Boyfriend and I stayed here for 8 nights over our April vacation, room was large and clean (we had a 4th floor superior sea view) it had lovely views of the water and was quite quiet despite being located off the main road through Lamai. I reckon that these rooms are the nicest view wise even better than the villas which have no pools and no views as they are all blocked in by shrubs and not really that private. Room was cleaned daily and the beds were soft enough for comfort (I am very picky about soft beds) the bathroom was nice but weirdly there were no face cloths provided and the floor towel did nothing to prevent it from turning into a slippery lake after each shower... There was decent water pressure but temperature did tend to change drastically from scalding hot to cool... never cold. Wifi worked well all the time and the a/c did the trick but they never replenished our drinking water supply at all during our stay and constantly left our "garbage" (empty bottles and chip bags etc) in the room but did make up the beds and change the towels over.
We ate at the restaurant, once for snack and once for dinner... Certainly over priced, and not that great. My boyfriend enjoyed his green curry dinner, but everything else was really just o.k (tuna salad, spring rolls, paneng curry, shrimp soup, pork ribs, shrimp cakes). On the plus side the breakfast buffet is WONDERFUL fresh egg station, thai goodies, fruit bar, cereal bar, variety of meats, salad bar, pastry bar, yogurts, coffees etc.. If you can't find something good to start your day here you are far too picky! They do a great job. Also the Mojitos at the beach bar are some of the best I tried in Thailand.. Certainly worth the extra money for a treat now and then.
Some things to keep in mind...
Our deal was supposed to include airport transfers - they weren't there to pick us up when we arrived and we ended up taking a cab out (which the driver tried to rip us off changing the agreed upon price at arrival) despite having contacted them 3 times to confirm our arrival time they still were not there. I provided the emails as proof that we did our part and they informed me that this hotel has 3 different email addresses and I had apparently not been using the correct one... Despite the fact that it was the same one associated with our reservation!!?? At the end of the day they made it up to us by giving us a free ride out to Bophut which was appreciated and getting back to the airport was no problem.
Our "deal" also included a couples massage, drinks on arrival and a food voucher but at the end of it all there was no deal all of these expenses were added into the price of the room at NO DISCOUNT! next time I would only pay for the room and get everything else at a much reduced rate elsewhere.
The pool was nice and refreshing, the beach really is not swimming friendly it is very shallow and rocky making for incredibly hot water. But the view is great and there are plenty of beach lounge and beds available to use.
Overall it was a pleasant stay, close enough for us to walk into Lamais busy street (maybe 20min) and really close to some great thai food. There is Sabingales right up the street with a huge menu, seating right on the water and wonderful food, we ate there 3 times! Also the thai place on the corner (walk right out of the hotel up to the first corner) was also really really good. There is a pork noodle place smooshed between the family mart and 7-11 that is also fantastic at about $1.50/bowl best I had in Thailand!! The BIRD laundry right across the street did all of our laundry for dirt cheap (do not get it done at the hotel as they charge about a dollar an item) and hooked us up with great scooters for 200 baht a day.
Overall we really liked the Fenix and would probably stay again. A bit more expensive than other places for sure, but we really enjoyed Lamai's laid back feel and the quality of the rooms at the hotel was quite enjoyable.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Samui Fenix Hotel
- Mercure Samui Fenix Hotel Koh Samui
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As you set your internal compass resolutely to the south of the island, you will find Fenix Beach Resort, Samui, an exclusive retreat set on a privileged location on the beachfront of Lamai with a panoramic and breathtaking view of the Gulf of Thailand. It is an Eden where the air is fresh and crisp and the landscape overflowing with well manicured tropical gardens. This is a private beach resort that is not only enchanting but also breathtakingly beautiful. Blending seamlessly with nature's beauty, green is the dominant color of the landscape coupled with the simplicity of contemporary convenience. Personal with an extra dose of privacy, the rooms and villas exude warm natural hues while the variety of services and facilities will complete a fun-filled stay. Facilities include a generous swimming pool set against the backdrop of the turquoise seas, a restaurant and beach bar, an outdoor Thai massage sala, a meeting room, an indoor fitness room and complimentary shuttle trips to the centre of Lamai. A mixture of unique cultural experiences, undreamed visual images and exotic tropical recreation will all combine to form lasting vivid memories of a perfect vacation. Songkran which is celebrated in Thailand from 13th - 15th April is the traditional New Year's Day. The most obvious celebration of Songkran is the throwing of water upon others. Come and celebrate this season by staying with us as we offer something special to our guests who book the Songkran Sensation Promotion, Rates starting from THB 2,341++ per night ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tingo, Expedia, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Fenix Beach Resort Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.