“A Very Disappointing Experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Cliff Grand Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Royal Cliff Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Royal Cliff Grand Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   353 Phra Tamnuk Road | (part of the Royal Cliff Hotels Group), Pattaya 20150, Thailand   |
Offers & Announcements
Royal Grand Getaway
Ranked #20 of 377 Hotels in Pattaya
Hong Kong
“A Very Disappointing Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

It is the first time that I have not checked in a hotel due to the poor attitude and service of the front desk and I really hope that such bad experience in travel will not happen in my life again.

I booked this hotel in Dec 2012 through a travel agency (Priceline) in Hong Kong for checking in on 10 Feb 2013. I paid in full to the travel agency upon my booking. I provided the confirmation email issued by the travel agent to the hotel front desk when I arrived at around 4pm on 10 Feb 2013. The officer of the front desk requested us to take a seat and have a drink to wait for the room arrangement. After around 30 minutes, I was told that the travel agency had not settled the payment of my booking and I was requested to make long distance call to Hong Kong to check what has happened. I made the call and no one answered as 10 Feb 2013 is the first date of Lunar New Year and no office would be opened. Normally the office would only open after the Lunar New year holiday on 14 Feb 2013. Another officer, I guess at Manager grade, told us that we need to pay in full for check-in and they will refund me after they get the money from the travel agent. The price for such `pay in full' doubled the price of my booking through travel agent. This `Manager' then showed me an email that they sent on 9 Feb 2013 at 2035 to the travel agent to request them to settle the payment. I told him that the office should have been closed for such a late request at night. I told them that they should let me check-in as I have paid already with confirmation. They should settle the payment problem with the travel agency later on. This `Manger' refused to do so as he concerned that the hotel may not get the money back from the travel agency. I requested to see their more senior staff as I think this `Manager' may not be senior enough to make decision. However, this `Manager' said their top management are not available and will only return by 6pm. He then made a phone call and subsequently told us that they can make special arrangement for us to pay them at the price of our booking through the travel agent, no need to be `pay in full'. So generous they are! I and my wife were really so unhappy and disappointed with this hotel and decided to leave. I booked another hotel in Bangkok through my cell phone as we decided to leave Pattaya one day earlier. I requested the `Manager' to provide me a written evidence that I have not checked in such that I can claim my money back from the travel agency in Hong Kong. At this point, this `Manager' managed to find a top management guy to talk to us. I showed him our confirmation of payment to him again and he said he can allow us to check in without any additional payment. I told him that I would not check in as I was so disappointed and I have already booked another hotel. This top management guy then wrote down on a paper to confirm that we have not checked in even he offered we can stay without payment from the travel agent. He mentioned nothing about the previous request to pay for check-in by his staff. I toke this written paper and left.

I strongly feel that this hotel has not placed the customers in the top or even a high priority, particularly it is one of the best hotel group and obtained best hotel award for 2012 and 2013 by tripadvisor. Originally we decided to stay in the hotel to enjoy their food and facilities but it turned out that I was so unhappy and disappointed with the ways of them to handle this case. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Der Valued Guest

Thank you for your comments about Royal Cliff Hotels Group. We take every feedback seriously and always admit to any mistakes made by us.

In this instance we feel it is unfair that you only blame the hotel for what happened. The travel agent has contacted us to apologise for their mistake. If we have received the payment from the travel agent then our team would happily check you in. Please understand that they had to abide by the hotel policy and following the rules. At Royal Cliff we all try our best to accommodate every request and make sure our customers receive the best treatments. Please contact your travel agent and I am sure they can explain that this was not our fault.

After our explanation I hope you will consider staying with us. We have a lot to offer and can assure you that you will enjoy staying here.

Please contact me directly if you need further explanation. I can be reached on via the following email address: wannarat@royalcliff.com

With best regards,

Christoph Voegeli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We held meetings here as the convention centre on the property will be our conference centre and this is one of 4 hotels in the group that will be part of our conference arrangements. We were upgraded to suites, and given tours of other rooms. The facilities are beautiful. Luxurious rooms, gorgeous views, great pools. The interlinking of the hotels widens the choice of eating and drinking facilities. The spa provides very good quality treatments, albeit pricey. The criticisms? Not all staff have good English and confusion can arise - including the bell desk insisting that i still had to pay my bill, despite my handing over a hard indicating i had checked out. The food is tourist quality - fine if you are not familiar with Thailand, but disappointing if you are, and the standard of western food is very average. The maintenance in in the rooms aren't as one would expect - with shower handle that falls off and light bulbs that need replacement. A mixed blessing is the hotel's location in relation to Pattaya - it is secluded, so transport is needed to get into the hustle and bustle of shops and other tourist traps. Nonetheless, we are looking forward to a return stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Der Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Royal Cliff Hotels Group and we are delighted to hear that you will return again.

Feedback is of utmost importance to us because it assist us in keeping up our high standards and therefore we really appreciate your comments.

We were deeply saddened to hear that some of our staff were not up to your expectations. We have invested heavily this year in training and can assure you that on your next visit to us you will get to experience the "true Royal Cliff hospitality".

