“Terrible! Cold out of control and wait 50 minutes to eat anything!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Flare

Improve this listing
Ranked #120 of 646 Restaurants in Pattaya
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Sample delicious cuisine in Flare, where a magnificent wall of exquisite wines provides a distinguished setting. Combining traditional tastes of rural Thai kitchens with fine ingredients from around the world, the restaurant offers a unique dining experience.
Capri, Campania, Italy
“Terrible! Cold out of control and wait 50 minutes to eat anything!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was tonight in Flare, it will be a nightmare experiences!
The cold air conditioning was out of control, we wait 50 minutes for a simple snow fish.
The waiters move constantly apologizing but without bringing anything to the table!
Pay just for interior design but without eating anything is not 'possible!
Absolute disappointment! Dont try it!!!
But where are the quality controls' of Hilton Hotels?
Trash....

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

• Thai first
Thailand
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My initial reaction on entrance was dark and cold, freezing cold. I like air con but when you are shivering throughout your meal? This also made the food cold with 5 minutes of it been on the table.
One plus point is the fabulous personalized service, unfortunately that is the only one I've got.
More bread and dips are needed variety of bread would be nice also. We opted for the set menu, the snowfish and crab appetizer was pretty bland and a little chewy. The lobster bisque was delicious (not the best I've had) but it was served in a cold bowl from jug at the table which instantly chilled the soup. The prawn Caesar salad was the tastiest dish but change the serving bowls! Using a knife and fork in a deep Chinese noodle soup bowl is very tedious and undignified. Main course was strip loin, slightly overcooked and very salty. Desert was tiramisu, which was dry and seemed like it had been defrosted.
Overall for the money you are spending it is massively overrated. There is better quality food available in Pattaya in a 5* environment at lower prices.
Unfortunately we won't be back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pattaya, Thailand
“Not Good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

"Fine Dining" In price only.
The food was very bland and really not good
The staff tried but were really lacking in their knowledge of both the food and wine the whole service was rushed we were in and out within under an hour.
Fussy Diner has said most things to the point and I can agree to all.
The lighting is ridiculous invest in a minors helmet before you go to read the menu.
You can not say the decor is good, its black and with the lighting pitch black, music was not background and at times far too loud big band style.
Someone needs too note the comments as the answer to most of their problems have been resolved right here in these reviews.
I would suggest that the reason also that the food is not great is no customers so freshness maybe a problem , chicken and egg scenario.
Shame not a good experience at all and at 10,000B for 3 person with one bottle of wine Gavi @ 3900B, 3 very bland starters (one a salad), main a dry salmon steak, a tough strip loin, another steak can not remember which you would for the money expect better.
Good Bread though which was probably the only plus point.
Give it a miss would be my advice.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne
“No one is listening”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Flare is pitched as a 'Fine Dining' restaurant and is located on floor 16 of the Hilton in Pattaya on Beach Road inside the Central Festival Shopping Mall.

Lets get to the first point which other reviewers have mentioned and that is, the dining room is ridiculously dark. It's probably darker even than Mantra in Pattaya, luckily however there are overhead led lights that do illuminate some of the table. Even then I had to use a torch to read the menu. At times I had to squint just to recognize the person standing in front of me, especially until your eyes adjust.

The staff are all very pleasant and professional and smile at the right times and know how to treat guests well. At least they do when things are going well! The same can not be said when things turn bad which is the subject of this review...

Thankfully the chairs are much more comfortable than downstairs at the Edge Buffet and casual dining restaurant, as they feature small cushions which hit the right spot. The tables are large (even for couples) and the space between tables is generous. On the night I dined there were however, no other guests in the restaurant - however its possible there were and I just couldnt see them! (not joking).

There is Free Wifi internet throughout the hotel it seems and this worked flawlessly and was much appreciated.

I was offered free bread and a trio of spreads including olive tapendae, salsa and egg plant. The bread was a generous size, no doubt meant for two persons, but the spreads were frankly a little stingy and were quickly demolished. Compare this to Casa Pascal in Pattaya (probably the closest fine dining restaurant) where even for one diner you are given a much more generous serving of the spread of the day, a selection of breads and an ever changing Amuse Bouche.

Before I get to the 'meat' of the review I would like to make another point about other reviews commenting on pricing at Flare. What none of them mention is that unlike any other 5 star hotel I have dined at, they actually include the service charge 10% and Vat 7% in the prices! So when you get the bill the prices are actually less than the menu, and service and VAT is added on top. So while the prices at Flare are definitely steep, they are really not that bad taking this into consideration.

