You added Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket to your Saves list
Ranked #225 of 648 Hotels in Phuket
Zilzie, Australia
“Huge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights to stay somewhere different from our usual area, this place was lovely, it is huge spread out over acres and acres, our room was a suite and it was very very nice, kitchen not that we used it was very nice, bed was a king it was a great room, huge spa bath seperate shower lots of toiletries on offer. There is a little minmart about 5 minsutes up the road where the staff are lovely, it is very inexpensive. On the 2nd night the resort was opening a minimart of its own so that was great it is very nice and everything you would need, there is also a coffee shop ( I didn't try sorry). There are no restaurants on the beach or hawkers selling stuff, which I was a bit disappointed about. The breakfast was amazing, staff friendly, and the waterpark was fun. The noise from the airport was tolerable, you can see the airport from the resort, but that didn't really take away from this place , there are pools everywhere and the main pool by the beach is massive. Only a 10 minute shuttle to the airport so if you want the convienence of that it is excellant also. We also booked this while we were staying at our other resort so just showing the staff the confirmation email was easy, but make sure you go over exactly what is in your package,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Andreas K, General Manager at Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this review, December 21, 2012

Warm Greetings from Phuket to Australia

Thank you ever so much for your kind review here on Tripadvisor and I am very happy to hear that you had a great stay with us and that our huge Resort made such a positive impression. Beach use, I would have to say it is a coin with 2 sites, for one it is undisturbed and only the sun, sea and you, on the other, if you are looking for some activities, it is not likely to happen anytime soon, as the whole area is part of a National Park. It clearly is a pro and con point, similar to the Airport. For some it is an attraction and for others it just not as well received, even that the actual activity at Phuket Airport is not that high in general normally. I will gladly pass on to my Team your praise for the friendliness and they for sure will appreciate your comments and will ascertain them that we are on the right track.

Again thank you for your feedback and we all hope to welcome you back soon here in Phuket.

Best Wishes

Andreas Korf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We had a good deal on a three bedroom penthouse for three nights and we found out on arrival that this was because much of the hotel was still being constructed. We didn’t hear much noise but there are whole sections of apartments still being fitted out. There is plenty of noise, however, from the airport which is practically attached to the hotel and large tour groups from mainland China.

The most annoying thing was that even though the hotel is stupidly close to the airport you need to drive almost the entire perimeter of the airport to get to the hotel and taxis at the airport will try to charge 500THB. With some haggling you can get it to 300THB. But a trip to Nai Yang (the next village) will cost 500THB from the hotel and Phuket Town/Patong is 1000THB plus.

The hotel is also so new that no real micro-economy has developed outside the gates yet. So with the exception of one restaurant (that seemed closed every time we passed) you are stuck with the food options at the hotel which are limited. It is possible to walk to Nai Yang along the beach but you have to be really careful about the tides so as not to get stranded and it’s not a good idea to do this at night (as we did).

The location of this resort is only good if you have no intention of leaving.

The penthouse apartment was large with a very small dipping pool on the roof (with good views of the airport – you can see the planes taking off and landing quite close up). There was heavy rain during our stay and much of the apartment leaked. The apartments do not seem to be very solidly built.

Each of the three bedrooms had some sort of view/balcony and an ensuite bathroom with Jacuzzi bath and a really poor shower with pathetic water pressure. The kitchen area had plenty of crockery, glasses and utensils. The internet only worked in limited places.

Breakfast was quite average, very small and everything was covered in flies. The staff were not very helpful either. The Italian restaurant was a bit better but the room service we ordered one night was pretty awful, showed up cold and was of low quality.

The staff at reception were quite hopeless. Their knowledge of the resort, local area and Phuket in general was poor. The lobby pretty much fell apart in the rain, flooded and staff seemed to spend more time organizing furniture to avoid leaks than helping guests.

The fitness centre was OK and had some good equipment but again the staff were useless. I did like the main pool area near the beach with lots of space, loungers and cabanas but there was a lack of staff in the pool area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the beach if you don't like walking
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Andreas K, General Manager at Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this review, December 17, 2012

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you for your feedback here on Tripadvisor and thank you as well for your mentioned areas of improvement. As you stayed with us in September, I am glad to say a lot of things have changed over the last 3 months. The construction you mentioned, is actually the waterproofing and renovation of individual units which unfortunately at that time was delayed due to heavy rains, however the actual work you seen was simply to prevent any future leaks from happening and except some few outstanding Villas, the work is almost done by now. Transportation is an ongoing issue for the whole of Phuket, and it seems it is not going to change anytime soon I am afraid to say. For the inside offer, we do have now 3 outlets (All Day Dining, Italian, Thai) on offer and 2 more in the Waterpark. In addition our new Executive Chef is with us and the new Italian Chef shortly and I can honestly say, vast improvements have been made, stated as well in the majority of the recent reviews here. For the outside offerings, indeed the local area is developing rapidly, there are currently 2 Restaurants being built, 1 already opened, massage and bar places opening up, so as you mentioned the micro economy here from the local site did increase heavily. For the Reception and Fitness Club, I will talk to the relevant Department and address this issue, they are normally well informed about the surroundings and we have a specialist tour desk in the Lobby to cover all questions for excursions or other trips.

