“Rarely this Impressed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa

You added Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   49/8-9 Moo 4, Hillcrest Road | overlooking Aow Thai Beach, Taling-Ngam, Ko Samui 84140, Thailand   |
Ranked #11 of 312 Hotels in Ko Samui
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Rarely this Impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is the first time I am commenting on Tripadvisor. Even though I have been reading the hotel reviews for years. It is the first time a hotel has so impressed me, that I feel compelled to share it.
I travel for a living and spend approx. 180 days a year in mainly 4-5+ star hotels around the world. So, as you can imagine, I experience the good and the terrible but overall they are all the relatively same. That is until now!

I stayed at the Conrad Koh Samui for the second week of a 2-week holiday in Koh Samui. I was with my wife and 3 children (5, 3 & 1) and stayed in a 2 Bedroom Villa.

When we first arrived to check-in the GM (Stefano) was there to greet us. He was very friendly and professional and gave us the feeling that he was personally interested in my family having a lovely experience. This was a great first impression.
I said to my wife “lets not get too excited, many hotels manage to ruin this feeling within a few days”.

So off to the room.

What a view! 250° view of islands and water.
The rooms were very clean. The design and furnishing was the style we like. My wife would like to install the same bathroom in our home.

The kids wanted to swim, so down to the hotel pool before it got to late. Once finished we saw my daughter had red eyes, probably from a little sun burn the day before or that she spends more time under water than above or just tired. We thought nothing of it and end with a room service and an early night.

At breakfast we were met by the F&B manager/Head Chef (Konrad). He was very welcoming. He not only explained the concept for the different restaurants, but also if there were any special dietary needs for our children or us. Basically, anything our children or we needed, it would be arranged. Even if it wasn’t on the menu.
He explained all about the hotel and activities and answered all our questions. Finally he said “ I heard about the incident yesterday”. We thought he must have mistaken us for another family as we only arrived yesterday. He continued explaining that during the management meeting this morning, they reviewed a report that had been written from the pool boy. The pool boy had noticed us looking at our daughters’ eyes the day before and reported it. So by the time we were at breakfast the pool water was being tested and adjusted for the correct pH levels and whatever else you measure in pools.
Impressed? We still were.
It was not only the management team with this level of customer service. All the staff had it. There are too many occasions to list, but a small final one was the maintenance team coming to our villa while it was being cleaned. I was told they are here to fix the draw. I knew nothing of it, but the housekeep had noticed one of the draws did not shut smoothly. So she called maintenance to fix it. We had thought the draw was fine. It is the small thing that really set a hotel apart. Believe it or night, I have stayed in hotels for weeks and they still can’t manage to fix items that I bring to their attention.
There was such pride and dedication in their jobs and with the hotel, I got the feeling they all personally owned shares in the hotel. It was truly amazing.

The quality of food was fantastic throughout the hotel including the room service. Even the children’s meals were delicious. I read comments before I arrived about the price of the food. I agree that it is a little on the high side, but totally disagree with the quality comments. It is excellent. The fusion (Thai with a twist) was well thought-out and I was hooked on the Thai style eggs Benedict.

The beach wasn’t as good as other hotel beaches, but the complimentary option of the hotel speedboat to another island 15 min away made up for it. Even on the other island, they have staff to assist you with the towels, setup and prepare your picnic lunch and also search the water to check for any undesirable creatures that might venture close to shore. The last point made my wife very happy.

Even though there weren’t many young children like ours staying in the hotel. The staff bent over backwards for them. Children meals were prioritised. As any parent will know, trying to feed tired kids and then having to wait 30-45 min for their meals results in them going crazy and us parents being stressed out. It didn’t happen here. Which made dinning with the kids a lot more relaxing.
The kids club (Turtle club) was ok. But there was no dedicated staff waiting there. Maybe because we were the only ones that would use it or maybe it was normal. However, as soon as we were there, a staff member would arrive. My only suggestion would be for a few more organised activities for them.
Normally, in most hotels the kids club has a closing time and that’s when the kids need to be picked up. However, at the Conrad, they always opened the room up for our kids even after closing. Which helps when the kids are on a different time zone or my wife and I want to enjoy a drink together in peace.

3 days before leaving one of our daughters got an earache. Nothing serious, but I asked if they had a house doctor. We were flying out and just wanted it checked. They don’t have a house doctor, but recommended the best hospital to go to. We decided to go and within 5 min there was a complimentary hotel transport and driver waiting for us whenever were ready and organised to go. The driver waited for us to visit the ENT specialist and drove us back. Afterwards the staff regularly inquired to her condition and if we need to go back to the hospital, they would arrange everything. It was honestly lovely to stay in this hotel.

Finally, to address the golf buggy situation. We stayed close to the top of the resort and it is a long trip to go down to the pool. But the hotel is built on a cliff and as a result provides wonderful views. So I guess, it goes hand in hand. Anyone that makes this a major issue will also complain about if the hotel was built on a flat piece of land, that he/she has no nice views.
Anyway, 95% of the time you will wait 5 min for a buggy and the longest we waited was 15 min (once). But we also need the larger golf buggy compared to regular guests that can go on the normal size buggies.

