“Brilliant Family Holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Free Wi-Fi + Free ABF
Ranked #17 of 388 Hotels in Pattaya
“Brilliant Family Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Great water park. Good beach. Fantastic friendly staff. Rooms are big, clean and comfortable. Restaurants are to a very high standard however expensive. Bars are also expensive however do not let that put you off. There are plenty of supermarkets, restaurants & bars just outside the hotel. So you can always get a few beers and bring them in. Round the corner, there is a really good German bar (Little Heidelberg) that does a good breakfast and evening meals, all reasonably priced. Hotel well recommended for families. We will return.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cambs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We have just returned from Pattaya after spending 11 nights at the Grand Mirage. I loved this hotel for many reasons. I was travelling with my husband and two children and were looking for a beach/pool type holiday in January. We knew that Pattaya was not a great destination for families due to it's go-go bars etc, so wanted a resort to provide entertainment and fun for the children (aged 7 and 9). It was exactly what we got. Lifeguards and security were everywhere so it made you feel really safe leaving the children to play in the extensive pool, lazy river, slides etc. They often played with the children and kept an eye on them, knowing all of them by name. The staff at the pool swim up bar were amazing too (especially TinTin) who was fantastic.

We found the staff at the front desk to be great, especially Nop who went out of his way to sort out a difficult situation for us.

We had intended to eat out of the hotel while we were there, but found we had no need to. The restaurants were all great, serving lovely food, in particular Ginger and Lime where I spent my 40th Birthday. I know that the restaurants were all more expensive than eating out, but were still relatively inexpensive especially if you do the Baht Bonanza which gives you an extra 30% for your money in the hotel, which is really worthwhile.

All of the rooms are sea views, so you really shouldn't be paying more to have this as an upgrade. However, if you're travelling as a family I can't recommend the family rooms enough, with twice the space of a regular room, two bedrooms, huge bathroom, living room, kitchen area, dressing room and enormous balcony.

I didn't find the loungers by the pool to be a problem, they weren't brand new and shiny, but were some of the more comfortable I have sat on. I never had a problem finding some in the area I wanted because there were loads.

I agree with previous reviewers that probably the only downside is the large amount of Russian tourists at the hotel. They are generally quite unfriendly and rude to the staff, but I knew this before I went and in fact the Thai staff love the English more because of it.

Overall, the best things about the hotel are the staff, the pools and the theming. I would love to go back.

Room Tip: Definitely worth getting a higher floor for less noise, the smaller tower is quieter than the larger...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
emerald city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Some will be fine with the grand exterior and big sprawling pools. Look closer and you see that the here and there things are poorly maintained. The lounge chairs around the massive pool areas are not inviting to sit in and need replacing. Though serviceable, the originally white chairs (plasticky to boot) are dirty and dirt-colored. Even placing sunbrella cushions would make it look nicer. The yellow pool towels are tired as well. My daughter rushed to play in the tiny playground area, all the equipment was dirty with bird poop and she refused to touch anything, saying, they should clean it better...

The staff is either super friendly or super disinterested. It gives off an overall impression of a large, impersonal chain hotel that does not really care about their staff, and it doesn't give that warm, fuzzy feeling one associates with Thai warmth and hospitality.

Don't even get me started on the rooms, which even in the club room had a musty odor upon entering, so I HAVE to have the air-con on all the time, though this was not the case when I stayed in other hotel rooms, I don't mind muggy, it is, after all, Thailand, but moldy and septic-y simply won't do. The bathroom design where you have to have the curtains drawn around the bathtub in order to have any privacy in the toilet, is just weird. Whoever masterminded that design fail should not be allowed to design any more hotel rooms.

Room Tip: The higher the better. But I'd rather suggest, go to Hua Hin.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
eamrooms, Manager at Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear beasttraveler,

Dear Roy D,

Thank you for your time to comment in detail on tripadvisor.com on your recent stay in our resort. Your comments on our services and facilities have now been shared with our management and department heads concerned and will be a valuable contribution to help us to continuously improve and maintain the quality of services and comfort, we provide to our guests.

We look forward welcoming you soon again at Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort.

Cordially,
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Excellent place to stay for the entire family. The swimming pools and water slides are fantastic. The hotel's private beach is also nice offering all kinds of water sports as well. The staff was polite and very helpful. Every day there are several activities in the pool as well as different there are different theme buffets for dinner. The breakfast was awesome having a huge spread. Overall an excellent place to stay and holiday with the family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

i stayed in the centara grand mirage for 2 weeks in july/august in 2012 great people and very welcoming. Big rooms with a mini bar the balcony has amazing views the pools were cleaned every day to a good standard the only thing was the language barrier their English wasnt good but got ways of interacting in other ways i would definitely go back

Room Tip: every room is good but apparently the higher you go up the better the room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Massive complex with great atmosphere. Stayed there 6 nights in Nov 2012 with my family (2+2) together with our friends (also 2+2). All our kids are 2-5 years and they loved the place and so did we. Excellent facilities to do sports, swim (pools are great) and eat.
Also rooms were good, nothing special but nice and clean. Breakfast was very good with wide selection.
The location of the hotel is quite good as well, it's close to the city, but still having some distance to "Pattaya downtown" which is good with family travelers. However, it is easy to take a tour in downtown as well (appr. 15 min tuk-tuk to Central Festival Shopping mall).

Our only complaint was that there were soooo many russians with their nice not-queuing-habits. However, this seems to be the case everywhere nowadays...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reigate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in November 2012. I travelled by myself and felt quite comfortable in the hotel and surrounding areas (I didn't venture out much in the evenings, mostly just during the day). The hotel is lovely. My room was very large, with a very big double bed and chaize longue. The balcony overlooked the pool and sea (some websites say all rooms have sea views but some companies seem to charge more for a sea view - as far as I could tell, all the rooms would have a sea view) and had two very comfortable sunloungers.

The bathroom was separated from the main room area by a curtain, with the shower being behind a wall. This was fine for me but might be a bit awkward if you are sharing a room with teenagers for example. The furnishings in the room were lovely, the decor was very nice and the towels and sheets were changed more often than necessary.

There was a fruit bowl in the room, which was refilled each day. Local bottled water is provided for free in your room, along with branded water which you have to pay for and is very expensive. I found the local bottled water tasted a bit strange so tended to buy water from the shop just opposite the hotel where it was much cheaper.

The pool areas are very nice. There is a lazy river and several sections of the main pool. There is also a lap pool for adults only, although it is situated quite close to the children's water slides, so wasn't necessarily completely quiet. There is an infinity pool, which overlooks the beach but I was never able to get a sunbed in that area (which is also adults only) as the beds were often reserved (but not always occupied). The hotel guide in the rooms says you're not allowed to reserve beds but people often did. I was still always able to find a bed in a nice spot, but it would be better if the hotel enforced their own rules. There was also some smoking in the non-smoking areas, such as near the pool bars, but this wasn't a huge problem.

My room was quite close to the lifts but I didn't experience any noise from other guests. I was on the fifth floor which was fine - great views but not too high. There were only two lifts for each half of the hotel but you never had to wait too long for them.

The food was nice, lots of choice for breakfast. I ate all of my evening meals in the hotel and found the restaurants to be very good but expensive and often very quiet. I think a lot of the guests went into town to eat. The food at the Italian was lovely and the resident chef was attentive and friendly. There was also a steak house and an asian buffet (with very attentive staff, although on the first night I went there the staff nearly outnumbered the guests so I guess they can be attentive!). To give an idea of price, the asian restaurant was an all you can eat buffet for around 700 baht, which was about £15. You went up to choose what you wanted and they cooked it fresh for you - you could ask for a certain dish to have an ingredient left out, or something extra put in - whatever you wanted - and the portions were generous. The drinks weren't cheap but the cocktails were nice - they often served them up in a coconut or pineapple too, which was a nice touch.

The gym is well equipped - you can even hire a pair of trainers! I visited the hotel spa three times and it was really nice and relaxing. It wasn't cheap but I also tried the local Savannah spa, which was much cheaper and the difference in quality was clearly apparent. (At the Savannah the therapist didn't speak any English at all so it was hard to discuss the treatments - you pointed at what you wanted on the price list.)

The beach is quite small and there are people selling things, although if you lay back on your sunbed or stick your nose in a book they don't bother you that much. I didn't notice any bad smells or rubbish on the beach, although I didn't go into the sea.

The weather was a little disappointing. It was always very hot, even late at night but we had a fair amount of rain an cloud, which stopped you from lying by the pool.

There wasn't any evening entertainment, apart from a couple of dancers who did a 10 minute mini show in reception in the early evening. There was a sports bar and karaoke rooms, which I didn't use.

The bar behind the lobby was a nice place to sit on an evening, with nice cocktails and a lovely view out towards the sea.

Pattaya itself is very built up and touristy - this is not the place to go for seclusion and natural beauty. You can get taxis or "baht buses" into the town centre - the baht buses are excellent value. I walked down the sea front road one day and it took a little over an hour from the hotel to the middle of the resort, at a slow pace.

There are a few big shopping malls, with a mix of brands and market stalls. Walking Street is the home of the "go-go" bars. I wasn't going to go there on my own but was told it was ok to do so. I ended up going with a lady I met at the hotel and we felt quite comfortable walking down the road amongst the girls trying to get you to go into their bars - I guess two single women probably aren't their target market! There were groups of tourists and families there at around 9pm, so it's not seen as a place to be avoided.

I went on trips to an elephant park, the tiger zoo (you can hold a baby tiger, which was amazing, but I'm not certain of how good the animal welfare is on the whole), the botanical gardens (which were beautiful but I'm not sure why they felt the need to put plastic animals in the lovely gardens - the giant wooly mammoths didn't really add much in my opinion), Bangkok (lots of buddhas!) and the sanctuary of truth (an amazing wooden carved building, which is beautiful but is not a place of calm reflection as advertised - you have to wear a hard hat and there is music played through speakers and people working on the building with power tools). I also went to the Tiffany lady boy show, which was entertaining in it's own way!

There were a couple of places by the pool where you could get food at lunchtime an they ha a very good range of food, although again, it wasn't cheap. The hotel also has a small shop for crisps, drinks etc, plus a couple of shops selling clothes and jewellery.

As I was planning on eating in the hotel restaurants, I took advantage of the "baht bonanza" whereby you pay a set amount at the start of your holiday and the hotel add extra to your balance. The more you pay in the more the hotel add as a bonus. This saved me quite a lot of money - you can spend your balance in the bars, restaurants and spa - but make sure you do want to eat in the hotel or visit their spa before committing (but note you have to make your payment within a day or so of arrival, so don't be too slow).

The hotel internet seemed expensive but there were some internet and phone places on the main street nearby (10 minutes walk) which were very cheap, so I would suggest using those instead.

I didn't see many insects. I usually get bitten a lot on foreign holidays and I did get a few bites in Thailand but they didn't seem to itch too much. I saw a lizard one evening but if insects and creepy crawlies bother you, I don't think there is much to worry about here.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, as long as you're not expecting quiet, unspoilt Thai beauty. It's a good base for trips, is not too far from Bangkok (my airort transfer took less than the advertised two hours) and the hotel was lovely - spotlessly clean, well maintained and with excellent staff.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort? Share your experiences!