Again, a lot has changed since you stayed and I sure hope we have the chance again to welcome you at our Resort so you can experience it for yourself.

With Best Wishes

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The expectations went down the drain from the moment we landed at Phuket International Airport. No pickup hence we had to arrange for our own transport to the Resort. We arrived at a so called 5 tar Resort were basically nobody attends to welcome you. I was surprised and was expecting that at least 1 staff would attend to us to show us around, take care of the check in but none of this was the case. No welcome drink, no briefing, had to wait for appr 4 hours before the room was made available. This was very surprising as other guest whom I saw arrive at a later stage did get the proper treatment. Later I learned that these were russian guests and as the owner is russian I believe they are treated differently then others. Odd but true. Having said that, the resort is mainly occupied by russian tourists. All in all not a problem but the majority of russians didn't showcase any manners towards others tourists or the hotel staff and I believe this has reflected negatively on the usual Thai friendliness as even the staff of the resort seemed cold and unfriendly.
The first evening of our stay we dined at the Thai Restaurant of the resort. Never in my life have I eaten such bad Thai Food and the money spend was definitely not worth it.
Flies are everywhere in the resort, especially in the restaurant areas. I am not referring to a couple of flies but entire swarms. One afternoon we decided to eat at Coffee-M and one of my family members had to swat of the flies in order for the others to be able to eat. Simply disgusting.
The pool bar is another disappointment. It was playing the same songs over and over again. Believe it was a disc with 20 songs that was played the entire day. Gets annoying after a while. The service of the bartender was poor. Half of the time he wasn't around and when he was he forget most of the order.
And to end everything, the hotel doesn't make any transport arrangements to the airport. Guests are supposed to make there own arrangements. Is this a 5 star treatment? Don't think so.

I have never had such a poor experience and based upon the above I would not rate this a 5 star hotel. At max 2-3 star. I have received much better services in some of the 3 star hotels that I have stayed in the past. I will never return to this resort and neither will I recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Andreas K, General Manager at Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Mr. Beks

Greetings from Phuket

It is truly sorry to read your feedback from your current stay with us and it is clearly something disappointing to hear. However, allow me to get some points from your review corrected. We do have transportation to and from the airport, which like most other Hotels in Phuket, need to be booked in advance and yes unfortunately we are not able to offer a free of charge shuttle due to local arrangements. We were not able to find a booking request in this regards on the reservation correspondents. As well you arrival time was in the morning and as check out time is not until noon, the room was only available at around 2pm which is our official check in time, as well as far as I am aware you did spent the waiting time already enjoying our Waterpark and again, there is no mention of an early check in with your correspondence. We are not owned by a Russian owner, rather British owned and Thai managed, we do have certainly guests from Russia which is not something new in Phuket. The Thai Restaurant just opened his doors a few days before your arrival and the feedback so far is nothing but good for service and food quality. Coffee N Me, as clearly signed before entrance is neither operated or managed by Centara, so I am not able to comment on this fact.

For the service issue you mentioned, contrary to the majority of the latest reviews which clearly indicate otherwise, I will certainly take it on board and discuss with my team. For any reader of the reviews, please do not wait after you check out if something need to be rectified. We are here for you 24/7, otherwise it is simply too late for us to assist. As well, for any request like transfer or early check in, please contact us/me anytime before, so we can clarify and arrange.

Again thank you for your comments and I sure hope you will give us a second chance in the future and please contact me directly for any further assistance. email: gmcgwp@chr.co.th

Kind Regards

Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

From arrival to departure, everything was great. The entire staff we came in contact with were attentive and friendly. The whole family enjoyed Splash Jungle, and the pool. The buffet breakfast had improved greatly since our last stay 6 months ago. Highly recommend if you have kids that enjoy water; pool, beach, water park......

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Andreas K, General Manager at Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this review, December 13, 2012

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you ever so much for your kind review and especially I am truly pleased and so is my Team, that you gave us a second chance. It is fantastic to hear, that we were able to make such a jump forward in comparison to your previous visit. Feedback as yours shows that we are clearly on the right path and not only trying to get better, but actually are improving and continue to do so with your encouragement. Truly happy you had a great time with us.

I sure hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future to look after you and your family again with our utmost hospitality.

Thanks again for your warm words.

Kind Regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is recommend for family with children. We can enjoy water park as fun as we can untill it close at 6 pm. Then we joy at the beach pool ...so nice . This time we stay delux suit 2 beds room this room type have all facility (kitchen : microwave, oven, refrigerator , dish , knife etc.) if someone want to cooking this hotel is your answer. They have in room washing machine too. I will come back this hotel for sure.

• Stayed October 2012
Andreas K, General Manager at Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this review, December 4, 2012

Warm Greetings from sunny Phuket

Thank your for your great comments here on Tripadvisor and we do appreciate your kind words. It is always fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us and it is a pleasure to share this feedback with my Team. We are all looking forward to welcome you back in our Resort to have another great family holiday in the future and if you know your travel times, please contact us before anytime to look after you even better.

With Best Wishes

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had a great time at this hotel. We stayed there with our timeshare and we really enjoyed the resort. Yes the planes can be heard, however we did not mind and found it a bit of a novelty. Very quiet location, which is what we were after. We would highly recommend the resort for family’s as the water theme park will keep the kids busy every day. Service was excellent and we will be coming back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Peter

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you for your warm review and it is great to hear that you and your family did enjoy your holiday with us. Even better to hear and to know, that you will visit us again in the future for another joy ride with the family.

Please let us know when your travels will bring you back to Phuket and we certainly will make it another memorable stay.

With very Best Wishes from the sunny Island

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I recently started our honeymoon at the Centara Grand. We booked this via our family timeshare. As a background, we were looking for a relaxing start to our tour of Asia, not in the center and craziness of Phuket. This hotel is situated on the quiet side of Mai Khao beach. I highly recommend staying on this side if you are looking for quieter, pristine beaches. If you are there for a party, this side of the island is not for you.

The staff at the hotel was very friendly, especially at the Italian restaurant on property. There is a tour desk in the lobby area, where they have some of the best tours available. We took an all day tour of main tourist attractions, and it was private with our own tour guide and driver. Much better than any group tour on a large bus.

The rooms are spacious. We had a one bedroom, with separate living room, two televisions, decent size bathroom and kitchenette. The bed was fairly comfortable. I think the room could have been cleaned a bit more (such as the floors), but overall, we were pleased.

The pool is beautiful. It is a large infinity pool, with cabanas, lounge chairs, kids pool and overlooks the Andaman Sea. It was very nice to sit in and stare out into the Sea.

A buffet breakfast is included with the room. I am a picky eater and was not a fan of the food. Much had meat (I only eat fish), so I had limited choices and often ate steamed rice and some fruit for breakfast. There is also nightly themed buffet dinners offered. I do not recommend these. Instead, I recommend ordering from the menu, or going to the upstairs Italian restaurant, which is nicer and a more romantic experience.

The main flaw with this hotel (and one reason I would not return) is the proximity to the airport. Although convenient, the runway is virtually next to the pool/restaurant area. All day, you can see and hear planes arriving and departing, and not just in the distance. You can hear it almost as though you are on board the plane. At night while falling asleep it wasn't really a problem, but it can definitely disrupt the peacefulness of relaxing by the pool.

Overall, this was a moderate hotel (non-luxury as the other hotels on our tour were). For an affordable option, it is ok, but please take heed of my note of the noise and food.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Andreas K, General Manager at Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this review, November 20, 2012

Warm Greetings to California

I thank you for your warm review and it is nice to know you choose us as part of your Honey Moon, please accept my belated congratulations as well. I am very pleased to read all your good and positive feedback and will share this gladly with my Team, naturally as well your comment about our breakfast offer to our Chef. We do offer a full American Breakfast with lots of choices in regards of breads and pastries, plus Asian foods. However let’s see what our Chef comes up with for new none meat choices. I can see that your overall experience was actually a very positive one, however yes, we are close to the Airport and that’s something we are not able to change. There were suggestions about a noise reducing wall once, however I doubt due to restrictions this is possible. Luckily a lot of our guests do actually like to watch the planes and the noise is in general limited as the airport itself has only limited capacity. For the night sleep, yes all our windows are double glazed so there should not be any interruption at all. If we come up with a solution I promise to invite you back one day, to see if it works.

Again thank you ever so much for your kind words and staying with us.

With Best Wishes from Phuket

Andreas Korf

Been to Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket? Share your experiences!