“The Most Memorable Stay of My Entire Life” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #218 of 648 Hotels in Phuket
Bangkok, Thailand
“The Most Memorable Stay of My Entire Life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I've had several visits to Phuket on both business and leisure occasions, and have been to a number of four-star and five-star hotels in Phuket. Nonethless, every hotel I've been to seems pretty much similar to each other without any vivid impression remaining in my mind EXCEPT one five-star hotel at which I've felt every single dime I spent was tremendously worthwhile.

And that hotel is "Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket".

One thing that I like the most is its location which offers a great deal of privacy and authentic tranquility suitable for those who wish to flee from hectic and haphazard life in the city. I visited there on leisure with a couple of close friends and I felt that the atmosphere really enabled me to be relieved from the stress that I accumulated during the frantic weekdays at work. The moment I stepped out of the van and entered the lobby my friends and I were presented with warm Thai wai and genuine smile from all the staff at reception desk. This sense of hospitality really reinforced the feature of being Thai-operated hotel chain and it is quite rare among other brands.

My feeling was heightened when we were greeted by the General Manager (Andreas). This is one of the few hotels I noticed that the GM came to greet the guests on his own. I am particularly fascinated by how spacious and comfortable the room was. It was impeccably clean and tidy. I felt so relaxed being cushioned and chatting with my friends in the living room. It is fully equipped with a complete array of facilities and amenities including a kitchenette.

My friend kept on saying how large and state-of-the-art the jacuzzi was. She was like spending hours in the bathroom!!!

I am pretty sure that breakfast experience is one of the greatest excitement for many travellers including us. I always look forward to how magnificent the breakfast buffet line is every time I stay at a hotel. The breakfast at Sunset Breeze Restaurant at West Sands was more than I anticipated. It didn't look like breakfast that I used to have at some other hotels. Instead, it was more like a full range of scrumptious food which is usally found at a grand dinner. The food is attractively displayed at distinctly-categorised stations. (The Chinese-style barbecued pork with egg noodles is highly recommended. So yummy!!!!!). I am certain that you will not be disappointed and will rejoice in having breakfast at this restaurant every morning during your stay at West Sands. I am particularly impressed with the service rendered by Miss Dao (the Restaurant Manager). Besides her warm smile and magnificent hospitality, she was capable of describing the gorgeous-looking dishes about which I was curious.

What you cannot miss when staying at West Sands is the Water Park called "Splash Jungle". It is one of the primary reasons why we chose to stay here. And it is the key feature of this hotel. It contains a lot of exciting sliders. A lot of fun and a marvelous opportunity for photography in your lovely Facebook. And I could see that the staff paid considerable attention to safety and security in the water park. They were very attentive.

As I said, we were all impressed with the tranquility here. The moment I lied down comfortably on the deckchair by the beach with a cool zephyr from the sea, I felt that I wanted to remain in that position forever and have my mind drifted in my reverie. Really unforgettable. I will definitely return to Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Spa Phuket!!.Next time I am thinking of bringing my parents with me.

Room Tip: If travelling in a group, you are strongly advised to choose Deluxe Family Suite. Good price and nic...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Andreas K, General Manager at Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Khun Ratchadet

Warm Greetings from Phuket and thank you very much for your very nice review and I will gladly share your comments with my Team for further encouragment. It was indeed good to meet you on arrival and I wish I would have the time for all of our guests to do so, this unfortunately is at times not possible as much as I would like to.

Again thank you ever so much for your kind words and we are certainly looking forward to welcome you back soon and yes please, bring your parents.

Andreas Korf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Thai first
Maroochydore, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Me and my partner bought a 7 day deal to stay at the grand west from an australian scoopon website, it was our first trip to thailand and we thought we were getting a good deal. We found out after that most places in thailand are relativley cheap. We arrived at night and they wern't ready for us, but it didn't take them long to sort it out. The staff were lovely though, so were the rooms, they were large and clean. I loved the bed and had no dramas with anything within the room. We had free wi-fi. The hallways were a little more grubby though. In the morning we saw the hotel grounds, there was a large rubbish pile in a neighbouring house at the entrance of the hotel which was off putting. There were many buildings within the complex but it seemed very empty... like there were only a few others staying. The buffet breakfast was good but the other meals were pricey. I enjoyed the quiet beach and pools though. We walked outside the grounds though and found cheap food, definetly worth a try. The area had beautiful surroundings. We were a short drive from the airport and right next to a water theme park which was fun! My only problem was being so far away from the action of Patong and having to travel there and back, which was tedious. 7 days was way too long to stay here. A day or two at the end of our trip would have been perfect.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Andreas K, General Manager at Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Jackie

