“Not a nice beach” 1 of 5 stars

Las Vegas, Nevada
38 attraction reviews
“Not a nice beach”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The beach sucks. It's small, dirty and dingy. The city needs to do a better job with maintenance.

Pattaya is a great place for nightlife, the food, for people-watching, etc. But if you come primarily for the beach, you'll regret it.

• Arabic first
Alexandria, Egypt
111 attraction reviews
“avoid this awful beach”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I went to this beach just to get the speed boat to go to the coral island , pattaya city itself is nice and touristic but the beach is unfortunately awful and shameful, it's really over-crowded and noisy and the sea water at the beach is clearly unclean, even the sandy beach is also unclean and the beach chairs look old and uncomfortable and stuck to each other in this over-crowd. Avoid this beach and go ahead to the islands.

Gansbaai, South Africa
32 attraction reviews
“Pattaya or Phukette? Which one must I go to..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Pattaya or Phukette, I did know that Pattaya are more city and crowed but if you can afford it and usually it is the case, the flight/hotel packages are more advertise than Pattaya. Prefer Phukette, well Pantong Beach, that is my Phukette. Staying there and enjoying the “small” town where great. Hire a motorbike and along the way if you see a 210Lt drum standing in the middle of nowhere it is you filling station. Or the small wooden platform with whisky bottles on. I did think it where whiskey till I observe that these motorbike riders got a craze for whiskey, they stop pay en zoom of, or empty the bottle on the spot. Well it where fuel for the bike’s stupid me...
So if you can afford it go to Phukette there are numerous island easy reachable by speedboat and other transport. Nightlife en show are in abundance, water sport ect.
Pattaya are a good option if you only have a stop in Bangkok and realise you sick of this town. Busses run direct from you front door by Bell Service Company, door to door. If you want to be pick-up at your hotel door. Or the nearest bus station. From the airport to Pattaya there are options and Cheap Charley decides to take the cheapest. 124B from the airport to Pattaya. A few stops that are not announce and leave you wondering where you must get off. Arrival in Pattaya there are 3 stops. Pattaya South, Central Pattaya where I stayed and move later to a better venue and the last stop are are on the border of Pattaya North and Jomtien. This bus service only runs till 21h00 there after taxi. The flipping cheap flights got a draw back and usually arrive LATE after 20h00 at airports where I go. After the flight landed at 1955 I ran to gate 8 lower level to buy a ticket. They do not allowed anybody to standing on the 2 hour journey so if the bus is full, its full. On my return I taken the Bell Service because I had a flight to catch and opt the one that pick up from where you stay, if it is on there books. In the future you can register and buy tickets on line. My pick up where 16h00 and at 16h10 I phone, then the small bus pick you up and drop you at the big terminal where you transfer to the bigger on for 200B pick up at you hotel or place. It is peace of mind to use this service because a taxi can run at 1500B to the airport. High-speed train is just mention in the newspapers for future what ever from Bangkok to Pattaya, hopefully via the airport..
Pattaya got everything it is just very convenient if you in Bangkok and wanna have a nice time. The only thing he got not have are the tranquil beaches and streets. I even went to movie’s, like the concept of being X-rayed and you only are allowed to get seated 5 minutes before the film start.. Just remember when the locals stand up do the same, national anthem and documentary of the King will roll so for 3 minutes before the big movie start. The other thing I like is that they indicate on screen where you emergency exit are... very clever....
Pattaya and Jomtien are just next to each other but Jomtien are a little bit more expensive. Mybe because a lot of “farangs” stay in the high rise condo’s. (that is the term for foreigner) I rather go to Pattaya for my massages and save 50B. I good way to save money if you close to the Big C shopping centres. Hour before they close they mark down or the fresh take-way food, it is called Yellow label and everything that where made that morning goes. From salads, chicken, fruit and sushi. From 50% discount to 70% you pay less. But I where not the only one milling around close by to the counters waiting for the lady to come out for a reel of yellow stickers. Well as good friends do they take the stuff they like behind the counter for themselves or for the friend that sells bra’s at the lady counter and keep it there. After that it is free for all..... you not allowed to buy booze from 11h00 to 4hoo around I think. This where implemented that the ordinary local cannot buy booze in the lunch time. Or to try to keep them sober.
