices which you can stock up on. The TV only had one English channel (Channelnews Asia) and the picture was quite poor.

The internet signal was quite weak and frequently dropped out. The spa is closed down but there is one next door at the Holiday Inn as well as cheap local massage on the beach. Only one restaurant (at the lobby) was open for meals outside breakfast and the food was good if a little expensive. There are a couple of local restaurants that are cheaper a 5 minute walk down the road past the Holiday Inn. It also only took 30 mins to walk up the beach to some of the bigger resorts at Mai Khao.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms seem to be better maintained than those on higher floors
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Khun Talltaff, Singapore

First of all we have to say apologized for your inconvenience while stayed with us. For the Chinese groups, the hotel was never stood still for this event. Our staff always pays an attention to them all the time but the nature of the Chinese always talks loudly. Therefore, we try to pay more attention. On the other hands, the most of Chinese guests are travelling in this season and we have to service the Chinese guests also follow by the season.
For the room as of your comments, the hotel confesses that we have several rooms there are similar with the one that you comment. However, all rooms are under fixing and touch up right away but there are kind of hard to fix them in the same time because the rooms have to open for service the guests also and the restitution requires a relatively long time. We hope to have a planned schedule of all the repairs and kindly hope you do understand in this situation.
If that possible, we kindly hope to get chance from you again with a better room and service.

Best Regards,
Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I spend 2 nights stay at D Varee Mai Khao Beach. The room is very nice especially bathroom (very big). The room is clean and comfortable to stay. Pool is perfect and clean. The beach of hotel is very beautiful and private, I love this hotel and will come back for sure.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to D Varee Mai Khao Beach? Share your experiences!