“Out of this world experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa

You added Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   49/8-9 Moo 4, Hillcrest Road | overlooking Aow Thai Beach, Taling-Ngam, Ko Samui 84140, Thailand   |
Ranked #12 of 312 Hotels in Ko Samui
Europe
“Out of this world experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed here for a few days in September 2013, and whole experience was very unique and mind blowing. Conrad KS is located on the top of the hill, and you arrive on a very steep road... arrival area is the first place, you will see (well, after parking) and we arrived at 10.20am (check in is actually at 3pm), but had to wait only for 40 minutes, until our villa was ready. Service throughout our stay was impeccable, all smiles, all the staff very polite and professional, never had a single event to complain about it. Also, breakfast very good, with plenty of choices, especially smoothies are out of this world exceptionally good. Whole property is just stunning, not easily walk-able, but they have buggy system in place, so you can drive to wherever you want to go. Villas are stunning, especially patio and infinity pool are incredible and worth every penny. Internet speed could be a bit faster from time to time, but this is actually my only remark. Best Conrad I have stayed in, and I have stayed in a few so far...

Room Tip: Try to get at least third level or above...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Mirror74,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your heartfelt review, and I hope to see you return to us soon.

Thanks again for choosing Conrad Koh Samui.

Stefano Ruzza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay with my wife from the Conrad and we are still missing the place.

Situated on the southwestern end of Koh Samui, the Conrad is quite a drive from the airport (about 50 mins). But when you arrive at the reception and into your villa, you will realise it was worth the long drive.

First of all, the Conrad may not be the place to reside in if you are a big fan of the beach and the nightlife on the main stretch of Chaweng.
It's very secluded and needs some transport coordination to get to the main restaurants in the island (at least 30 mins drive time).

Also the beach is mostly a narrow man-made strip of sand. So not for the beach lovers.
However, the resort has a free boat service to the islands nearby which have beautiful natural beaches and snorkelling.

All the accommodations are private villas ranging from 1-3 bedrooms and they are all perched on the hill on very steep slopes. There is plenty of privacy in the villas and they ALL face the ocean directly outwards. So everyone gets a spectacular view without having another guest looking into your villa.

The slopes are very steep as i mentioned and the main form of transport is via the electric buggy which seats 3 guests at a go. Buggies are generally easily available at the call of the concierge. You can also opt to walk and this will really give you a good workout from your villa to the breakfast restaurant and other dining options.

The pool villas are very nicely appointed with all the amenities you require.
WIFI, Mac-mini for video on demand, Cable TV in the bedroom and bathroom.
Well stocked bar and beverage counter.

We loved the huge soak tub which faces the Ocean and it complemented our 10m infinity lap pool in the villa very well. After a splash in the cold saltwater pool, a soak in a hot tub is heavenly.

You can easily spend days lounging by the poolside just taking in the view and reading.

The resort faces the west of Koh Samui so you get to see really spectacular sunsets every clear evening.

In-room dining was a great experience as well. The service was top notch and special mention goes to our staff Ball, Number One, and the Executive Chef, Konrad Inghelram.
We had ordered an in-villa BBQ dinner and just when the staff arrived to set up the tables, it began to rain very heavily. They pulled out all the stops to ensure our dinner went ahead as planned and they moved us from our villa to one of their alternate venues which was a totally unexpected gesture and made it all the more memorable for us. Konrad then personally came to meet us to ensure that everything was up to our expectations. We were really impressed at their passion to make their guests happy.

Some minus points:

The Spa: Prices were a little steep and the facilities were not the best compared to other resorts. But the massage that we had was of a very high standard.

Food prices were high as expected of a five star establishment so expect to pay upwards of USD50 per person for each meal.

The breakfast room Zest was a little small and I can imagine the place to be quite crowded during the peak season. The selection at breakfast may not be as good as some other resorts.

Overall, the Conrad is great place to escape for couples. Excellent service with an attention to details without being intrusive make this the place for a perfect getaway.

Their 2 and 3 bedroom villas also offer great family quiet time and we are looking forward to booking their 2 bedroom villas in future.

Thank you for the wonderful experience. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: we stayed at room 210 which was a short walk to the breakfast area. Lower floor villas are closer to...
Dear Howeyang,

Thank you for your kind review of Conrad Koh Samui. I am pleased to hear your and your wife enjoyed the stay and will let the team and Chef Konrad in particular know they contributed to your Perfect Getaway.

We hope to see you both again soon.

Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Positive: Staffs were very nice and friendly. Negative: Hotel is very far from most sightseeing destinations/restaurants/stores. VERY FAR! Luxury boating was canceled due to weather during my stay which was very disappointing. Toilet was not clean when I checked in. Bath salt was empty for 2 nights. I was charged with a diet coke and 2 evian water when I checked out. (I only drank one evian.) Although they waived the bill, it was unpleasant. The beach is not a beach, very dirty and not ready for customers. I expected much more from a Conrad resort.

Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel located 40km away from the airport and it took us 50 min to go there. It is on the top of the mountain that make you trapped in the resort unless you rent a car. Not recommend motorcycle as the mountain is very very steep.

Checkin was smooth, the view in the main entrance lobby is breath taking. We were amazed by the staffs there who could speak Japanese, Korean, Chinese and English fluently.

We got to our room by "BUGGY" which is basically electrical gold cart. Walking to other facilities like Spa or Jahn restaurant was impossible so we always need the buggy to take us.

The room was spacious just as the hotel photo. The infinite private pool was where we enjoyed the sunrise and sunset everyday.

We tried nearly all food in Conrad, including Jahn, Zest, in villa dining, in villa Barbecue and the pool side restaurant.

Jahn: Fine dining. Pricey. But the food was the best in Conrad. Waiter and waitress all very friendly

Zest: We tried Breakfast plus dinner there. Breakfast was good. Lot of choices. Staffs were very nice. Dinner was nothing very special. Not much choice for authentic thai food which we loved to eat.

In villa dining: Not consistent. Food were sometimes cold. Not recommend

In villa barbecue: Worth a try. Private chef and waiter to serve you at your private poolside. They promise to give us a special moment with lantern on the beach which was cancelled (without notice) due to strong wind. Very disappointed :(

Poolside restaurant: Nothing very special.

We also tried a local restaurant named Green Talay 4km from the resort. 500 baht round trip provided by the hotel. Cheaper than the food in the resort but not very cheap in thai standard. We spent around 1500 baht for two person meal with drink and alcohol.

Spa: The WORST I have ever tried in all the 5 star resort in thailand. Steam room was super small. The lady didn't know how to set the steam and she just leave us and so we have to figure out how to start the steam ourselves. The herb touch was soooo hot that she just directly put on my skin and I screamed. She didn't wash her hands before touching my face and scalp which make me feel very unhygienic. As a 5 star spa which charge so much, I would expect them mind all the details.

I would like to try out sthg next time as Conrad is really too far away from everything.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Kljb,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Conrad Koh Samui experience. I am glad that you enjoyed our spacious pool villa and spectacular view. I am however sincerely concerned about the experiences that you describe with our spa which in this regard wasn’t consistent with our spa normal service offering. Your comments and feedbacks are highly appreciated as they will further assist us to identify areas in which improvements can be implemented.

Whilst I understand that these issues could be significantly impacted upon your enjoyment of the Resort, I hope you will consider a return visit in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I like all the staffs the most. We enjoyed playing sports and talk to them. The private pool was so nice. I just spend a day in the hotel everything is included. 2 nights 1 day was not enough for me there.

• Stayed July 2013
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Pagarz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Conrad Koh Samui experience with us. It’s a joy to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. I have shared your kind words with the team and they are thrilled. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again (longer stay) in the future.

Muenchen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed 4 nights in this hotel.

First of all I have to say that it is a really beautiful hotel with an absolutely stunning view over the gulf of Thailand.

Everthing is there what you'd expect from a 5 star hotel: Big rooms, large bed, spacious sun deck with sliding doors that allow you to enjoy the view.
Bathroom with rain shower, huge bathtub, etc..

So far so perfect

Restaurants:
There are two options avaivable (I do not count the pool area as one, even though you can eat there as well)
Zest: Food is good, nothing to complain about.
However: with the polished marble floor you feel like sitting in waiting area of a train station.
The sound is terrible and did not make me comfortable at all. If weather conditions allow you can sit outside, where that problem is solved.
Nevertheless even outside one can observe another issue. The tables are set up so closely next to each other, that you need to overhear evey word from the neighbouring table, whether you like it or not.
The reason for that seems to be, that in the absence of a real alternative to this place almost every guest ends up eating here and because the space is limited, tables were moved closely together to accomodate enough guests.

The second restaurant is called Jahn.
The general concept is, to deconstruct regular thai dishes into their components and serve the parts either in isolation or in a modified way.
For my taste this worked for some of the courses, for others it didn't. In particular I was dissapointed by the Gaeng Massaman.
No question excellent work, perfect beef, great curry, all there, but no added value. Larb Gai on the other hand for me was great

Now lets talk about the point which I think is the biggest deficit: The service and the communication skills.
Unfortunately it is the case that in the reception area and in Jahn you'd almost every time encounter personnel fluent in english, whereas in all other aereas (telephone, Zest, Housekeeping,..) it seems more like a lottery to be understood or not.
Prime example: Housekeeping showed up for turn down service around 7 p.m. We were not ready for dinner and hence asked them to return an hour later.
Went to dinner, came back to the villa and no one had been there in the meantime
Called up, said if they could send someone, which happened - but only to leave us fresh towels.
Called up again and asked for some fresh water. Another 5 minutes we were delivered the water.
We thought, ok this can happen once, no problem...
As you can imagine, it was not the end of the story
Next day the exact same thing happend again.
After delaying the housekeeping, no one returned,so we had to call again.

There are other little things that I felt did not work as they should; Fruit was not peeled as I saw it on other places (melons for example had too much hard stuff from the skin on them), you had to request new cutlery during breakfast if your used one was taken away, glass of water on request only, not always were the tables completely set up, etc. - Again these are small details and nothing really serious, but they sum up tp a level contradicting the 5 star hotel standard aspired by the Conrad.

So all in all I am rating it still with 4 stars, given that the hotel and the way it's been build is overwhelming.
I sincerely hope that management will control the problems so that everything will work as it is supposed to.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nuapad,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Conrad Koh Samui experience with us. Please allow me to apologies on behalf of the team for letting you down during your stays with us. I have, however, addressed your comments about the shortcomings of our service and communication with the team in our internal training programs. We will take the corrective measures necessary so as to ensure that our standards improve accordingly.

I sincerely hope you will consider a return visit in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon and loved the place. The rooms are luxuriously appointed and wonderfully private, the staff is friendly and detail-oriented, and the views are amazing. It's distance from the airport and other hotels is a plus, in my opinion. While you can find very nice, less expensive hotels around the island, if you're making the trip to Koh Samui, it's worth paying extra to enjoy this hotel.

Also, we recommend taking advantage of the free charter boat ride to a nearby beach, which includes snorkeling. A nice excursion.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Marteen239,

Thank you for your review. We're thrilled that you and your wife had a wonderful stay and appreciated our beautiful villa and the view. The view never tires for us too - it's gorgeous year-round. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your wife back again at Conrad Koh Samui, maybe for your 1st Wedding Anniversary!.

Stefano Ruzza

Been to Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!