Motorbike taxi you just hop on and go. Just be careful do not take the driver with the ponytails because it will be in you mouth and eyes. Lucky I got a short lady that I can peek over her helmet where we going at a hectic speed down the road. I think I did have broken a speeding record by a woman motorbike taxi driver. She did not take the back road where you go slow, oh no, she taken the high way. Past every bus and car...... and I have to sit with the smell of their local brew coming from the front. She where not tipsy but just nicely on the go, braking, swerving and giving the poor bike juice that I thought a piston will fly past. Next time I did ask where you drinking or not? I have not got time to land in a hospital. I did visit the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, it looks neat and smart. I have to meet friends there that have broken his knee cap. Not from a motorbike fall but from slipping on a bathroom tile.....take care. Evenings Pattaya lit up on the beach front and it is just one night bar from one side to another take a trip up to the Hollywood sign at night... It only spelled Pattaya City but you got an nice few and little benches you can smooched on if you got your partner. Just always put mosquito stuff on. I did look like a rice strainer later on. I went to go and buy myself long pants to where in the evenings in a nice cotton material very light. I went for a massage, please do not take me wrong, I want to to pull down my pants and remove my shirt, well at the Hilton I do it. I where very embarrassed when the lady shouted no, no... Hie, hie I where so embarrassed lucky the full massage are in a dimly lit room with soft music and curtains and nobody have seen me turning red...
The beach area’s operate like all other beaches, old lady massage you on the beach, laying on the stretch reclining chairs. At least they got thick roofs made of palm leave the sun will not get me and turn me into a tomato. Wi-Fi is free, so long you pay and drink out of the bar, nice time to relax. Forget about going to eat sushi you do pay for it. Not like at home where you pay 10$ and eat as much you like. There are no sushi on the belt, only raw food and you heat up your pot, cook and eat it. The sushi are in the corner my dear, 7up,Pepsi and desert are unlimited. The only limit is you pay one price and you got a time limit of 60min to do it in. If you go over you start paying per minute! I did enjoy it, I went to Festival Mall in Pattaya there are numerous restaurants just look out for the special they advertise. You not allowed to take pic’s in the shopping mall, lucky I had a local with me that warm me about that. Otherwise I have eaten most of the time out of Big C and around where you can get free wi-fi, I just like to keep in touch. Accommodation you can get from 2500B per month in cheap hotels in Jomtien, just a bed, fridge, wardrobe. There are no hot water. It is so hot the water are automatically heated by the sun, so I shower just after 12h00... and the tile’s are like a ice-skating ring....
At shopping centres you can leave you helmet on your bike, heaven’s sake it is nice and nobody take it. The only take your bike in a parking garaged of the Festival Mall. Your bike will not be on the same spot, there are so many they shifted them around to take out there bike right at the back and your one that where in the front will be back. I tied a yellow ribbon on my handle’s easy to spot... There are floating markets, botanical gardens and elephant rides all this you also can do, identical as Phukette. A visit to the highest tower, Pattaya Park that got swimming pools and slides, you can go up the tower and decide how to get down. You will understand when you saw it. Decided before you go up I want to get down by, lift, round cage, sliding down the cable or standing a cradle for two, indicate this when you buy a ticket. You do get a free glass of orange juice in a nice glass with Pattya Park on it. Where I suppose to leave it behind? I though it is a keep? To late now. I stayed for a week in Pattaya then I went back to Bangkok airport that take’s met 3 hours sins pick up. Checked in fly another 6 hours to Doha, transfer 1 hour to Delhi and another 4 hour to get there............from one hot oven to the next. It is so hard to travel.......... (-: Enjoy your trip.

Visited August 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
342 attraction reviews
“Don't come here for the beach”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The beach is there as a backdrop to Pattaya scene. It may be ok for people, who stay here in town. But it is not a good example of what you can get in Thailand. If you want a place to rest for a while and be serviced, this is all right. But if you just go to Jomtien, south of Pattaya, you'll get a much better beach to enjoy.

Yzerfontein, South Africa
8 attraction reviews
“Dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

During our 3rd trip to Pattaya in September 2012, we were looking forward for a few days at the beach. We hired our chairs for the day and all ready for a swim in the warm water. Unfortunately the water was infested with jelly fish about 6-8 inches long. I have not read about this in previous forums. I only felt a sting and was then alerted by the numerous jelly fish around. Funny enough, nobody else swam - the children only played in the sand. The people who were dropped off the speedboats were jumping and screaming, and only when I noticed the jelly fish, did I establish the reason for their panic. We spent the day under the umbrella, and everybody who approached the water turned around. When I spoke to the locals, they told us about the jelly fish. So be aware, this can be an irritation.

Visited September 2012