“Atlantis Resort and Spa” 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Frankfurt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

We have been coming to Koh Samui for over a decade now every year, and were going to return to the Imperial Boathouse in Choen Mon, for a fifth time, when we stumbled over this place on the internet! We will definitely come back in 2010!! We stayed 3 weeks and enjoyed it very much. The resort is tastefully arranged, in lovely green garden and the rooms are very nice! This is Thailand, and sometimes service deserves forebearance! But the manager is always there to ensure you feel at home! Choen Mon beach to your right down the road 8 minute walk. Chaweng by courteousy shuttle every hour from 14-23 hrs!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

We stayed at Atlantis in school holiday time, and therefore the pool was very crowded with children for most of the time, which did spoil our enjoyment of the pool. However, the views from our room (beachfront villa) were excellent and the rooms were lovely. The bed was very hard, which made it hard on our backs. The bathroom could have been cleaner. There should be a soap dish and shelf for shampoos etc. plus I feel a timber slat should be placed over the pebbles in the shower so that you don't hurt your feet on the uneven surface. It was hot in the shower/toilet area, but no so hot that you had to have a shower as suggested in another review. (Mind you, we are from Queensland and used to heat). There was a shuttle to Chaweng from 2.00 p.m. every hour until 11.00 p.m. When we were waiting in Chaweng and our shuttle didn't arrive one and we had to get a taxi back to the resort, the reception happily reimbursed us the fare without question. I would say the staff were very accommodaiting, giving us an extra bed on request at no extra charge. When we arrived we were 2 hand towels short, which were promptly delivered upon request. We also asked for milk which was delivered within 5 minutes. There may be a language barrier, but once the staff understand they are more than happy to meet your request. Yes, there were several children using the internet which made it difficult, but we found that if you asked the staff, they would let you know when a computer was free. Overall we felt it was a lovely secluded spot. We had the opportunity to visit 5 other resorts, as our relatives were staying at them, and we felt we had the best spot of the lot. The other resorts were Nora Chaweng Hotel, Nora Beach Resort and Spa, Samui Natien Resort, Baan Samui Resort and Kandaburi Resort. None had individual villas of the standard we had, nor the privacy and seclusion. We would stay again, but not in school holiday time.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Buckinghamshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

We have just returned from staying here, and it was superb! They only have 30 rooms- all the same, but some beachfront, some seaview and some garden villas. Opt for the best you can afford (always deals to be made). The location of the beachfront and seview villas are the best. Two housemaid services per day- the turn-down bringing a treat if you are in either seaview or beachfront!

The hospitality is notably brilliant- the owners are wonderfully welcoming and the atmosphere is characterful, but relaxed, warm and friendly. The food is average, the cocktails below, but that is easily forgiven considering the fabulous rooms, pool and beach. Breakfast is good though! And there's an excellent pool bar in a very nice split level swimming pool (where you can even jump from top to bottom!). Kids welcomed there and towels always out.

Yes, the sea is a little rocky, but you can find your way and easily float around- you won't want any more, it's too hot! It's on the doorstep and very private and peaceful- lovely. They are even working on the rocks! The spa offers 'Magnolia spa' treatments, with a good range.

Amazingly good bus service into town 2-11pm and back on the half hours and to anywhere local free of charge too. Not many hotels do this or transfer to the airport so it's a nice service. We would go back for sure. Loved it!

Recommended- get in quick, they are very popular by the looks of it!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

We decided to choose this resort because it had only one review and it was very positive.
We were very disappointed when we arrived there. I would definitely not compare it with Le Meridien etc. And I'm not a lover of such kind of resorts as Le Meridien.
First of all. The stuff is VERY unexperienced. You just feel it everywhere. On the reception they were just rude by check-in. When we moved in to the bungalow there were no towels. So I called to the reception. They didn't believe me we didn't have ANY towels in the room so they wanted to check first if it was true. When it was checked we got only 2 small towels for hands. I had to call again. Just imagine it - we just arrived from the long flight, we want to relax and take a shower....forget it. One more point. The bungalows are very interesting designed: the bathroom is like outside in the jungle. It is extremely hot inside. So when you go to the toilet you have to take a shower again. Also I didn't feel it was clean place. I understood in 1 evening that I'm not an exbitionist. All walls of the bungalow are from glass. It is tinted, but it doesn't help in the evening. I just didn't feel me comfortable and relaxed in this resort.
It has no beach, the only swimming pool is smaller than what I have at home.Poor food in the restaurant in the morning and in the evening. We decided to leave this hotel next day early in the morning so we moved to the nearby Q Signature. The general manager of Atlantis (I'm not sure if it is a new management, because it was very old man) tried to charge us 2 nights, and we staid only 1...but after hard discussions - we won.
I'm happy we took directly a good decision and change the hotel. Because the rooms are nice decorated I would give this hotel only 3*.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
jimSamui, manager at Atlantis Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2009
I am the general manager of Atlantis resort which has been just opened in February 2009.
First at all, I apologized for any convenience happened to you during your stay at our resort and I respect your point of view. We took customer’s comments seriously and we are in a process of service improvement at all time.
However, I would like to correct inappropriate information that you mentioned above.
Regarding reception staff, none of the reception staff are inexperienced as they are chosen from other four star hotel and resort nearby. Our chef also comes from a five star hotel which has one of the most famous restaurant in Samui.
Regarding bungalow’s design, most of four and five star resorts in the island have outside Thai style shower and bathroom. We have an outside look-alike bathroom. So, if you like an air-conditioned bathroom , most probably Thai style resort will not be the one for you to stay. You should choose a building hotel and not Thai style resort.
Finally, you have mentioned that the size of the only swimming pool in our resort is smaller than the one in your home. I bless you, but we DO have TWO swimming pools in two levels. One is 18m length x 9m width and the other one is 10m length x 8m width. As far as I know and I visited Belgium before, I did not see any house in Belgium has swimming pool that it is bigger than ours. However, if you do have, as I said before, God bless you. It does not mean our swimming pools are not good enough for our resort.
Regarding the beach, please look at the photos taken and posted by our previous guest as well as our website photo and tell me if it is a beach or not.
I did respect your request for earlier check out although it is high season and hotel policy all over the world including Thailand that for the last moment cancellation, customer pays one extra night. But, again, you refused to pay and I respect you and I did not in any way make a big deal out of it.
By the way, I wonder what have to do with new management and the age of the general manager. For your concern, I am at the age of fifty and almost same as your age.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I hate to post a negative review of this resort for two reasons: The owner seemed like a wonderful, pleasant man who wants this resort to do well. As well, the rooms are fantastically appointed and are VERY affordable for how they are designed and laid out.

