“suite was nice but could have been cleaner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Baraquda Pattaya - MGallery Collection

You added Hotel Baraquda Pattaya - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
Hotel Baraquda Pattaya - MGallery Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   485/1 Moo 10, Pattaya 2nd Road | Nongprue, Banglamung, Pattaya 20260, Thailand (Formerly Dusit D2 Baraquda Pattaya Hotel)   |
Ranked #20 of 376 Hotels in Pattaya
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“suite was nice but could have been cleaner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

I have stayed in a few places around Pattaya and this was by far the most expensive room I have stayed in there. I had one of the suites. The room was huge with a living room and bedroom. There is a small powder room just inside the front door. there are two sinks in the bedroom/bathroom area. There is a safe and tons of storage space.

At check in things went fairly smoothly. For some odd reason though the guy who was showing me to my room didn't know where it was. The suites are in their own little pod on the front of the building while the majority of rooms go down the side. Once we got all the way to the end of the side he realized that I was in a suite which is basically right next to the elevator. My luggage arrived at the room before we did.

The bedroom has an enormous jacuzzi tub right behind the round bed. So, everything is a little over-designed but I guess that is the point of this place. The shower was big enough for at least two with a couple of big rain shower heads. Unfortunately there was quite a bit of mold in the shower as well. I am fairly sensitive to mold so this was an issue for me.

There are about 100 little switches all over the room and I never really did figure out which switch controlled which lights or other functions. The air conditioning in the bedroom did not shut off no matter where you set the thermostat. So I had to turn it off altogether. So there were certainly some maintenance issues.

My rate included breakfast which was quite good and was served until fairly late.

The service was generally friendly but not everyone had much command of English.

The pool is very large but I do not spend time at pools so I can't comment beyond that.

It is a very loud location, there's no denying that. The shopping center next door hosts concerts most nights so there is loud music until late at night. But it is also quite convenient right on 2nd road. The Royal Garden Plaza is a very short walk away. And the new Central mall is a bit farther walk. Beach road is not far. You can easily walk around to entertainment and places to eat.

Was it worth the money? Not really, but I was looking for a splurge. If the room had been better-maintained I would have rated it higher. I will likely stay there again in one of the regular rooms rather than a suite if I can get a decent rate.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

I stayed at suite 5115 on the 5th. floor (D2 Duplex Suite facing 2cd Road) from June 04-19.2010 The D2 has a total of 4x D Suites on the 5th floor with 2 facing second road and 2 facing the courtyard and pool area.

What I disliked: Very noisy at night because of the disco below and the bars across the street, no smoking policy in rooms, no writing/computer desk, not very clean (in the beginning) either but the housekeeper took care immediately of everything after complaining. I highly recommend booking the two D2 suites facing the pool area.

I liked: no joiner fees, great location, efficient room service, extremely friendly and efficient front desk staff !!, very reliable and fast internet access, excellent and quick laundry service, in-room Nespresso machines and plenty of coffees to choose from, complimentary bottled water, luxurious spa with discounts for clients staying at a suite, tight security - "friends" can't leave the hotel without getting a phone confirmation that everything is well, great breakfast - and again the staff at the food outlets are among the best in Pattaya: Daily average rate (Dusit Take-2 Special) was 7700.00 THB including taxes (US$265.00). Regular rates are steep 10.700.00 THB including taxes (US$355.00) Thus the hotel offers lots of specials.... The next time I would probably book one of their regular suites (separate Living/Bedroom) on one floor because it seems to be more convenient and you do not have to run always up and down. The room size is just about the same and the rate is roughly 2000.00 THB lower too. Regular rooms have just a basic size.

This was the next time:
Unfortunately I found out that not every suite has a desk or at least a chair etc.. - very basic. I stayed again at D2 from Nov 05-09 & 16-20 and paid THB 8000.00 including tax (US$265.00) per day for a junior suite on the 4th floor facing Second Rd.

Conclusion: extremely noisy, the ice cold air-condition blows you almost out of the room, the room was not clean at all (this seems to be a soft spot at this hotel), the bedroom sliding door mirror had some unidentified "lotion" on it :-), lots of wearing & tearing signs etc. Despite its great location and my Dusit Gold Membership this hotel lost its touch to me and I do not consider it very special anymore after staying here again. I think its a bit over-prized in the meantime (with a few room/location exceptions) The next time I simply pay a bit more and consider to stay in a nice suite at the new Hilton on Beachroad.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

Honestly, the D2 is a 3-star to 3.5-star boutique hotel at best, but it is advertised as 5-star. The rooms are nice enough, but there is construction noise in buildings next to the hotel and bar (loud music) noise. The staff is mostly untrained by international hotel standards, and they are "nice" but not really 5 star professionals. Upon check-in, the hotel staff asked me my name numerous times, as is her mind was daydreaming 1000 miles (or 1600 kilometers) away. When we checked-out, it took three disoriented people, and 15 minutes to simply get three small bags to my car, so I ended up taking one bag myself. Breakfast was not very good (and I was the only person there), so I skipped it the second day I was there. I was very disappointed and would only stay again if the price was under $100 USD per night for the larger suite, off season, and then again maybe not even then. The Internet was free and fast, at least they got that right.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