In reference to your comment on the food I would appreciate if you could send us more details (e.g. outlet, time, food….etc) so that I can ask our culinary team to look into and to better understand what we have missed.

We also appreciate your input about the room maintenance and because of your comments our Engineering team was deployed to rectify the light and shower fixtures.

Your recent experience is in fact not reflective of the actual level of service we provide and we look forward to welcome you back for the upcoming Conference in August.

With best regards

Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was my first visit but certainly not the last. The hotel is first class in every respect. The staff is courteous and very friendly. Everything was very clean and like new. Bathroom was outstanding with huge tub and separate shower. View of the pool and the ocean from the large balcony. Big double chair to enjoy the view. Breakfast overlooking the ocean was great. My stay was absolutely enjoyable. A little bit out of town but easy to take the trip in and very relaxing to return to the hotel. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for writing such a great review.

We very much appreciate your lovely comments and it will be my pleasure to pass them on to our associates.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

We are excited to share with you that we will be adding more facilities and renovating our Grand rooms so that on your next visit you will have something new to experience.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Well it's like being in the palace. Not like s hotel. It's near prat am hill so great views no notice has nothing close
Food 5 star
Staff treat you really well
The only thing you have to do whilst your stat
Ting here is e
Shower your self and pick up your cutlery to eat
All in all I can't fault it one if the best
Highly recommended

• Stayed July 2012
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Royal Cliff and for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us to other travelers. We are delighted that your enjoyed our facilities, restaurants and services.

We are also excited to inform you that this year we will upgrade our facilities so on your next visit there will be something new for you to experience.

We look forward to your return.

leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We returned to the hotel to be welcomed by various members of staff.This greeting was not made
because they had to,but because they wanted to.this was a genuine very warm welcome.This greeting will be recognised by returning guests. It is hard to describe the pleasure that this gives you and it sets up the start of your holiday at a hotel that gives you a 5star time.This not only covers the staff who we have found go the extra mile to ensure your enjoyment but includes all aspects of the hotel from the gym to the fantastic restuarants,to the great pools.We would recommend this hotel to all people wether business,family couples etc.
Once you have stayed here it is very very hard to think of going elsewhere,and as I do not like thinking hard we will continue to come here safe in the knowledge that we will be guaranteed a fantastic holiday

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for writing another outstanding review. We truly appreciate your loyalty. It is our promise that on every visit you make we will do our best to make sure you have a wonderful time here. We enjoyed taking care of you.

Thank you also for your compliments on our facilities. Maintaining the hotel to a very high standard remains our top priority.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Returning again to Royal Cliff its so nice to see so many staff who remember us from previous visits.Their curtisy and friendlines ranks to us the best we have ever expirienced.
We love the Panorarma Resturant for breakfast it is a buzz such a choice and well run by the
resturant manager.
Our favorite is Brezzio the resturant right on the beach shore fabulous for a relaxing drink or meal looking across the bay to Kolarn Island.
The nicest touch was a a trolley delivered to our room on my wifes birthday containing a beautiful display of flowers and a biurthday cake.
We enjoyed the club lounge its nice and peaceful to catch up on the news or send a few E mails. We look forward to returning again.

Room Tip: 9th floor is good near club lounge
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for writing another wonderful review about Royal Cliff Grand.
We were very happy to get another opportunity to take care of you. I am delighted to learn you like our new beach restaurant Breezeo. I hope you tried to create your own cocktail.

Again we hope you had a great birthday and all the best wishes for your special occasion.
It was a pleasure having you staying with us again.

We look forward to your return.

Woodbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Pattaya would not be our destination of choice, however, the Royal Cliff Grand transports you into a different world far away from some of the less savoury aspects of the place. There are four hotels here, the Beach, the Beach Terrace, the Grand and the Royal Wing. The first two are more family choices, The Grand slightly more sophisticated and formal and the Royal Wing far more expensive.
We have stayed twice at The Grand and it really is the most welcoming, lovely hotel - nothing is too much trouble for the fabulous staff, and every employee you encounter has a smile and a greeting. Special thanks to the lady at guest services who helped my husband translate some of a speech into Thai, then coached him with the pronunciation! We were upgraded to a fabulous room, with enormous bath and separate wet room, lovely balcony with 2 sun loungers and outdoor shower. The pool was never crowded, there are separate ones for each hotel, and again the helpfulness of the staff was exemplary.
All the food in the restaurants was great but we particulary liked the Chinese restaurant, the Chrysanthemum, the food was fabulous and again the staff brilliant - in fact it was so good we ate there twice.
Cars were arranged very quickly and efficiently with courteous, good drivers.
The spa was fabulous and the hairdressing salon did a blow dry much quicker and better than many a London salon.
Great hotel......shame about the place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review about Royal Cliff Hotels Group – The State of Exclusivity and Fascination.

It will be a great pleasure to share your comments to the entire team and I am sure this will be a great motivation to them. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed eating at Chrysanthemum.

I am excited to share with you that we will be adding more facilities and renovating our Grand rooms so that on your next visit you will have something new to experience. The rooms will be more modern and spacious than before.

It was a real pleasure having you as our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay with Royal Cliff Hotels Group.

Christoph Voegeli

Been to Royal Cliff Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!