“Decent hotel but not a real 'resort'” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra Pura Resort & Spa

You added Mantra Pura Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Mantra Pura Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   3/300, Moo 6, North Pattaya Naklua, Banglamung | Chonburi, Pattaya 20150, Thailand   |
Ranked #264 of 377 Hotels in Pattaya
London, UK
“Decent hotel but not a real 'resort'”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I stayed for 2 nigths in this 'resort' hotel. First impression was good and the check-in process was staright forward. The lobby area was housed in an open-planned traditionally styled building. The only problem was that it was not airconditioned.

My room was in one of the buildings around the pool, on the second floor. The usual amenities were present in the room. There was a minibar with the usual drinks with 2 complimentary bottles of drinking water per day. The bathroom was spcious and clean with a big walk in shower (no bath tub) and came with plenty of toiletteries.

There were plenty of storage spaces and wardrobes, with bathdrobes and non disposable slippers which I did not use. The TV was big but I could not find any English language channels at all and I gave up after a few minutes. There was also a DVD player. I had a balcony with view of the pool but I did not use it as there was no chair. There was, however, a drying rack for your wet towels and swim suit I pressumed. The bed itself was big and comfortable with nice pillows. I had very good night sleeps.

The was a medium size pool with lots of pretty plants around. However, there were also some slightly tacky decorative porcelain items around e.g. a penguin in the middle of the pool, and ducks in the little fountain. The hotel also had free wifi which was of decent speed and quality. There was a 'spa' area with sauna and gym, which I did not use.

Buffet breakfast was in a separate building and was served from 7 to 11am. There was a decent selection of western and oriental / Thai items. They had the usual breakfast cereals, various Thai interpretaion of western breads / rolls, western breakfasts items (sausages, fried potatoes and bacon), an 'egg counter' with freshly made omelette and fried eggs, lots of cut fresh fruits, a selection of juices and many Thai items (rice, noodles, curry etc). Althought the selection was not huge, it was adequate and tasty. The waiting staff was very helpful and friendly and always topped up my coffee.

The location of the hotel is probably not ideal for a typical tourist that comes to Pattaya for the beach and bars. It is about 20 minutes away on foot from the beginning of beach road (or a THB 10 Tuk Tuk ride). From there, it is another 30 minutes or so to the 'walking street'.

However, it served my purpose (on business) pretty well as there were many local Thai eateries around (within minutes of walking distance), a couple of convenience stores (handy for drinking water etc) and a few massage parlours which do not hassle you when you walk pass.

There was an interesting incidence during my stay there. I woke up the second morning to find a leak from the ceiling, probably from the air conditioning unit. I contacted the front desk, who immediately sent a supervisor to attend. She was very sweet and apologetic about it. I left my room for breakfast and upon my return, she informed me that they could not fix the problem staright away and had offered me a new room next door. I had no problem with that. She then started to help with my packing, which I was very surprised. I politely declined her help and did it myself. The new room was pretty much just a mirror image to the original one, minus the leak !

In summary, this is not what I call a 'resort' hotel but served my purpose well. It was clean and I had very good sleep. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ko Samui, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stayed a couple of nights in this hotel last week and what a joke this place was. Were not looking for a royal treatment but we stayed in many hotels in Thailand but the first impression really make sence when the receptionist didn't welcome us or did'nt bother asking how's our journey. No one gave a sweet smile so I assumed they have a busy day but after a couple of days it seemed the same athmosphere, those staff shouldn'nt belong to hospitality industry as they are all useless. I agree with one made a comment here that the only the housekeeping doing a fantastic job. It's just too late when I read the recent review but I have read the review before and seems getting a good feedback and did'nt expect that we get fooled by this hotel.
We didn't use the swimming pool because its filthy and they allowed some guest drinking, smoking and playing loud sound from the pool bar. Did not get proper sleep at all! We book this hotel away from the beach road but i could swear it's far worst than staying somewhere at walking street area.
We ordered food in our room for its price its rubbish, better to go outside and grab some street meal that they cook in front of you.
Overall those receptionist and bell boys have the same blunt and naive face. They don't care about their guest.

Room Tip: Try to look for other hotel somewhere near beach road. The complimentary tuk-tuk they should take yo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

So let’s get this straight, this is a four star hotel with glamorous pictures of swimming pool, balconies, quiet, hygienic, tranquil place for families with good food like the website’s amazing video right?

WRONG!!!

The hotel’s promotional video is world-class and very professionally-made, inviting guests to relax at their boutique hotel. It is absolutely misleading and an wanton abuse of reality, designed to fool tourists into parting with their cash.

When we stayed, the hotel had been taken over by an unruly mob of drunken tattooed American US Navy sailors swilling beer and smoking in the pool, yelling, swearing and screaming, with the hotel pool bar pumping out techno music. Oh I forgot to mention this was from Saturday when we arrived to the Sunday night. When we complained, (first time) the completely ineffective guest relations officer said it was not normally like this and this group would be checking out the next day; in other words, to put up with it. I told her they should not be tolerating it and should have restored some standards for the rest of the guests but she didn’t seem to have that power to do anything so the rave went on. Apparently you can “take over” the swim-up bar and crank up your own rave. When it had not stopped, I just about lost my cool with the mute woman on reception two hours later at 3pm and angrily handed her a letter for the manager, asking for a refund for the last 24 hours saying it was unacceptable and that the management were negligent in how they were handling this and that it was not what they had portrayed on the website and stormed out of the hotel leaving the thumping techno music behind me.

So, in staying there four days did I have an apology? No way did they apologise. I never met the manager I wrote to. Of sorts a bowl of fruit arrived when we had gone to get some quiet, but the US navy guys were still partying the next day and left dead on 12 noon checkout having used the pool all morning.

Pros: the rooms are nicely decorated and at least some thought has been given to the design of the rooms. They say flat screen TV but ours was CRT. Other pros might be the breakfast as ok if impersonal and they wash up in front of you. It is in a converted car showroom nearby so everyone can see you but that is about it. On our last day it had converted to a la carte because the number of guests had gone down so much, so no buffet.

Cons: Leftover trays: there were empty room service trays outside rooms all day on Sunday 8th January with half eaten food on them. This was not in sealed corridors but in outside areas prone to insects. I think most of the staff had disappeared with all the pool noise.

Booze bottles: There were also empty Gin and Vodka bottles at the bottom of our stairwell which by 3pm had not been cleared away. I was too tired to hear the room parties the previous night but I think people had been drinking on the stairwells and typically nobody from the hotel had the foresight to complain or maintain standards.

Dead Cockroach: The dead cockroach on the way to breakfast I was not going to mention but because of their lack of attentiveness around the hotel, and arrogant attitude, I will mention it because it proves they are not really in control of their hotel. This was admittedly in the outside bit of the hotel, but a well-managed hotel would have this swept up by 630am. What a nice treat to find for guests taking that route to breakfast!

Smoking in the pool: smoking in the pool means ash in the pool, which is not acceptable. Do they not have standards about that? We saw the loud Americans smoking in the pool at noon on Sunday 8th January and no hotel staff having a word at all. To me that is unacceptable and a breach of health/hygiene standards. Which other hotels would allow smoking in their hotel pools? This to me typified the lack of basic management at this hotel. Indeed the noise was so appalling the manager was probably at his own executive pool on the edge of Pattaya. Having paid for pool side access we didn’t use the pool after we saw that happening. Can the pool filters take out ash in 24 hours? We shouldn’t have to be thinking about those questions.

Cocktails: they don’t know how to make cocktails. They are from a bottle with no trimmings or fruit.

Safety: each morning there were beer bottle tops strewn around the edge of the pool not swept up and cigarette butts everywhere. A well-managed hotel would have this all swept up by 630am.

Location: There is no guidance at all about trying to get transport into the city centre and although there is a complimentary tuk tuk it is underused and there is frequently nobody to drive it. After we waited 20 minutes for them to find a driver, we were then given a tour of the petrol station because it was on empty. We feel if this hotel wants to improve on its rating, it needs to help guests by advising them on transport options or providing a tuk tuk service. A well-managed hotel would have the tuk tuk full of fuel by 7am.