Without a doubt we will return to this hotel, most likely every year for the foreseeable future. If you have a budget and could choose 14 days in another hotel or 10 days in the Conrad, do something to treat yourself and choose the Conrad. You wont be disappointed. While the hotel is absolutely stunning, it’s the staff that sets is far apart from other hotels.

This probably sounds like I have been paid to write this, but bear in mind I spend half my life in a hotel or on a plane. I can’t remember the last time something in the service industry impressed so much.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Michael R.

A heartfelt thank you on your wonderful review. I have shared your kind words with the team and they are thrilled. All of us at Conrad Koh Samui are looking forward to have you and your family with us again. See you again next year!

Stefano Ruzza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Holland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed here for nine nights.

All villas have a private swimming pool of 10 meters long, which we have used a lot.
There are also two sun beds and there is a lounge on each terrace.
So if you really go for leisure, you can relax back at your own terrace throughout the day.

Throughout the resort there is free wifi, we had early problems with the wifi in our villa, but this was resolved very quickly after a call from the GM to the technician.

The resort is very nice and the expected luxury was evident.

We have eaten in all the restaurants and the quality is equally good.
Especially breakfast is great, the staff fits in well with your wishes, and controlled by the chef Koenraad.
The chef Koenraad you see regularly walk in one of the restaurants, he asks if everything is satisfactory and whether there are other needs, this you may expect in a five star plus resort.

Also if you want to eat something that is not on the menu in the restaurant, you can ask for it, we have not had a time that something was not possible.

The general manager, Steffano is evident every day, he usually makes a round at breakfast and talk to every guest, we think this is a good thing,

This resort is worth the money you paid for the villa.

Obviously there are two minuses.
The resort is very secluded and it would be a valuable addition as a kind of shuttle service would come.
Otherwise you're very tied to the resort.

The ordinary drinks at the pool may be slightly cheaper, for example, a beer costs around $ 9.00
So you do not see many people ordering drinks at the pool.
Around $ 5.00 is a great price for a beer and soft drink up $ 3.50
I believe that if you bring the prices down a bit, more ordered is what ultimately brings higher sales with it.
So better for the resort.

A tip:
Please note that if you ask an employee something that they have understood you.
You are in Thailand and the Thai are no stars in english, when in doubt ask one of the managers who walk around, their English is good.

Normally I do not write this whole long reviews, but we were so pleased with the Conrad Koh Samui that it just came out.
We will definitely go back next year!!

In this review we want to thank the whole team and especially Koenraad and Steffano for the excellent service.

Room Tip: Take a Private retreat pool villa. They are really private!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Rene7,

I can’t thank enough for the wonderful review. Looking forward to welcoming you both back again in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for three nights in a lovely villa (there's not a bad location in the place) and the views are truly stunning. The service gets high marks as well (as you would expect for ~800USD/night). Our main complaint was the food which was ludicrously priced (soda=$5, dinner for 3=$275, lunch=$65) and of very average quality. A markup you expect in a place like this but beef wellington for $65 was double the price of an entire meal, soup/nuts, at Green Talay (nearby---go!). Shame that they are price gouging in what is otherwise a great place.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bill G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response after your stay with us at Conrad Koh Samui. Your feedbacks are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor guest’s needs and expectations. I am delighted that you enjoyed our villa and services provided. I hope to welcome you back whenever your travels bring you this way.