The problem with Atlantis during our stay was the service. It sounds simple, but at every turn, something was dissappointing. Here are examples:

-Staff look miserable, everywhere. No one is smiling in this "Land of Smiles" resort. Very far from the typical Thai tourism pleasantries.
-There are pots of garbage with toads living in them. I can't tell if this was intentional, but it shouldn't be.
-Our room had a fan with a mind of it's own. I had a remote, but in the middle of the night it would beep and do what it wanted.
-They give you a number for room service but no menu.
-On check-in we were given welcome drinks. But before having a chance to take a sip, within seconds, all of the paper work was in front of me. My wife didn't have a chance to drink her welcome drink before we were shuttled out. This speed at which my pre-payment was taken differed from the average lack of attentiveness at the resort.
-The three computers were constantly occupied by small children (some resort-related family members) playing video games. It got to the point where we had to ask the front-desk people to make a computer accessable because we hadn't been able to use the machines during our stay for normal travel usage.
-I had to engage in 20 minutes of exchange with the front desk about whether and where Muay Thai was taking place on the island. During this time, they lied about it not taking place and lied about when and where it did. These were not oversights as they had purported to call around. Had it not been for our assertiveness to go to town on a night they said no Muay Thai was occuring, we would have missed out on this experience altogether. I don't know how else to say this: It seemed they wanted to take us to a particular stadium for a reason I still can't resolve.
-Fireworks were shot off by someone outside our room at 12:30am. This didn't appear to bother anyone at the hotel. The rooms are not sound-resistant at all, so this was not possible to ignore.
-Fresh towels and large garbage bags for the next people coming to our room were stacked at our door the morning we were set to depart, as if to pressure us to leave. Nevermind that we were supposed to be offered late check-out until 3p.m.
-The voucher system for our inclusions in our package was archaic, and rudely insisted upon when we had forgetten them.
-Morning breakfast was nice overall but had croissants FILLED with ants. Yum.
-While we did get a complimentary ride to Chaweng once, that was not typical. Another time we wanted to go in (at the scheduled "shuttle" time), after 10 minutes of waiting, they told us they would "call a taxi in 5 minutes". We got a taxi at the local pharmacy instead, out of frustration. That didn't bother the front desk. Don't bother waiting for the scheduled shuttle at Chaweng, either. We didn't see it operating if it did. This is not good, given the remote location. Expect to pay 300 Baht each way to go to and from town.
-There seemed to be a decent spa set-up, but the workers seemed to be sourced from a spa we saw in town (Magnolia). The massage beds were on the floor, the norm for Thailand, but not particularly luxurious in any way given that Atlantis has its own space to use for its guests.
-The wait for drinks at the pool bar took so long, one woman had to leave for her massage before her drink arrived.
-Etc., etc., etc.

Despite the various weaknesses, I looked around on the last day of our stay and said "Maybe I'm being too hard on this place. I mean the pool is nice looking, and the rooms are fantastic. Maybe I should be overlooking some of the service issues here". Then on check-out the front-desk girl tried to charge me for a ride to the pier. The problem? The ride to the pier was included in our package. When I told the front-desk lady that, she said that the other pier (further away) or airport was included, but not our pier. So many potential responses, but my chosen and measured response was to ask if she wanted to see our package reservation which said the transfer to the pier was included. Surprisingly (or not), she said yes. So, I dug the package description out of our packed luggage. Sure enough, round-trip transfers from "Airport/pier" were included. The bullish woman's response? "Oh, my mistake"

Yes, your mistake indeed. Trying to rip-me off for 300 Baht on check-out was the last mistake I needed to be happy to leave and give Atlantis 1/5 stars.

I can only hope that the owner finds new on-site management, and makes Atlantis the resort that it could be. If some of these problems are because the resort is new, many others are not.

I should note that the restaurant food was decent (aside from the croissants) and service good. I can't fault those hard-working people who shouldn't be grouped in with my previous comments.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Atlantis Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!