Before chosing a place to stay we read some reviews and booked D2 for the location and service...apart from the indeed good location we found the service & cleanliness below our expecaction. After the inital challenges we had upon arrival - which was far away from being warm and friendly - we struggled to settle. We had challenges in our room and really didnt get through to the staff; we also struggled to get hold of of the Manager which seems to be unavailable rather often.
All in all a disappointing stay - be careful.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
dusitD2, General Manager at Hotel Baraquda Pattaya - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, December 24, 2010
Dear EdinburghNik,
Many thanks for your feedback via Tripadvisor and please accept my sincere apologies that you didn't experience at d2 what the other 92% of tripadvisor guests positively comment about us. I wish to personally get in touch with you since I wish to investigate this matter and to rectify shortcomings in order to constantly improve our services..
Especially the remark that you were not able to reach the manager surprises me - we do have 24/7 Duty Managers and I am personally always available either in person on property but at least by phone if a challenge needs to be resolved.
Can you kindly contact me on my company mail michael@dusit.com that I can discuss your previous stay.
Kind regards & merry Christmas,
pattaya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

totally awesome with fantastic service efficent friendly staff,superb bulding with the best rooms.The pool is wonderfull and the DEEP bar and sunset lounge are without doubt among the best in thailand.We stayed before at amari nova never again this is better and cheaper.oh yes and the S.E.A restaurant is better than mantra .

Dear IBMthai,
Delightful greetings from dusitD2 and many thanks for your review. I am glad that you have been able to enjoy your stay and we are looking forward to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 9 days in November 2010. I first noticed it on a stay in Pattaya 8 months earlier and the reception staff kindly showed me around.
The hotel is ultra modern and has a certain "wow factor" about it. The reception area is spacious, the staff are friendly, and the rooms are well fitted out. It offered great value for money and I will definetelly go back.
I guess however that you only find out how good a hotel is when you encounter a problem. A colleague I was travelling with became seriously ill at the end of our stay. As soon as I brought the problem to the attention of the hotel they managed to get a doctor and an ambulance to the hotel within 10 minutes. My colleague was hospitalised for 5 days and made a full recovery. The hotel allowed me to extend my stay for 1 night and went out of their way to help me in any way they could. I made what some might condider unreasonable requests for help, and on each occasion the staff obliged.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Timw78,
It's always a pleasure for me to respond to such a beautiful review on tripadvisor. Many thanks for your kind words and I am happy that my team was able to exceed your expecations.
We hope to be able to welcome you and your friend back again soon,
Kind personal regards,
Maui
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

I stayed at Dusit D2 Baraquda Pattaya Hotel for the first time this past October 2010. I went with a group of friends on a golf trip. I would really recommend this hotel. The lobby as you enter was laid out beautifully. The front desk people were very helpful, and we were checked in within minutes. I really appreciated the free Wi-Fi which enabled me to stay in contact with my friends and family back home. The room was great and it had a king size bed. The hotel is centrally located, and within walking distance from the beach and Walking Street. The staff is excellant; they were very accommodating if you needed anything. Because we were traveling in a group, we would meet in the lobby after golf before going to dinner. On one half of the lobby is a lounge/bar area, where we had drinks while waiting for everyone to arrive. While we did order drinks from the bar, we also bought in wine that we purchased elsewhere, and they were more than helpful to open the bottles for us, and provide the wine glasses. They even provided us with plates for the cheese, crackers and snacks we bought to munch on.
What really “WOWED” me was, we left Pattaya, to go to Bangkok to continue our golf trip. The next day after I left, I received an email from Orathai Thong-Ngam aka “Poo” the Desk Whiz, saying that upon my departure, housekeeping checked my safe in the room, and they found 8,000 Yen in the safe, and wanted to know what I would like to do. I gave Poo my mailing address, instructed them to deduct the cost of postage from the 8,000 yen, and send it to me, which I received less than a week later. What really “WOWED” me about this experience is the integrity & honesty of the staff of Dusit D2 Baraquda Pattaya Hotel. Unfortunately, if the same thing happened elsewhere in the world, that money may never have been reported, and returned. While the looks of the facilities are important, the way the staff conducted themselves will be a memory that will outlast the building itself. It is the staff that will keep people coming back to stay at Dusit D2 Baraquda Pattaya Hotel.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Dear AlohaMaui2010,
Delightful greetings from dusitD2 and many thanks for your kind review. It's indeed true that the integrity of all our employees is unbeatable. All the rest of your review speaks for itself and will for sure be a great help for tripadvisor users to make their hotel decision in Pattaya.
We hope that you and many of your friends will visit us soon again,
Kind personal regards,
Michael Ganster

Been to Hotel Baraquda Pattaya - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!