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you very much for your feedback and I am happy to hear that you did enjoy your stay, had many good experiences and that especially my Team looked well after you. We are currently on the garbage problem with increased pick up schedules for housekeeping and extra trash cans around the resort. The resort for certain still has some way to go for completion as you mentioned and this areas are planned to completed next year. Location wise, you are fully correct, we are not in the middle of the action, so to say and rather on the quite end in Phuket, transport can always be arranged however. Again thank you for your feedback and we are sincerely looking forward to welcome you back soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

On the whole we have had a good experience at the hotel. We only read trip advisor reviews after we booked so were a little doubtful about what to expect! We have been pleasently surprised with what we have found.The issue of a 2 bedroom pool villa being unsuitable for families with young children and no mention of this anywhere has already recently been raised in a previous review. We have spent the last 12 nights with the whole family in one bedroom! ( and gettin 2 extra beds took some doing as we are only allowed 1)
We have had difficulties getting the pool cleaned to a good standard. The pool guys do come to clean when asked, but have only in the last 2 days got it "right"The hotel has an extremely high turn over rate with most people seeming to come for a day or two at the start or end of their holiday. We can only assume that most people aren't bothered about a clean pool for that amount of time and the guys do the minimum required.
Reception/ front desk does however need some attention! We have had to have very little to do with them, fortunatly. However, on the occasions we have they have been less than helpful. Yesterday I went to try and arrange a late checkout for tomorrow (which we are more than willing to pay for) and was told they couldn't tell me untill today(really?) Today, I was told by the gentleman at the desk that it wouldn't be possible due to high occupancy. He managing to do this without asking me which room was involved or who I was!!!! My family and I have 6 hrs between checkout and leaving for the airport! The gentleman was not willing to offer any solution to our problem other than taking a shower at Splash Jungle before we leave!!!! this is NOT 5 star service and quite honestly the gentleman couldn't have made it clearer that this wasn't his problem. Centara Management your front desk staff seriously need some customer service training!!! On a more positive note, house keeping and recreational staff at the main pool have been excellent (always up for a game of football
) The Clarke family,Villa 1000 ( untill 12 pm tomorrow!!!)

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Clark Family

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Sorry for my delay in responding and please this will go for the other reviews as I just returned from Holiday myself. Thank you for your comments and I am happy to hear that you overall had a good experience and that our Housekeeping and Recreation Team have been great, hope they let you in in football. As for the Pools, as we had previous challenges as mentioned as well, we now decided we will outsource this complete area starting this week and this should avoid any further problems. For the Front Office, I am deeply sorry for the lack of interest shown and we do have a new management in place to newly coordinate and retrain, however I do have to admit that we during your stay experienced a very high occupancy and this might have caused the late check out complication. However on my trip to my Holidays I have seen your note and informed my Assistant to get in touch with you before your departure.

Thank you for staying with us and we are sincerely looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We booked this hotel for family tour. We chose this because of the Splash Park inside the hotel. At the time of booking, we worried about the noise from airport but turn out not a big influence, although flight did take off or land at 2 am midnight. Hotel can do nothing on that and we should not blame them. I think everyone book this hotel will aware the noise generated from the flights

But the hotel facilities and maintenance are very poor, which make the hotel far from a 5-star standard. First of all, we were fooled by the existing old map of the hotel (they said that) about the location of "deluxe" and "luxury" villa. When we reached a 3 bed room villas, one of the bedrooms was not yet renovated--bathroom was under fitting-out, bedroom was not ready and the jacuzzi couldn't be used. The staff said that the villa should be a 4 bedrooms villas which 3 of them were available. The one under renovated was not supposed to use. Then, why didn't they mention before and lock the door. We then, requested to change for another villa and after several negotiation, luckily it was done. But it has already spent us for over an hour. When we reached the new villa, the jacuzzi was also not in function and was flooded with bad water and leaves. The staff told us that all the jacuzzi were not in function. We were disappointed on that but what can we do??? We didn't want to waste another an hour to negotiate.

We then moved into the new villa, but, many of the facilities got problem. Drainage were blocked, no water were coming out from the showers. most of the locks were can't either be opened or closed, handle completely fell down when using and electricity circuit were shorted for 2 times.....Many many of these examples make our stay uncomfortable. Response from staff sometimes fast and sometimes slow and sometime no response without leaving a word.

The design and the planning is OK. Site area is larger than the Laguna we stayed before. But the problem of poor maintenance will keep the hotels away from customers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Andreas K, General Manager at Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you for your feedback here on Tripadvisor, which is sincerely appreciated. As mentioned in my previous responses, unfortunately yes we do have some challenges with our current Villa Product, which normally should not cause any major problems, however items like the Jacuzzi, can not be hidden. So I am even more happy to say, that we did start our Villa Renovation program as of last week with 3 Villas at a time over the next few months to fix all the issues you mentioned and to bring them up to a great standard.

Again thank you for your comments and I sure hope to welcome you back one day in our upgraded Villas.

With Best Wishes from Phuket

Aalen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We have stayed there in June on our last 2 nights in Phuket.Was a perfect decision as our trip ended with fun and fulfilled our family holidays.
We booked Luxury Suite 2 Bedroom for the family and the room is huge and fully equipped.We can enjoy cooking and having dinner in our room,so convenience.Our room is on the building closest to the airport,but this is the most beutiful room with the Airport view we 've ever stayed in this whole world,we just love this and nothing called disturtance as other comments said.
Staffs are lovely and friendly,the hotel is full but everyone seems hard work and still smile,,,,this is the good thing and as the Thai living in Germany for long time,I am really happy to see this.
we will recommend and will come back on our next trip Thailand.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Andreas K, General Manager at Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Khun Rungnapa

Warm Greetings from Phuket to Germany

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor and my Team and I are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my Team was able to make you feel welcome. Again thanks for you feedback and we are all looking forward to welcome you again in Phuket.

Thalang District, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Had deluxe suite on 3rd floor, so there were no sights of wildlife inside. It was big (huge considering I was travelling alone). Awesome bed. Free WiFi was ok. Waterpark really nice.
Gym free and great (sees very little use for some reason, which is good for me I guess).
Breakfast decent but a bit stressful (large resort and one breakfast area).

Problems: water pressure - big jaccuzi that I was never able to fill with enough hot water.
Resort located at "wrong side" of the airport. - Might be good if you want time with your family well away from the patong strip. If also means any trip is 20-30 minutes extra.
So you are far away from the party places. And the taxi "service" in Phuket ? Con-men all. I am horrified. But thats not the Hotels fault. - It just means the isolation you feel is even more palpable.

Seems most balconies have limited sunshine. Mine had only about an hour around 10.00 in the morning.
Restaurant : only tried the "italian" - considering there were more staff than guests, service was surprisingly slow and erratic. Maybe they had an ongoing and interesting discussion in the back. Pricing high, but it seems Phuket is getting expensive all over.

All in all ? - If you want 4 quiet days with your spouse or girlfriend its ok. The waterpark makes it a good place for adults + kids of "proper age" - see other reviews.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you very much for your contribution to Tripadvisor and I am happy to hear that our overall service and facility did meet your expectations. Taxi Service, yes unfortunately that is something Phuket has to life with currently and hope this will improve in the future. Certainly will pick up with our Food & Beverage Team about the service in our Italian restaurant and please be assured this will improve soon. And I fully agree with you, that in overall, especially with the attached Water Park, other recreation facilities and location, we are in a unique position to cater for families and couples which are looking for a quite relaxing time.

Again thank you for your feedback and hope to welcome you again soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed four nights in the beginning of July 2012 and are not going back. Which is basically a shame because the water park is great and the hotel is just beside the airport.

The hotel seems to be extremely mismanaged. With a few exceptions the staff is unfriendly and unhelpful. When you enter this hotel you get the feeling that you have left Thailand. It is like nowhere else and much more like a really bad and extortionately overpriced European resort.

There is nothing near the hotel except a tiny bar, the Cinnamon restaurant (which is quite good) and a local micro mart. No on site mini mart. The hotel has used this to raise prices to extreme levels for Thailand. This includes restaurants, mini bar, and the water park. Along with the general unfriendliness this alone makes us not come back. It would be so easy to make this place the perfect first or last stop on every trip to Phuket due to the short distance to the airport.

The planes are no problem at all. HKT is not exactly BKK and not many planes fly over. Basically this is just a nice little feature and we did not hear any planes at night.

Internet is free all over the resort. Wifi with no login drama which is excellent. At best you get download speeds of 6 mbit and uploads of 0.6 mbit. However, generally it is highly unstable and most of the time you struggle to get or keep the connection. Not what you would expect from a hotel claiming to be five stars.

Room was fine and clean. We booked a 160 sqm suite. Room had three flat screen TVs, one DVD player, fridge, freezer, microwave, normal oven and a small jacuzzi.

Examples from our short stay:

Walking up to the restaurant a car was parked (engine on) and seven staff members waiting to load it. We could not get into the restaurant as we had two strollers and the car was in the way. The staff did not offer to move the car but laughed at us as we had to turn around and walk away in pouring rain. Nice.

Golf carts are available to drive you around but they are hard to get mainly because they are often occupied by members of staff! One cart even passed us empty in heavy rain and did not offer us a ride.

All umbrellas available in the rooms are, according to reception staff and our experience, not working. They basically just self fold making you very wet.

We asked for a stroller 36 hours prior to our arrival. This was confirmed by e-mail 24 hours after our arrival. Reception staff did not believe us and we had to forward the email. We were told that no guests had ever been offered a stroller. We continued complaining and five minutes later we got a stroller. Makes no sense.

Food in the restaurant is good but very expensive. Several times (every time actually) they got our very simple orders wrong (language was no problem). As one example we ordered room service and a curry was delivered without rice despite ordering two. We had to wait 15 mins to have the rice delivered and one of us basically ate cold food by himself. We were offered no discount, no new hot curry or otherwise. Not acceptable when you charge more than anyone else in Phuket for the food. At the restaurant they delivered starters along with the main dish despite an explicit request to the contrary. We also ordered two drinks, twice, but they never showed up. One time our bill was 700 bath too high.

The Water Park Deli is much the same thing. Outright rude staff. One walked away in the middle of us ordering the food and another was clearly annoyed that we ordered coffee to go with the ice cream. It did't actually go with it though as it took 20 minutes to make a coffee and a cappuchino.

In response to other comments gym is open till 22 hours and only a couple of random rooms have a washing machine. No self washing service is available and no laundry service nearby. Laundry service is available at the hotel at approx 200 bath per piece of clothes. Yes indeed.

Gym staff, cleaning staff and kids club staff as well as water park life guards were all competent and friendly. Especially the life guards are friendly and constantly smiling and laughing. Makes the atmosphere at the park really great.

A massage is 2.200 bath plus 17 %. Not possible to get massage outside the hotel in walkning distance. Gym is free and very good.

Next time we will probably come back for a one day visit to the water park and stay well clear of the hotel and the restaurant. Have to mention though that one of the kids slides were closed and that the water in general was very cold - also the water in the "hot pool" that was supposed to be 35 degrees. When asking about these things the staff just shrugged their shoulders.

We did not try out the 600 bath/person breakfast at the hotel.

Generally you have the feeling that nothing works as it should at this place.

If you do decide to go, go at the beginning of your holiday. Don't spend your last days in Thailand at this very much non Thai place.

Baby info: Nothing available on site or near site. Diapers, baby food, strollers etc available in Phuket Town (Central Festival) and Patong (Jungceylon) and possibly elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012
Andreas K, General Manager at Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Jonathan

Greetings from Phuket

Thank you for your detailed feedback and actually you did mention several positive points throughout your stay which I am happy to hear about. Naturally I am sorry to hear about the challenges you faced, even if the feeling exist that the main reason for the more constructive comments are our location. Topics like pricing, we do a regular competition check and please be assured that they are all in line with the surrounding resort, but of course we can not compare ourselves with the local restaurants outside the building, or the mini mart which is only a 10 minute walk away from the Lobby.

As your review is pretty detailed, I mainly would like to assure you that we do take your comments to heart and work on them one by one for improvement. I sure hope you will stop by the Water Park again one day and even better, visit the hotel again for another chance to show you our services as they should be.

With Kind Regards

Andreas Korf

Been to Centara Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket? Share your experiences!