“This hotel is not DUSIT grade” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Baraquda Pattaya

Save Saved
You added Hotel Baraquda Pattaya to your Saves list
Hotel Baraquda Pattaya
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   485/1 Moo 10, Pattaya 2nd Road | Nongprue, Banglamung, Pattaya 20260, Thailand (Formerly Dusit D2 Baraquda Pattaya Hotel)   |
Ranked #20 of 370 hotels in Pattaya
Bangkok, Thailand
“This hotel is not DUSIT grade”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I had chanced to stay at this hotel for 1 night. At first it sounds good but once I arrive the hotel I really feel disappointed
1. Check-in very slow,
2. Room is not as good as expected,
3. Facilities in the room are not good,
4. Bed and pillow really have bad smell (damp) and itchy (คัน) in the morning,
5. Internet is slow,
6. Breakfast is terrible,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
dusitD2baraquda, Front Office Manager at Hotel Baraquda Pattaya, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
on behalf of the management and staff of dustD2 baraquda pattaya, i would like to express our gratitude for sharing with us your valuable feedback.
i would also like to extend my personal appreciation towards your time you had taken of your busy schedule to highlight the challenges you had during your stay. we have addressed these concerns with the department heads and they will be taken seriously.

through additional training and support of our team; we are certain that we can benefit from your suggestion and improve.

thank you so much for your patronage and we all at dusitD2 baarquda pattaya are so looking forward to seeing your smile when visit our snazzy design hotel again soon.

warmest personal regards,
harry,
desk whiz(front office manager)

385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Firstly let me say that Dusit D2 was one of my most favourite hotels, the standard of rooms and helpful staff made it a joy to say here.
But its all changed...... I stayed here over the New Year period, and as the previous review states the hot water in the hotel stopped working, instead of telling its guests, the hotel left you to find out by yourselves, the result was me having a shower in disgusting brown water. I complained and was told that the hotel had been aware of the problem for some time, and that was it!
My duvet had blood on it from a previous guest, again I complained, and again nothing.
The chair in my room broke during my stay and it took 6 staff to look at it, before deciding to bring an new one.
The little gifts left on your pillow during turn down service have now gone.
The A/C in the room stunk really bad, again i complained, and the result, some air freshner was put in my room to hide the smell !

I have since emailed the management of the hotel and the response.... A standardised email response saying that my comments would be reviewed.

Does this hotel really have manangment? do they care what us guests think?

A once brilliant hotel is now terrible.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
dusitD2baraquda, General Manager at Hotel Baraquda Pattaya, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear SteveKellyLondon,

First and foremost, we sincerely thank you for your continued support over the years, and your kind comments on tripadvisor.com.

As the new manager who has just started less than a week, we could only say that each and every guest's comment will be addressed in short period of time. We do hope that we will be of service to you in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Jack Nakamadee
Hotel Manager
Biscuits60
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Having read the other recent reviews I can see in some ways where they are comming from with regards to this being a top end hotel. Pattaya was not my choice of place to stay having stayed once before and hated it, but it was the last leg of our trip and as my husband works in Thailand he wanted to catch up with friends for the New Year. We arrived on the 27th Dec and left on the 3rd Jan which by then we were both looking forward to getting back to Bangkok and away

The staff were great could not fault any of them what ever they did in the hotel from reception to cleaner. We stayed in a D Suite and had a view of the main street which we did not mind as we love to people watch, which is great if you had something to sit on and a table thrown in to have your nightcap on would of been nice as well. Having said that when I asked about the lack of balcony furniture to the reception staff we had 2 seats put up stairs right away be it that they would of been more at home around a conference table they were something to park on

My husband was not too keen on the stairs to the bedroom but I put that down to the fact that he was bothered about getting up them after a night out, I however, thought that there was no need for so many sinks so you could maybe of had more cuboard space but maybe that is a girl thing, and what was there definatly did not have enough hangers. The bathroom area is far too big and there is no privacy so if thats not a problem then you must have no secrets other wise you wait until the other is out or down stairs. The bed was the most comfy I have slept in and my other agreed (that was something by the way) and the little gift and turn down was a nice touch but would of prefered it if this was better put to use elsewhere in other areas

The cruncher came new years eve when our plans changed so we booked for the meal there which was a little pricy but you are on your hols so you throw caution to the wind, they did make a good effort but my husband nearly blew a gaskit twice that night nearly did not need fire works in Pattaya, 1st the wine was way over priced at £60 a bottle but by then he was on a role and brought 2 so you could say it was his fault he could off had water and tried turning it into wine, and second we were all told to go up to the sky bar after to see the new year in but were not told that you were meant to book a table in advance, this is when him indoors threatend to check out demanding to know what the hell he had been paying for, given it was 11.30 at night this was not ideal but I could see where he was comming from, anyway after a quick phone call we were given a table. To go on to the other bar after midnight was going to cost another 5oo baht bt by this time him indoors had,had enough

I booked a car to take us to Bangkok on the 3rd and it turned up 40mins late had we been getting a flight it would of been me blowing a gaskit, would I recomend this hotel, I would say try it for yourself as it on the whole was okay, would I go back no. Everyone has a different experiance but I think on the whole it is over priced

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Firstly, I am keen to highlight that this review represents my personal opinion of this hotel. Having, spent 12 nights here, I do feel that I am in a position to make a number of personal observations. As like many other people, I will only every book a hotel ONCE I have reviewed any available comments via Trip Advisor. That said, I was aware that there has been some varying opinion as to the overall quality of this hotel. Nonetheless, taking all comments on board, I booked the hotel for 12 nights from the 24th December 2012. My thoughts are as follows:

I would agree that Pattaya needs a "boutique" hotel. Having stayed in this area previously, the quality of the hotels are variable. Hence, having an extended time in Pattaya, I wanted to be sure that I stayed somewhere of a decent standard. On arrival to the hotel, I was impressed by the timely check-in and the general feel of the reception area. Yes, this is a relatively new hotel and attempts to convey that "boutique" feel. However, I do think it falls short in a number of areas.

The room I stayed in for 12 days was located on the 4th floor. This has a clear view of the pool. There are some comments on trip advisor regarding the fact that the pool is in the shade for most of the afternoon. For me, this is a clear benefit. However, owing to the lack of seating, it can be sometimes difficult to secure a sun-lounger. That said, the loungers are very comfortable.

The quirky design of the room, well, you either love it or hate it. Again, there have been some comments on trip advisor relating to the overall functionality of the room. For me, all I require is a comfortable bed to sleep in and a shower. Both were provided. However, the actual layout of these guest rooms are odd. The bed is placed dead centre and looking out onto the the patio. However, the patio is far too small to place a basic table/chair. There is more than ample storage space. However, some of the shelf space is quite high up and difficult to reach.

I would agree with some of the comments on here that these rooms are in desperate need of an update/lick of paint. For a hotel that sells itself as 5 star, I would expect very exact attention to detail in terms of room facilities/decor. Unfortunately, this did not deliver.

During my stay at the hotel, I encountered a few problems. I will say, however, that the staff did try there best to address the issues. Again, it is sometimes difficult for staff to deliver a product that in my opinion falls significantly short of 5 star quality. As a result, I was actually finding myself making significant allowances for issues experienced. Those were:

1. On day 5, the room next door was having some maintenance work. The reason why I know this is because I was woken up at 10am by loud drilling!

2. On several days, the calming "mood" music by the pool would start around 830 am and was something more like a loud disco. Again, woken up by this on more than one day. Had to ring the reception and get them to turn it down, which they did.

3. On day 8, the room was without hot water. No problem, I can cope with it....had a cold shower! However, that evening, came back to find that the water was still not working. Reception staff were more than happy to sort it and arranged for an engineer to visit within 10 minutes. By this stage, the water was now brown! All sorted by the following day.

4. On or around day 4, I came back to the room to find that the cleaner had accidentally broken part of the glass surround of some Hermes Eau de Toilette. What annoyed me more was that I was not alerted on entering the hotel. Subsequently realised that the bottle was glued and selotaped back together. 100% for effort here but I did convey to staff that I would have appreciated a more upfront approach. The manager on duty was keen to highlight that the accidental damage was reported to the main desk and that the staff were waiting to speak to us. After some heated discussion (more on my part), the hotel offered compensation by providing 2 free meals and subsequently offered to replace the product. I declined both offers, attempting to highlight that I would have been preferred to have been alerted to the damage sooner rather than later. I fully appreciate that accidents do happen, even the cleaner in question apologised the day after. But for me, I was on holiday and just did not want the hassle. What I will say is that the hotel kindly provided a free night at the hotel and also 2 free spa treatments.

5. On day 9, the room updating to rooms on either side recommenced. However, this time, we were alerted to this in writing and that the work would not commence until 11am. Thank you!!! This gave us time to get out of the room BEFORE the noise started. I appreciate that there is likely to be no "ideal" time to take a room out of service BUT this was peak season and a busy week!

6. Aircon unit noisy and smelly. Very difficult to get a comfortable temperature.

This, perhaps, is one of the most explicit reviews I have written on Trip Advisor. This is partly due to the fact that I have tried to convey an honest viewpoint. I guess the lesson I have learned is that paying high prices does not necessarily result in a top notch product.

Go and see for yourself.....you may like it. Unfortunately, I really cannot recommend this hotel and would not plan a subsequent trip. Sorry D2.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with a pool view. Otherwise, you may find that you are walking right do...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

I just arrived at the Dusit today for a two night stay. I selected this property based on the reviews I read onTripadvisor and I am NOT disappointed. The Hotel is only three years old so it's in great condition. I booked a deluxe room and it is soooo nice. Very modern, spacious and clean. I could not ask for more. The pool area is amazing if you want to relax away from the beach and the crowds. The location is also excellent. Within a short walk to everything including the beach. The staff could not be more helpful and polite. Definitely 5 stars in my book.Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed here a couple of years ago and generally liked it. I decided to give it another try this year because I like its location. They were offering a rate that includes breakfast which was a decent value. Breakfast was good with a nice variety of things.

The staff are very nice and go out of their way to be helpful. Unfortunately the place is no aging well. The carpet in the elevators is filthy. Who puts carpet in an elevator anyway?

But the real problem was the room. The furnishings are looking very worn. The white desk chairs especially need replacing. It is also true as mentioned in other reviews that the layout of the room is odd with the bed in the middle with a kind of wrap-around round headboard. The first room I had was very dirty. The air intake for the a/c was caked in dirt as was the exhaust fan over the toilet. I am very sensitive to mold and was basically sneezing and stuffy from the minute I entered the room. Ultimately I went to the front desk to talk to the duty manager. I showed her the dirty room and noted the odd smell. She immediately asked me to pack my things as they would find me another room. Shortly I was moved a few doors down. Initially the second room did seem cleaner and did not smell bad. As my stay wore on though it did start to smell a bit musty. I think it is a big challenge in this climate to keep things clean and mold-free. Having exterior corridors doesn't help.

Ultimately I think this place needs a very thorough top to bottom cleaning, and potentially a total make over. There are better options at lower prices.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Park City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Great location,quick walk to everything,staff was great, well trained and went out of their way to help. The common areas are sleek and comfortable,especilay the pool whish had great loung chairs and day beds My only concern was that they tried to hard to make this a design hotel, with the function of the rooms suffering because of this.Number one rule in design; Form Follows Function. With this said the rooms a very poorly laid out. No side tables,alarm clock,storage or closet space.
The tip off to the room should have been when I entered, they have the Fashion channel playing, Models in outfits that you would never see in public, because they are so absurd and uncomfortable. They also had some liquid air freshener that was heated and produced the most god awfull aroma,almost imposible to breath. That describes the room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Baraquda Pattaya? Share your experiences!