However, you will still have to part with over 300 baht including service and VAT for a glass of house wine which while being drinkable was hardly anything special. I tried both the white and red house wines.

I ordered the Beef Tataki which was recommended by one of the servers. It was served with a ginger sauce, and was quite good although the sauce probably overpowered the beef somewhat. According to the server it was 80 grams of beef, and I can disagree with this. It was 550 baht, again including service and vat.

For main course I ordered the Duck with Foie Gras. Its important to note that this dish is 'marketed' as Duck with Foie Gras. I specifically ordered it because I felt like some good fresh Foie Gras (not available in Australia). i also ordered a side of potato gratin.

The dish arrived and the first thing that struck me was the portion size of the duck appeared quite small. There were about 7 'mouthfuls' of sliced duck and on top was the seared Foie Gras.

The potato gratin as a side dish at 150 baht was tiny. There was honestly about 3 tablespoons of potato. It was however, very good so no complaints there.

The problem was the Foie Gras... it was not fresh. It had that rank, foul smell and taste that is a dead giveaway that it was not fresh. At this point I was immediately very disappointed and mentioned this to a male waiter who understood what I was saying, and ran to the kitchen (without my plate) presumably to rectify the problem.

I was left sitting there by myself, wondering what I should do. Should I continued eating the Duck? Surely they will replace the whole dish considering the Foie Gras was sitting on top of the duck? I had plenty of time to decide what to do, because the server disappeared for what seemed like an eternity. In reality it was about 15 minutes. So there I am sitting by myself in an empty and darkened restaurant with my cold duck waiting for a resolution.

I eventually after about ten minutes decided I may as well eat the duck or I might die of hunger, so I did. Then after another five minutes or so another staff member checked if everything was ok. No! It was not okay because your other server is missing in action!

He finally returned with a saucer on which was the most pathetic piece of Foie Gras I have ever seen. Despite the first piece being about 10mm thick, this was about 4mm. The fact I had almost finished the duck by now and what was left of it was cold anyway escaped his attention.

He explained that the Foie Gras had been left in an area of the fridge where the temperature was not sufficient to chill it properly and that is why it wasn't fresh.

He waited while I tried the new piece of Foie Gras and he could clearly see what my reaction was. Yes it was fresh, but it was so thin and so overcooked that it was actually bitter to the taste. It was nothing like it was supposed to be. I told him this, but he made no attempt to rectify by the problem by replacing it again. By this stage of course I had completely lost faith in the ktichen so what was the point.

I explained why this was unsatisfactory to two separate service staff who all nodded their heads and agreed, and one who I later found out was the duty manager mumbled something about a 'discount'.

I got the bill and was shocked to see the Duck with Foie Gras was still on the bill and no discount had been given. I complained to the server who rushed out the back for 8 minutes before returning to tell me that the original duty manager had gone home and she couldn't contact her on her mobile! The new manager had given me 20% off the food, but this was totally unacceptable for several reasons:

(1) The entire dish should have been replaced as the Foie Gras was sitting on the duck.
(2) The male server who went to the kitchen should not have left me hanging for 15 mins.
(3) When the second piece of Foie Gras came back from the kitchen and it was very clear I was not happy, any reasonable restaurant would have attempted to solve the problem by returning with a suitable replacement. Bo
(4) The duty manager who I explained this all to should have cleared this up a that point, and certainly should not have gone home and left the problem to someone else who I then had to explain the problem to for another ten minutes!
(5) The restaurant totally failed to deliver the dish I ordered and therefore I should not have to pay.

This 'discount' amounted to 236 baht off the bill for my 850 baht Duck with Foie Gras. I literally begged and pleaded with the manager to take the Duck off the bill considering what had transpired but no, all I was going to get was 236 baht off an 850 baht dish that failed miserably.

Finally as I was leaving one of the head chefs a foreign South African turned up in the restaurant and I explained the debacle to him, and he listened patiently to my concerns and he agreed that several mistakes were made including the time taken to fix the problem and other aspects. However, I had already paid the bill at this stage so nothing more could be done (or at least nothing else WAS done). I noted that he said 'we have loads of Foie Gras' so clearly that wasnt the problem. I was asked whether I was staying at the hotel, and when I said no, that was the end of it.

To make matter worse, the duck was very average, not moist and quite bland, and as stated above the portion size was not nearly adequate enough.

I think enough said.... ;)

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Singapore
“Fabulous food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This is a very nice restuarant - expensive but nice
The food is well cooked tasty and well presented
One question ? Why so dark??
I am all for atmosphere but its pitch black!!

• Visited May 2012