Bergamo, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed there with my family in July, we had already stayed there last year; we were very happy to have the chance to come once again. The resort is built on a cliff, and it is a villa only hotel, each villa has a great view on the gulf and the Five Islands, and sunsets are absolutely wonderful. Each villa has a private pool and a large terrace, with a pretty good privacy. We were picked up at the Koh Samui airport by a hotel driver and comfortably reached the hotel in the white BMW X5. The arrival experience is magical, the lobby is open and there is a wonderful view on the Five Islands. Check-in was extremely courteous, relaxing and fast; it was nice to meet the staff we had enjoyed last year and who remembered us. We were taken to our villa (314, very good, last year we had the 308 which was similar) with a buggy and our luggage was already there. The day of our arrival there was a GM cocktail, so we went there and could meet with the hotel management in a relaxed ambiance. The GM was just arrived, his name is Stefano, he can speak many languages and takes very good care of the guests and their children, spending everyday a visit during breakfast. Both the room and the bathroom are very large, with a very good tast modern Thai decor, the bed is comfortable, the room TV has a i-Mac and very good wifi everywhere in the resort. We ended up spending most of our time in the villa itself, which offers every kind of confort, including an espresso maker. Housekeeping is perfect, every morning the room is fully made up and looks like you have just checked-in. Laundry service is very fast, we had our clothes delivered the same day everytime, regardless of the pick up time; it is also very reasonably priced which allows to travel light. Service in general is just great, staff greets guests by their name, everyone is smiling and seems happy to work there, which is always a guarantee of positive experience for the guests. There is peace everywhere, everything goes on very smoothly, and relaxing music in the outlets. Outdoors are just marvellous, there has been a great care from architects and landscape architects to make sure beauty is everywhere, day and night. One has the impression that there is no other guest in the resort, it is so peaceful all the time. The breakfast is served in the main restaurant Zest, there is plenty of choice for all tastes, western or asian, tropical fruits and juices, an egg station with pancakes and waffles, and food is nicely presented and the buffet always well maintained. There are tables outdoor and indoor as well; staff is very helpful and make sure tables are cleared quickly. If you have allergy or restrictions, do talk to the Executive Chef Mr. Konrad, and he will flawlessly and personnally make sure everything is well executed; I even had special bread baked for me everyday by the Pastry Chef Khun Bancha. The hotel offers morning activities like yoga, taichi, thai boxing, stretching, handled by a helpful and competent staff, that my family enjoyed. There is also a complimentary speedboat that takes guests to a remote beach; we did not experience this as we opted for a pure laisy vacation, but I have heard good comments from other guests. The main pool is very nice, well maintained, a perfect poolside service with a nice bar called Azure, that serves salads, pizza, sandwiches etc... and nice wine, cocktails and drinks; service at Azure is very good, warm and friendly. Azure is also a good option in the evening for a light dinner or a drink, the atmosphere is very nice, including wonderful sunsets. There are other restaurants, one called Jahn serving Fusion Thai food and the Wine cellar, but we had our meals at Zest where the service is perfect and the food offering quite wide, or at Azure. The hotel has a wonderful SPA, there were many special offers during our stay, my wife and I enjoyed our treatments, and here again the experience is enhanced by the beauty of the place, the sea view and the extreme kindness of the therapist and SPA manager. The hotel is relatively insulated in Koh Samui, which is good thing because it is far from noise and other touristic nuisance; there is a good transportation service to go out in the Island; I also saw several guests with rental cars, but frankly the place is so nice and comfortable that we did not feel like going out. In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this place, for a luxury vacation full of beauty, relax and perfect service. I want to emphasize the fact that the staff has an extreme care of the guests' comfort; the Conrad Koh Samui is the kind of places one regrets to leave for its beauty and the kindness of the whole personnel and management.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Picky_Italian_64

I can’t thank you enough on your kind words and great review. I and the team are thrilled to know that we created a memorable stay for you and your family. It would be a joy to welcome you and your family back to Conrad Koh Samui.

Warm regards,
Ko Samui, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you want luxury and everything that goes with it, then come here. We felt as if we were on our honeymoon even after 23 yrs of marriage. Staff are very polite and accomodating, always. We were greeted with a smile from gardeners to managers. Staff never forgot anything, even to what tea I had in the morning. Just one thing we found annoying, it is very difficult to get to other places on the island. You need to pay for private cars or taxis. It would be great if there was a courtesy bus to Fishermans Village and Chaweng Beach. Even if once a day there and back. Thank You Conrad Koh Samui we will be back!

Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Dear Shaggymanda,

Thank you for the great review, I and the team are delighted that we have contributed to your wonderful stay. It will truly be a pleasure to welcome you and your family back again in the future.

Warm regards,
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

arrived day before and two more days to stay... I did make a right choice to stay at this Conrad.

we are staying at the two bedrooms villa with ocean view, the ground floor is the huge living room with an open kitchen, the lower floor are two bed rooms and the 10 meters swimming pool. The property are well maintained and spotless clean, well trained staff and services are above standard. free wifi all over, no problems. All in house movies are free for two bedrooms villa.

The only advice is the Food at Jahn might be a little pricey and not so good, however I might be bias because I am orient and expecting authentic cuisine, Jahn serves fancy food but if you are after environment and style, please give a try.

And perhaps you can skip the island boat trip , it was free and there are 3 times a day. The island is nothing special , not that kind of white sand you are after..and there were no fish spotted when we snorkel. i could be bias because I was try to compare with Maldives beaches. However, all the boat staff offer very good services all along.

Overall, We are very happy with Conrad Koh Samui and highly recommend.

remember to stock up some wines, drinks and snack before, you could ask the driver to stop at any convenience stores on the way to the hotel.

Room Tip: Two bed rooms villa can accommodate 5 persons
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Conrad K, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Car23_car23,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response after your recent stay with us. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Apart from this I and the team are delighted that you were enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcoming you and your family back again in the future.

Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I and my boyfriend went to Conrad on 26/07/13, we got a spacial take care and great service. we're very happy there. Ko is one of staff who take care us.
Conrad have a great room and view. i love breakfast there, the view made our morning so wonderful.
we hope to come back again :)

Fah&Yo

Room Tip: Room on top will be best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Khun Fah and Khun Yo,

I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful time and that Ko was so attentive to your needs. I will be sure to share your kind words with him and the rest of the team.

Thank you and we hope you will stay with us again.

Stefano Ruzza

Been to Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!