Barefoot Luxury ocean view pool villa in Bophut

Reviews from our community

Reviews from our community

rich5wolv...
Wolverhampton, UK
“Barefoot Luxury - But we initially needed sandals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 for a stay in October 2013
people found this review helpful

Having travelled around the world and stayed in many Hotels and private residences I am well versed in being able to judge a private villa.

One of the main factors is always location. High up in the hills on an island off the coast of Thailand will always differ from a more centrally located 5 star hotel in several ways.
For example if the internet is cut off on the main road, it will effect the surrounding hills properties. If there is a problem with water or a power line goes down, expect to be with out it for a day or two. But this is not Central London afterall and can be part of the charm.
We were without water for overall around a day and a half due to a generator burning out. The internet went down for a day or so. We were there for 12 days however and unless you are a completely unreasonable traveller who is not used to the way things can be, I would not grade this property down because of this.

I would however mention that there were a few minor things which I cant blame on location that needed to be addressed. The light bulbs in the pool had all gone, all the sala light bulbs were blown also, the infinity pool was not running and the fountain was also not functioning. There were two air conditioning units in the large main lounge but only one blew cold.

Over the next few days these were all addressed and put right (apart from the fountain which is purely cosmetic and air conditioning unit) but you could not help thinking that some of it could have been ironed out before our arrival.

Other small things Id mention which makes the difference in my view between a 4 star and 5 would be the two elephant statues around the pool were broken, one had 3.5 legs and proped up by the pillar of the sala, and one of the pool chairs has a cover to give you shade but it was broken.

Bathwater - there is a large bath in the master bedroom. For the whole stay the water was discoloured when you run the bath. This again is a factor you come across living in the hills on an Island and it was clear that silt was effecting the water colour. Again I cannot down mark the villa because of it and this is something that is no doubt common in the hills all over Samui.

The cats - they deserve their own special mention. The cutest family of cats I have ever seen were living around the area. They were as timid and as wild as you can get. I took to feeding them a bit and would even buy them bottles of milk from the store. By the end of the trip I was able to stroke them etc.......... and they really were tame. I would have taken them back to the uk if I could. Loved them.

The Neighbours - Half way through our stay we had some neighbours move into the villa directly next door and slightly above the villa. The villa is run and owned by the same people as Baan Sai Tan. It is called Villa Kya and looks very nice by the way.
Unfortunately for us, being on our honeymoon, the neighbours decided to wake us up early one morning with nightclub style music. This was not that bad as we could have done with getting up early. However the next night this night club style music with full on base, was also going on till 6am. It was impossible to sleep as the room was shaking. We pretty much wasted the next day and night as we were zombiefied.

With all problems, its how it is dealt with that is important and the villa manger Jeab was fantastic in ensuring it did not happen again which was really apprciated by us both.

Anyway back to the review - so far I have mentioned some isses with the villa which would make it sound like we were unhappy. But this is not true. It would be unfair of me to say everything was perfect but equally unfair for me not to mention all the fantastic elements of the villa.

Firstly in response to the water issue we encountered I was called by the owner of the villa and given a free in villa meal which was amazing, and a free double massage for us both. This was a very nice gesture and certainly worked in helping to forget any issues. I remarked after the hour long Thai massage, I hope the water goes off again and we get another one.

The view from the swimming pool was great and you could see panoramic views of the ocean. The fact the place is in the hills and off the main road was a good thing in my opinion. We hired a car which made the whole thing great as we could come and go as we pleased.

We were asked everyday by the villa manager if everything was ok and any issues we had were addressed. Everything was run efficiently during our stay. The security guy is a very nice bloke who is always on hand.

The bedroom was always kept clean and tidy and the bed linnen and towels the same.

I am giving this villa 4 out of 5. If the villa felt ready for when we moved in and the issues over the first few days had been ironed out previously I would have no hesitation in giving it 5. I understand in any such villa in this kind of location things are never going to run as clockwork all the time but we both commented it seemed that certain things were probably great once but now need tweaking, ie. broken elephants, sun bed, air conditioning unit, fountain by steps etc..........

Would I reccomment this place, yes I would. The pool area was fabulous, especially when lit up at night. I would also add that the rate I paid for the villa was well worth our stay. Granted I would be interested in staying at the villa next door, villa kya next time as it is a higher end villa but I would definately stay at this villa again without hesitation and hope to do so in the future.

Thanks to all at Villa Baan Sai Tan for a great stay!

Tip: Hire a car. Using the villa taxi is very expensive. My tip would be hire one from the airport. It costs around 800bht a day with optional insurance but is well worth it giving you freedom to explore this amazing island.

5 of 5 stars How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 3 of 5 stars Overall condition of the property
5 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 4 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
4 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 4 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: The panormaic views
Liked least: The brown bathwater
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Honk Kong
$350
Night
Week
Month
Additional fees may be applied by owner
Make Inquiry
this property has payment protection
Owner
Response Time: Within a day
Calendar Updated: 1 day ago
Peace of Mind Protection
Learn more
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing