“Very disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Baraquda Pattaya - MGallery Collection

You added Hotel Baraquda Pattaya - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
Hotel Baraquda Pattaya - MGallery Collection
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   485/1 Moo 10, Pattaya 2nd Road | Nongprue, Banglamung, Pattaya 20260, Thailand (Formerly Dusit D2 Baraquda Pattaya Hotel)   |
Ranked #9 of 394 Hotels in Pattaya
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Firstly, I am keen to highlight that this review represents my personal opinion of this hotel. Having, spent 12 nights here, I do feel that I am in a position to make a number of personal observations. As like many other people, I will only every book a hotel ONCE I have reviewed any available comments via Trip Advisor. That said, I was aware that there has been some varying opinion as to the overall quality of this hotel. Nonetheless, taking all comments on board, I booked the hotel for 12 nights from the 24th December 2012. My thoughts are as follows:

I would agree that Pattaya needs a "boutique" hotel. Having stayed in this area previously, the quality of the hotels are variable. Hence, having an extended time in Pattaya, I wanted to be sure that I stayed somewhere of a decent standard. On arrival to the hotel, I was impressed by the timely check-in and the general feel of the reception area. Yes, this is a relatively new hotel and attempts to convey that "boutique" feel. However, I do think it falls short in a number of areas.

The room I stayed in for 12 days was located on the 4th floor. This has a clear view of the pool. There are some comments on trip advisor regarding the fact that the pool is in the shade for most of the afternoon. For me, this is a clear benefit. However, owing to the lack of seating, it can be sometimes difficult to secure a sun-lounger. That said, the loungers are very comfortable.

The quirky design of the room, well, you either love it or hate it. Again, there have been some comments on trip advisor relating to the overall functionality of the room. For me, all I require is a comfortable bed to sleep in and a shower. Both were provided. However, the actual layout of these guest rooms are odd. The bed is placed dead centre and looking out onto the the patio. However, the patio is far too small to place a basic table/chair. There is more than ample storage space. However, some of the shelf space is quite high up and difficult to reach.

I would agree with some of the comments on here that these rooms are in desperate need of an update/lick of paint. For a hotel that sells itself as 5 star, I would expect very exact attention to detail in terms of room facilities/decor. Unfortunately, this did not deliver.

During my stay at the hotel, I encountered a few problems. I will say, however, that the staff did try there best to address the issues. Again, it is sometimes difficult for staff to deliver a product that in my opinion falls significantly short of 5 star quality. As a result, I was actually finding myself making significant allowances for issues experienced. Those were:

1. On day 5, the room next door was having some maintenance work. The reason why I know this is because I was woken up at 10am by loud drilling!

2. On several days, the calming "mood" music by the pool would start around 830 am and was something more like a loud disco. Again, woken up by this on more than one day. Had to ring the reception and get them to turn it down, which they did.

3. On day 8, the room was without hot water. No problem, I can cope with it....had a cold shower! However, that evening, came back to find that the water was still not working. Reception staff were more than happy to sort it and arranged for an engineer to visit within 10 minutes. By this stage, the water was now brown! All sorted by the following day.

4. On or around day 4, I came back to the room to find that the cleaner had accidentally broken part of the glass surround of some Hermes Eau de Toilette. What annoyed me more was that I was not alerted on entering the hotel. Subsequently realised that the bottle was glued and selotaped back together. 100% for effort here but I did convey to staff that I would have appreciated a more upfront approach. The manager on duty was keen to highlight that the accidental damage was reported to the main desk and that the staff were waiting to speak to us. After some heated discussion (more on my part), the hotel offered compensation by providing 2 free meals and subsequently offered to replace the product. I declined both offers, attempting to highlight that I would have been preferred to have been alerted to the damage sooner rather than later. I fully appreciate that accidents do happen, even the cleaner in question apologised the day after. But for me, I was on holiday and just did not want the hassle. What I will say is that the hotel kindly provided a free night at the hotel and also 2 free spa treatments.

5. On day 9, the room updating to rooms on either side recommenced. However, this time, we were alerted to this in writing and that the work would not commence until 11am. Thank you!!! This gave us time to get out of the room BEFORE the noise started. I appreciate that there is likely to be no "ideal" time to take a room out of service BUT this was peak season and a busy week!

6. Aircon unit noisy and smelly. Very difficult to get a comfortable temperature.

This, perhaps, is one of the most explicit reviews I have written on Trip Advisor. This is partly due to the fact that I have tried to convey an honest viewpoint. I guess the lesson I have learned is that paying high prices does not necessarily result in a top notch product.

