“Diving with the Diving Academy Koh Samui” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 208 Activities in Ko Samui
5.0 of 5 stars 277 Reviews
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: The Dive Academy is an English owned and managed PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Centre based at Bandara Resort in Bophut and Centara Villas in Laem Set on the island of Koh Samui, Thailand. We offer the full range of PADI Diving courses, dive tours for certified divers as well as VIP snorkeling tours. We have been on Samui since 2002 so have the experience and knowledge to make the most of your diving & snorkeling around Samui. Being the highest ranking PADI dive centre on the island means you can be assured that your experience will be professional, safe, calm, yet passionate and fun, delivering the highest levels of customer service. Internet forums such as Trip Advisor provide a great feedback tool for customers, however please also always check out the company website, whether the company is registered with a diving organisation such as PADI and are operating legally within the laws of that country which require them to have licenses and insurance in order to offer diving services to tourists. If you are able to do so, visit the dive centre first to check out the facilities and staff. Unfortunately internet forums do not always represent the full picture as people can assume that good reviews mean everything else is in place - and you want to ensure you stay safe as well as have a good time!
Thurso, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Diving with the Diving Academy Koh Samui”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Did 12 dives with the Dive Academy during the 2 weeks I was in Koh Samui. I checked with them via e mail before I arrived and the information back was very helpful and prompt. Met with Claire when I arrived at the Bandara. . I was just after some fun diving and she explained the set up. Pick up would be from reception at 0730 and we would be either going to Sail Rock or Koh Tao depending on what day it was. I had my own equipment but I had a look at their equipment, which you can hire, and it all looked in good condition. They were also doing courses and the people I spoke to were all delighted with the training they were receiving. Although we obviously went to the same area the people doing the courses were dropped off at one site and the fun divers were taken to another area to have our own dive. Most of the dives I had were guided by Paul who has a great sense of humour, although I did feel sorry for Nick who is starting as a DMT. I'm sure he will come out of it at the other end. He just has to learn when Paul is kidding.
Briefings were fun and the dives were only limited by air consumption rather than a fixed time. On the boat you are encouraged to drink plenty of fluids due to the heat. If going to Koh Tao the food was a massaman type curry with plenty of it. On going to Sail Rock which is a shorter day sandwiches were provided.
Water temperature was fine at 29 degrees and visibility ranged between 20 metres and 3 meters depending on sea conditions.
Prices include transfers, equipment, food and all soft drinks.
I have over 200 dives and this is one of the better companies I have dived with. I would certainly recommend them for someone doing fun diving. Also based on what I saw with the courses they were running I would suggest giving them a try if you wanted to either start your diving experience or continue your training.

Visited October 2013
PaulonSamui, Owner at The Dive Academy, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for the positive review Brian.
Although we appreciate all of our review's it is especially welcome when we receive a good review from experienced diver's such as yourself who have alot of previous experience to compare us against and can judge what are good standards and levels of service. Thanks for recognising the efforts we put in to get things right!!
Also Nick is coming along nicely and he is now giving as good as he gets!!

Farnham, United Kingdom
“Great place and people to learn to dive with”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I spent some of our honeymoon at the Bandara in Koh Samui in September and were already planning on doing a Padi Open Water course so were really pleased that there was a dive school based right at our hotel.
I was very nervous about diving so one of the instructors suggested we just book on the Scuba course which we did and extend this to an Open water later on if we enjoyed the experience. Our instructor Marco could not have been more patient with us, especially me on my numerous attempts to give up whilst just in the pool. Once I got the hang of breathing through my mouth only I was much calmer and enjoyed the experience so much more.
We both thoroughly enjoyed our second day out at sea, even with the rough seas. All the instructors were so helpful with everyone on the boat. The lunch we were given was great. And the locations we were taken to were fab.
I would thoroughly recommend The Dive Academy to anyone going to Koh Samui, even if you are on the other side of the island. The staff are very professional yet very relaxed and fun to be around. Massive thanks to Marco for being a very calm and fun instructor and giving us a great introduction to diving.

Visited September 2013
PaulonSamui, Owner at The Dive Academy, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Thank you Carissa for taking the time to write a review about yours and Adrian's experience with The Dive Academy. One of the things that differentiates us over other dive schools is that all of our staff completed their professional training with The Dive Academy. So we know that all of our customers will receive the highest level of quality training in a professional way whilst being fun and safe! Congratulations again on your Scuba Diver certification and we hope you go on to the next stage and become Open Water divers!
Xiamen, China
“No need to look further than the Dive Acadamy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

A superb blend of professionalism and a relaxed training approach, so if you are considering taking a PADI course, or just fun diving, whilst in Koh Samui then look no further than the Dive Acadamy. The equipment was in good condition, the boats were not crowded at all, the food and drinks supplied was excellent, the dive sites amazing. I am sure all the staff have been to the dives sites 100's of times before but this did not show at all, totally enthusiastic about every dive and ensured their customers enjoyed fully the experience. I took and passed the Open Water Course whilst there and Claire was a top class instructor with Paul offering regular and welcome encouragement . Great job Dive Acadamy and if I'm in KS again I will be seeing you.

Visited October 2013
Hi Paul, thank you for taking time to write a review.
We at The Dive Academy love what we do and we are happy that our enthusiasm and enjoyment were evident while we were teaching you. It also helps us when we have students like yourself who are also very keen to learn. Keep up the enthusiasm and you know where we are if we can help with your diving in the future
Regards
The Dive Academy Crew
London, United Kingdom
“First dive in 23 years!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Whilst holidaying in Koh Samui with my daughter, her prime concern was to go diving so off we went to The Dive Academy to make a booking. I hadn't done any diving in 23 years though for some bizarre reason I took my Padi book with me and after a little pressure from my daughter I was persuaded to give it another go. Feeling somewhat nervous after such a long time I booked a refresher in the pool first where as they say 'it all came flooding back' and the next day, off we went to Sail Rock together for two fantastic dives. Paul looked after me (and my nerves) fantastically and I cannot recommend The Dive Academy highly enough for their professional approach, concern and good humour. It was a memorable day's diving for me, and I got the photos to prove it! Thank you all! I'll try not to leave it so long next time!

Visited September 2013
Hi Janet, thanks for the review.
It was a pleasure getting you back into the water after such a long time and we are very happy that you not only got through the experience but that you actually enjoyed it too!!
We hope you get a chance very soon to dive again rather than wait another 23 years.
Regards
The Dive Academy Crew
Australia
“Great People and Extremely Professional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

While in Koh Samui for 2 weeks I decided to do my open water. I enjoyed the experience so much and the staff were extremely professional I decided to do my open water advanced which was equally enjoyable and professional.

I highly recommend The Dive Academy to anyone so when in Koh Samui do yourself a favour and go see Claire, Paul or any of the helpful staff you wont be disappointed.

Visited September 2013
Thank you Michael for taking the time to write a review about your experience with The Dive Academy. We're really pleased that you loved your Open Water course so much that you continued on to become an Advanced diver and that we as a team were able to meet all of your expectations. Maybe see you back here for some fun diving next time - or maybe your Rescue course!