Firstly, I am keen to highlight that this review represents my personal opinion of this hotel. Having, spent 12 nights here, I do feel that I am in a position to make a number of personal observations. As like many other people, I will only every book a hotel ONCE I have reviewed any available comments via Trip Advisor. That said, I was aware that there has been some varying opinion as to the overall quality of this hotel. Nonetheless, taking all comments on board, I booked the hotel for 12 nights from the 24th December 2012. My thoughts are as follows:
I would agree that Pattaya needs a "boutique" hotel. Having stayed in this area previously, the quality of the hotels are variable. Hence, having an extended time in Pattaya, I wanted to be sure that I stayed somewhere of a decent standard. On arrival to the hotel, I was impressed by the timely check-in and the general feel of the reception area. Yes, this is a relatively new hotel and attempts to convey that "boutique" feel. However, I do think it falls short in a number of areas.
The room I stayed in for 12 days was located on the 4th floor. This has a clear view of the pool. There are some comments on trip advisor regarding the fact that the pool is in the shade for most of the afternoon. For me, this is a clear benefit. However, owing to the lack of seating, it can be sometimes difficult to secure a sun-lounger. That said, the loungers are very comfortable.
The quirky design of the room, well, you either love it or hate it. Again, there have been some comments on trip advisor relating to the overall functionality of the room. For me, all I require is a comfortable bed to sleep in and a shower. Both were provided. However, the actual layout of these guest rooms are odd. The bed is placed dead centre and looking out onto the the patio. However, the patio is far too small to place a basic table/chair. There is more than ample storage space. However, some of the shelf space is quite high up and difficult to reach.
I would agree with some of the comments on here that these rooms are in desperate need of an update/lick of paint. For a hotel that sells itself as 5 star, I would expect very exact attention to detail in terms of room facilities/decor. Unfortunately, this did not deliver.
During my stay at the hotel, I encountered a few problems. I will say, however, that the staff did try there best to address the issues. Again, it is sometimes difficult for staff to deliver a product that in my opinion falls significantly short of 5 star quality. As a result, I was actually finding myself making significant allowances for issues experienced. Those were:
1. On day 5, the room next door was having some maintenance work. The reason why I know this is because I was woken up at 10am by loud drilling!
2. On several days, the calming "mood" music by the pool would start around 830 am and was something more like a loud disco. Again, woken up by this on more than one day. Had to ring the reception and get them to turn it down, which they did.
3. On day 8, the room was without hot water. No problem, I can cope with it....had a cold shower! However, that evening, came back to find that the water was still not working. Reception staff were more than happy to sort it and arranged for an engineer to visit within 10 minutes. By this stage, the water was now brown! All sorted by the following day.
4. On or around day 4, I came back to the room to find that the cleaner had accidentally broken part of the glass surround of some Hermes Eau de Toilette. What annoyed me more was that I was not alerted on entering the hotel. Subsequently realised that the bottle was glued and selotaped back together. 100% for effort here but I did convey to staff that I would have appreciated a more upfront approach. The manager on duty was keen to highlight that the accidental damage was reported to the main desk and that the staff were waiting to speak to us. After some heated discussion (more on my part), the hotel offered compensation by providing 2 free meals and subsequently offered to replace the product. I declined both offers, attempting to highlight that I would have been preferred to have been alerted to the damage sooner rather than later. I fully appreciate that accidents do happen, even the cleaner in question apologised the day after. But for me, I was on holiday and just did not want the hassle. What I will say is that the hotel kindly provided a free night at the hotel and also 2 free spa treatments.
5. On day 9, the room updating to rooms on either side recommenced. However, this time, we were alerted to this in writing and that the work would not commence until 11am. Thank you!!! This gave us time to get out of the room BEFORE the noise started. I appreciate that there is likely to be no "ideal" time to take a room out of service BUT this was peak season and a busy week!
6. Aircon unit noisy and smelly. Very difficult to get a comfortable temperature.
This, perhaps, is one of the most explicit reviews I have written on Trip Advisor. This is partly due to the fact that I have tried to convey an honest viewpoint. I guess the lesson I have learned is that paying high prices does not necessarily result in a top notch product.
Go and see for yourself.....you may like it. Unfortunately, I really cannot recommend this hotel and would not plan a subsequent trip. Sorry D2.