“Good but not great” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 388 Hotels in Pattaya
Melbourne, Australia
“Good but not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This was our third stay at this Hotel and while the staff were lovely and my children loved the pools and lazy river .There are little things that could easily be improved ,firstly the food in the club lounge is very basic and while the drinks are plentiful and always served with a smile if you are paying 5 star prices you should be getting 5 star qaulity,also the restaurants are beautiful but because of the prices are always empty it seems crazy that you have 800 quests and empty Restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

So we went to this hotel 19 October for honeymoon. Arrived, hotel seemed nice from front, all very wood, safari like. Trees. When checking in, seemed to take a while, they required a room deposit, ours was 300 uk pounds. Which we did get on checking out. The bell boys will sort your cases. When booking , it's stated if on honeymoon you will receive special things.... One of these was fresh fruit and champagne on arrival, fresh flowers in bed, bath and sink and. 1000 baht spa voucher, this all provided you have a marriage certificate. So we get our room key and go to room, nothing done, no flowers no nothing. I was really dissApointed.... As I was looking forward to that, all them little touches matter to me. We got a room upgrade , but room had no bath. After 16 hours of travelling , I wasn't in the mood so I rung down to front desk. They couldn't understand what I was on about, by this point wasn't happy!!!! That was first let down. After a long awkward language barrier phone call they changed our room to one with a bath and the next day put all the flowers and spa voucher in room... Not same then though!!
The pool area and rester aunts are superb!!! 5 star hotel standard!!!!
Few tips........ Easier in bullet points!
* infinity pool is only place were they have sun all day long , beds get occupied from 7.30am!!!

* do not need to take towels !!! Hotel provide beach towels and bath towels.

* people wit walking difficulties... This hotel not for you!!! There is no wheelchair access to the pools or beach, and on average I walked 40 steps, to get down to pool,that not counting my return to hotel!!!! I'm 27 , an I was exhausted in that heat!!!!

* breakfast isn't the best!! Busy, over crowded, food has flies all over! Take cereal in your luggage

* don't buy drinks from hotel, there is a family mart right outside . For a bottle coke it 17 baht, in hotel it was over 200 baht!!

* walk along beach and buy yourself a sweetcorn, delicious!!!

Oasis was very nice food for evening meal. Check at front desk the have different theme nights on. We didn't go to any of them though.

* please ask any questions. The hotel fabulous!!!!!! But as soon as you step out from the hotel it's like the pits! Smells of sewage, stray starved dogs everywhere. Mopeds, and taxis driving really fast.
They say the hotel is a bit out of the way, but better, as being right on beac road in pattaya would be busy, loud and smelly!!! It costs 150 baht to beach road, in a taxi!!!! They will say 200, nut they will accept 150 baht.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was my second visut to this hotel with same good impression. Fun for my kid to spending time in pools. The room also very Nice. Service was great. We never ran out of supplies for free water,coffee, ice. I recomend for family with young kids. You will find good tim for sure

• Stayed October 2012
Tarland, ABOYNE, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

If you are in need of a completely relaxing holiday in a quiet, clean and running like clockwork hotel next to the sea, this is the place. Attention to detail in every aspect is spot on - accommodation, food, service. Only one complaint - having to leave!!

Room Tip: Well designed building. All rooms face the sea.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
bangkok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Poor management.

Rude and cheating staffs

Greedy reception.

the business center should be open from 9 am to 8 pm,but until 4 pm was still closed.

i ordered one cocktail at coffee shop , when I finished , I was still in my seat before I asked anything the staff bring the bill , and treat like a person maybe I gone and not pay the bill.

bellboy , reception , housekeeping noting to say just we are busy we are busy

telephone operator take long time to answer the phones.

front office manager was real foolish and cheating guy.

Room Tip: Amari group management is better than Centara group.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
eamrooms, Manager at Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Summerwine-thai,

Thank you for your time to comment on tripadvisor.com on your recent stay in our hotel. Your feedback on our services and facilities have now been shared with all department heads concerned and have been a precious contribution to improve our performance and future guest experience.
We look forward welcoming you back soon again at Centara Grand Mirage.
Cordially,
The Management
Bournemouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

A great hotel if you have a youngish family but not for two adults - if you are on floor 14 and wish to relax in your room or on the balcony the noice from the pool areas is deafening and sounds like a loud school playground. The quiet pool was shut when we arrived on October 5th so we contacted reception and she referred us to the infinity pool - this is nowhere near large enough for the number of people staying at the hotel it is way too small and the sun bed area is also too small around this particular poole. We complained and asked when the quiet pool would re-open but we could not get an answer from reception however the next day I have to say this pool was open (we suspected they had not cleaned it although we had been told the steps were broken). Children did try to swim in this particular pool but I have to day the pool attendant did say it was for adults only although the noise from the main pool and lazy river was very loud so it was hardly a quiet pool.

In the evenings the hotel was absolutely dead although we paid 10,000 baht upfront and got an extra 5000 from the hotel - we did not want to eat in the empty restaurants so we had room service and also had very good food at the beach restaurant/snack bar during the day and also the lobby snack bar overlooking the gardens and pools just set back from the entrance.

We visited the cocktail bar and to my horror my pinocolada was served in a tumbler type milk glass with a chunk of pineapple on the side. My husband returned this and the mistake was immediately rectified but come on this was an up market cocktail bar whatever are staff thinking of. No wonder there was only myself and husband and one other couple in this bar not to mention the cost of the drinks.

The Italian Restaurant was beautifully set out but no one ever used it and the staff member by the lobby kept trying to sell us the buffett eveing at £25.00 per head without drinks but we did not pursue this.

Our room was lovely on the 14th Floor although for a five star hotel there was no small sink in the toilet area and you did have to come back into the main part of your room to wash your hands. My husband and I did not have an issue with a shower curtain dividing the bathroom from the bedroom but I can understand why some guests have not liked this - these could be modified and doors could easily be fitted with frosted glass.

Breakfast was like a free for all with lots of Thai, Japanease, Chinease piling their tables with plate after plate of food and then most of the food was wasted - it was absolutely jaw dropping to see this. The girl cooking omlettes had absolutely no idea and the fried eggs looked awful. We had to keep asking for bacon and it was like chewing leather. If you went to breakfast at 9.45 a.m. most of the pineapple had gone and was not replenished although I did ask for some and I was told to go to my table and they would bring me some which the waiter very kindly did so much so I could not eat it all and decided to take it to my room - I was stopped and told I could not do this - I objected and said I did not want to waste the pineapple and eventually I was allowed to take it to my room.

Cleanliness of the room was first class and our cleaner was excellent so no problems there.

Overall needs lots of tweeking, a much better dining experience/room for breakfast felt like a cattle market.

In the bedroom no mirror over dressing table just a picture - told reception about this bad design and was told to mention it on trip advisor - didn't seem a bit interested.

Light in bathroom nearly hit my head on it several times at it is too low down near the sink.

Overall a three star stay = not five star

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear barrie12,

Thank you for your time to comment on tripadvisor.com on your recent stay in our hotel. Your feedback on our services and facilities have now been shared with all department heads concerned and have been a precious contribution to improve our performance and future guest experience in our resort.
We look forward welcoming you back soon again at Centara Grand Mirage.
Cordially,
The Management
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I've stayed here many times over the past three years and it never disappoints. The rooms are great, the activities and staff are great....but the best thing about the place is the pools. If you have young kids there is nowhere better. Absolutely world class. My kids could easily play on the water slides all day.

The only negatives I can think of is that the restaurants are horribly overpriced (take a walk up the road and there are good places to eat/drink) and that there are a few places on the lazy river slides where you WILL stub your toe or bash your head on an underwater rock - they are sharp and badly placed. But overall it is an amazing place and those two small negatives are far far outweighed by the many many positives. I would like to stay here more often but it is usually full.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Centara Grand Mirage Beach Resort? Share your experiences!