Go and see for yourself.....you may like it. Unfortunately, I really cannot recommend this hotel and would not plan a subsequent trip. Sorry D2.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with a pool view. Otherwise, you may find that you are walking right do...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I just arrived at the Dusit today for a two night stay. I selected this property based on the reviews I read onTripadvisor and I am NOT disappointed. The Hotel is only three years old so it's in great condition. I booked a deluxe room and it is soooo nice. Very modern, spacious and clean. I could not ask for more. The pool area is amazing if you want to relax away from the beach and the crowds. The location is also excellent. Within a short walk to everything including the beach. The staff could not be more helpful and polite. Definitely 5 stars in my book.Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed here a couple of years ago and generally liked it. I decided to give it another try this year because I like its location. They were offering a rate that includes breakfast which was a decent value. Breakfast was good with a nice variety of things.

The staff are very nice and go out of their way to be helpful. Unfortunately the place is no aging well. The carpet in the elevators is filthy. Who puts carpet in an elevator anyway?

But the real problem was the room. The furnishings are looking very worn. The white desk chairs especially need replacing. It is also true as mentioned in other reviews that the layout of the room is odd with the bed in the middle with a kind of wrap-around round headboard. The first room I had was very dirty. The air intake for the a/c was caked in dirt as was the exhaust fan over the toilet. I am very sensitive to mold and was basically sneezing and stuffy from the minute I entered the room. Ultimately I went to the front desk to talk to the duty manager. I showed her the dirty room and noted the odd smell. She immediately asked me to pack my things as they would find me another room. Shortly I was moved a few doors down. Initially the second room did seem cleaner and did not smell bad. As my stay wore on though it did start to smell a bit musty. I think it is a big challenge in this climate to keep things clean and mold-free. Having exterior corridors doesn't help.

Ultimately I think this place needs a very thorough top to bottom cleaning, and potentially a total make over. There are better options at lower prices.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Park City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Great location,quick walk to everything,staff was great, well trained and went out of their way to help. The common areas are sleek and comfortable,especilay the pool whish had great loung chairs and day beds My only concern was that they tried to hard to make this a design hotel, with the function of the rooms suffering because of this.Number one rule in design; Form Follows Function. With this said the rooms a very poorly laid out. No side tables,alarm clock,storage or closet space.
The tip off to the room should have been when I entered, they have the Fashion channel playing, Models in outfits that you would never see in public, because they are so absurd and uncomfortable. They also had some liquid air freshener that was heated and produced the most god awfull aroma,almost imposible to breath. That describes the room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bangkok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Overall is a nice boutique hotel and I enjoyed my stayed but what kills it is as it is suppose to be part of the Wine and Dine Club program thus entitle members to dining discount but my card is not honoured at breakfast. Reason given is that breakfast is already at a discounted price.
The breakfast is stated discounted at 450 Baht from the usual 850 Baht. From the food served is reasonable to charge a normal price of 450 but who are there kidding to say is 850 Baht?
Even dusit Thani breakfast is only 700 Baht. There no mentioned that they wont accept the card before i dine or when i check in ( I checked in using wine and dine comp night which been accepted but not for my meals?) another bizarre which i do not understand.

So please have a look in your affiliation, before you pissed off more people.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ATL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We spent a wonderful 4 night stay at this hotel. The location is perfect and a quick walk to the beach and the famous Walking Street. Breakfast in the morning had an excellent selection including made to order eggs and pancakes. We were warmly welcomed by the host every morning, and the staff throughout the hotel. The pool area was very nice as well. We had a great stay and would recommend the hotel to folks looking for a value vacation in a nice facility. PS- We would highly recommend the Sawana massage facility a few doors down for some good and inexpensive massages.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Male
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night en route to my final destination. I checked in way earlier than the standard check-in time but was not charged for early check-in. I love the life style concept of the hotel. From the design of the lobby to the bed room interior and the bed itself is just great. Its a really cool hotel. It is also in the heart of Pattaya's happening area, close to shops, restaurants and walking distance to Walking Street. The only thing I would suggest to improve is the breakfast choices. The pastries I found was too cold and hard. Pool has fungus on the bottom, perhaps need extra attention on cleanliness of the main pool. Overall it was a great experience and I would love to go back and I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: All rooms are in a quiet location. No worries about getting a good sleep
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo