“Overall okay... Ruined by management” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lucky Mother Bungalow

You added Lucky Mother Bungalow to your Saves list
Lucky Mother Bungalow
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   60 Moo 2, Chaweng Beach Rd | Bo Phut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #74 of 250 Ko Samui B&B and Inns
Australia
“Overall okay... Ruined by management”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Right on the beach, very close to all the popular bars like green mango and ark bar is four properties away. I stayed low season so room was far enough away from these party areas to still be able to sleep however this might not be the case. Don't get street noise so those annoying advertising cars won't keep you awake. Overall a nice stay and would come back again purely on the location.

One negative (big negative too) was there were two sisters running the bungalow. Slim sister was lovely and helpful. the overweight sister was extremely rude for lack of a better word. She ruined the end of my holiday..... Had a yelling fit with her and then I thanked her another day for helping me and she just grunted. If lucky mother reads this post---- seriously get rid of this manager as she is bringing down the business and ruining people's holidays... A number of people have noted this

People complained about cats sitting on tables but I didn't eat nor did anyone else at the bungalow tables so I don't know why people complain so much. Cats and dogs didnt bother me at all... Animals are a normal part of Thailand and people need to stop complaining for the sake of complaining.

• Stayed September 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
cobourg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a week and the location is great. It's so close to the shops and restaurants and is right in the beach. That pretty much sums up all the positive about this place. We stayed in the large building at the back of the property. The first couple if nights I didn't notice anything but after that, every morning when I would wake up there were literally DOZENS of bed bugs crawling around our bed. At first there was just one or two and then there were so many I thought I was going to throw up.
Next, there is only Internet available in the "reception" area. In order to get to the reception area you have to first walk down the brick pathway (fine) and then across the 10x10 massive litter box where all of the various pets pee and poo every day. It smells like a litterbox- even though housekeeping sweeps the disturbed sand back into place after families and backpackers have walked through I did not once see them clean up / pick up and of the "clumps" that were there.

The Mosquitos are a hazard in reception, and the only fans available are for the Thai women / the owners. People spraying off liberally every hour. My husband was bit here and later contracted dengue fever an had to be admitted to the hospital.

Animals are literally laying on top of each other- on day six my husband and I saw two cats we had never seen before. The cats fight and chase each other on and bi hourly basis through reception and lay on top of the tables where people eat. I would say there are probably 15 cats there on a daily basis (conservatively), and more realistically, 20.

I don't know if our room was the only one with bed bugs but I have no idea how people can stay there. I get shivers just thinking about it. We left this place five days earlier than we planned thank god.

The staff have major mood swings and are crazy- happy one minute, yelling the next, then singing at the tips of their lungs at 10am.

Great location but stay next door at Montien House for similar price range of our room or hotel beside motorbike rental shop just down the lane from this place.

• Stayed August 2013
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stay here every time I go to Samui the owner P´Tang is an absolute gent, great value smart rooms. Great food, great cocktails and all right on the beach. If you go try the Mojitos they are excellent! the rooms nearer the beach are recently redecorated but the place is well kept and spotless. It also 5 minute walk to all the action but still quiet in the rooms which is great. I send everyone I know here. P´Tang the owner is also a great source of information on anything Samui.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

After arriving in chaweng with no accommodation booked we wandered around assessing approx 10-15 hotels, we soon discovered Lucky Mother was by far the best value for money hotel right on the beach. We first visited in July 2011 and have since been back in August 2012 and April 2013.

In the early afternoon they set up a bar on the beach which is run by some very friendly staff (ask for Tong) who make the best 100 baht cocktails until just after midnight. The place is very relaxed with good tunes, and amazing sand sculptures.

The receptionists can be a little unhelpful at times, but the rooms are very well priced.

Pro's - cheap, right on the beach, 2-3 minute walk to main strip of restaurants and clubs, bar staff very friendly, laundry service available

Con's - there are a few cats roaming around, no swimming pool (but you are right on the beach anyway!)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Lucky Mother is located off the lively, if somewhat tacky main Chewang high street, but tucked around a couple of corners, far away enough to be a very peaceful environment.

The clean bungalow complex is set right up to the beach which offers great views, a shallow swimming area and lots of good bars within close walking distance.

The bungalows are clean and reasonably priced, given the wonderful location.

Ideally, Lucky Mother could be a wonderful place to stay but, my fiancee and I found there to be an unpleasant atmosphere amongst the staff. Some were lovely, but most were quite unfriendly and downright rude at times.

We left a day early, because we just couldn't relax on the complex and found ourselves trying to stay off site as much as possible.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Terrible people, amazing location, average rooms.

I rung up 4 days before arrival to see if I could change my arrival date and departure date to one day later and I was told no. On arrival I was greeted by an unfriendly female youth on the "reception" desk telling me no changes allowed. I booked another night and took the hit for the night I lost.

They don't like anyone who has booked on-line for a cheaper rate and should remove themselves from on-line sites. They have walk-in trade all day, due to the location and sell the rooms for twice what I paid. They need to concentrate on their service and cleanliness and they will realise the little gold mine they are sitting on.

The guys at the bar seem charming - but I saw them turn on a guest. The reception closes at night and allows the bar to be in charge. A guest wanted to swap rooms because apparently his mattress smelt. All 3 bar men rounded up on him, really aggressively and told him, "you don't get a mattress in prison over here." Prison? I thought we were on holiday!

The rooms were okay, basic, but they were all I needed and right they are near the beach - so I was happy. However, bring mosquito and flea repellent.

There are cats and dogs everywhere around the reception we counted 14. They're not quiet and they don't look overly clean.

A really aggressive, miserable bunch run this place and it's a shame - because in the right hands it could be amazing.

• Stayed February 2013
Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Lucky Mother is in a great spot, easy to get to all the attractions' Ark bar, Green Mango, its right in the heart of Chaweng. The accomodation is decent enough, the rooms are all new.
They a laundry service as well as an area for massages.
The bar area is great thanks to TONG the Chief Barman, who makes the best Mojitos in Thailand and spins some wicked tunez. Lost count of how many MojitosI had lol... They also have a place where you smoke a hooka pipe. Pok one of the chaps that works there, makes some amazing sand sculptures which are well worth looking at, drop him a some bhats next to his sculptures they are well worth it, great place to unwind and have a cocktail, whilst walking along the beach, they often have happy hours, there seems to be a good mixture of all nationalities here. Great place to meet fellow travellers and and share stories party with etc.
have fun...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Lucky Mother Bungalow? Share your experiences!