Conclusion: Our stay was extremely disappointing and was one of the worst hotels we have stayed in. The mute arrogance of the staff who suddenly could not speak English and lack of basic management of the hotel they are trying to run, only reinforces my belief that this hotel is a cash cow for the owner and they have no regard for guest’s comfort, hygiene or well-being. I am still angry about their indifference and am going to complain to LK Pattaya about this stay. I wrote a formal letter of complaint on the Sunday 8th January and got no response. I got no discount just three bananas, three apples and some oranges. There are hardly any staff here.

Unbelievable. You have been warned.

Room Tip: To find a better room, visit tripadvisor.com
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Recently stayed at Mantra Pura in November in a 2 bedroom suite. The rooms are huge and well looked after, the pool is nice but the pool bar never has anyone working there. It takes them about 45 minutes after you ask to get someone down there then another 40 minutes to get your drink made. Hardly any of the staff can speak English and the ones that do are useless anyway.
I was told my washing & ironing would be ready before I left the hotel the following day at 10am. Our taxi picked us up at 11am and it still wasn't ready and was asked to wait another 30 mins for them to bring it down, I didn't have time to wait as we would have missed our flight in BKK so I had to leave half of my clothes (Australian purchased clothes - not cheap thai rubbish) with them and they didn't really seem to care.
If i owned this hotel, the first thing i'd do is fire all the staff except for the cleaner who surprisingly did a fantastic job.
The hotel is quite far from all the action but we hired scooters at 5.00 AUD a day which made it easy to get around but at night it was hard to get a baht bus or taxi and it took a while to get onto walking street because of the traffic.
I'd definately stay on beach road next time i'm in Pattaya.
I've been to Thailand over 10 times and this was by far the worst service I have experienced, actually not only in Thailand but anywhere else I have travelled to.
If the owner doesn't make some changes in regards to his staff, this hotel well go broke. The staff are a disgrace!
Every other hotel i've stayed in Thailand has had wonderful staff, always willing to help and constantly smiling. Mantra Pura is the complete opposite, full of useless, lazy and pathetic staff.
Still love Thailand, can't wait to go back - just never again to this hotel!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
New Bern,NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Our stay is on the very first date of November'11 and our room is a standard type one.

Pros :
- Good location, found that it's not in the busiest area of the town so good for relax, especially one who drives car
- Breakfast is great. Food quality & selection is above average.
- Pool area is nice, good for those who wanna swim to relax, or juz to take a photograph, either is good
- The hotel has seen as modern or juz refurbished. It's an up to date hotel.

Cons :

- As a 3 1/2 to 4 star rating hotel; I should expect more. But sadly, this hotel doesn't provide the basic amenities like other hotel in this level should.
.. First of , there is no hair dryer. We need to call to operator to ask for a "borrow" hair dryer. The reception explained that as my room is a standard room so there's no hair dryer !
.. Second, there's no bathtub for this 3 1/2 to 4 stars rated hotel, again it's a standard room.
The night before i get to this hotel was a hotel rated 2 stars but there's a bathtub!
.. The room is quite small, cannot unfold the big size of suitcase if you brought.
-Our room is on the 4th building which is right on the street. So no matter at 2 pm or 2 am, the road noise is there.
- Upon arrival to the room, we still found the used body shower cream in the restroom not yet trashed by room service.
- Parking lot is limited. Some of guests need to park in the "soi (small street)" and security coverage is questionable.
- Reception people could use a bit more friendly people. They're quite a bit cold during our stay. Maybe they're tired of full booking period during flooding situation in Thailand.

All in all, at the rate of $60-$80 of a standard room we spent, we won't go back.
The hotel maybe juz cool for a short stay, but again, with this money there's a lot hotel that could do better than this one.

Room Tip: Avoid the room on 4th building. It's noisy due to located on the road.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

bar was great close 2 all shopping freindly staff and clean

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Bremen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I stayed here from 10.th August-14 th August. My room has street view (i am accustomed to becuase it was my 2.nd Trip to Thailand). Breakfast good, atmosphere familiar. The last night i stayed there the elevator makes noises so i can`t sleep. But maybe affected only some roooms...the other with viewing the pool i think not affected.
Good visitor policy (no additional fee for one guest). Good for longer stayings!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Mantra Pura Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!