“Go before they put the rates up” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa

You added Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   49/8-9 Moo 4, Hillcrest Road | overlooking Aow Thai Beach, Taling-Ngam, Ko Samui 84140, Thailand   |
Special Offer
Stay 4 nights, pay for 3!
Ranked #7 of 311 Hotels in Ko Samui
4.5 of 5 stars 460 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
“Go before they put the rates up”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

The Conrad has been open for about 2 months, it's not perfect but it's pretty impressive after such a short time in operation and the introductory rates make it exceptional value for a resort of this quality.

First, if you are flying in on Bangkok Airways, don't expect too much, food is mediocre and the seats not very comfortable. Make sure you sit at the front or the back of the plane as when you land you want to be off the plane and into Immigration asap. You exit front and back and if you sit in the middle of the plane you are last off and condemning yourself to an hour trying to get through immigration, not much fun.

Once out of the airport the Conrad team made everything pretty seamless. Transfer was by S-Class (a nice touch when you are expecting a 5-Series BMW) and once at the resort you are whisked around by buggy. The resort itself is set into a fairly steep cliff and so the only way from top to bottom is by buggy, unless you fancy a bit of mountain climbing. Every member of staff we encountered was professional and effective (impressive after 2 months in operation) and extremely warm and helpful (one of the reasons you go to Thailand).

We had a 1 bedroom pool villa and it was gorgeous. We've been lucky enough to stay in some great resorts around Asia and this villa matches up to every one. Inside is spacious, well designed and very comfortable. Top quality bathroom with a great rain shower and free standing tub that overlooks the ocean. Outside is even more impressive with a big private deck and infinity pool that stretches the width of the villa and the views are fantastic across to the 5 islands and the mainland. It's also west facing and so you get some pretty amazing sunsets right from your deck. There is no need to move from your villa which is good because there is no beach to speak of and my one big gripe is they have built an ugly pontoon to extend out past the reef. It just does not fit with the surroundings and also acts as a dam that collects all the ocean debris and traps it against the shore.

Food was good but slightly inconsistent but i'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that is something that will improve as they go on. Breakfast was great, dinner at Zest extremely good and the one let down was room service in our villa. It's mainly the same menu as Zest and i'm assuming comes from the same kitchen but the level of cooking wasn't even close to dinner in the restaurant the night before, hence the slightly inconsistent comment.

In summary, it's the first time i've stayed in a Conrad and based on this experience I would definitely go back to this resort and maybe look at Conrad in the future. The challenge I think is going to be when prices go up and start to get into the Four Seasons and Banyan Tree territory. However, at the current price levels this resort is a real winner and we would definitely go back, take advantage of it while you can!

Room Tip: Go for rooms that begin with 2, high enough to give you draw dropping views as well as being on the...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Justin P, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear Matt196,

Many thanks for sharing your experience, I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you again soon and with warmest regards

Justin Phillips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Stoped at the Azure (Pool Bar) for lunch last month.

We ordered a tropical pizza and a beef burger for lunch and really enjoyed the experience.

I thought that the pizza was particularly fantastic - so much that I wanted to order take away but they didnt have box available for take away yet.

Overall? An enjoyable lunch on Koh Samui.

Didn't stay overnight at property. Only lunch.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Nomi_Jinta,

Thank you very much for providing us feedback on your recent dining experience, and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Warmest Regards

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We spent 4 nights at the brand new Conrad Koh Samui. The Conrad is my favorite brand of hotels and I had high expectations given the splendid reviews of the property on trip advisor.

First, the good. The service staff were excellent and the 2 lady butlers were superb. I cannot say enough about their friendliness, their superb attitude and the overall level of service was just impeccable. Every request was not too much to ask and by the 2nd day, all the staff knew which room we were in. We did not need to tell them which room we were from and they would ferry us back to our room on the buggy.

The view from the resorts were also spectacular and you could just while away your time by your own private pool, soaking in the beautiful sunsets. I can understand how guests can just stay in the resort and not get out if you are looking to really relax and get away from the city. The private pool in the villa was also a very generous size and we had our own sun beds to lay on while feeling like the only people in the resort. Very nice.

Now, the not so good. As a gold member of hilton honors, there is no executive lounge or room upgrade which is fine. They however, will give you a welcome snack and a bottle of red wine. When we arrived, the tray of snacks was already placed on the table. BUT as the snacks were sweet, the whole tray and table was infested with ants when we got in! I got a shock and had to call housekeeping to come replace the tray. They took a long time, (partly I think due to the fact that the resort was built on the cliff and they had to take the buggy to get to us). I think the hotel really should look into delivering the snack only when the guests are inside the room to ensure the freshness of these snacks.

We also realized the TV was not working (the cables were loose or something) and the wifi couldn't work. We had to wait almost an hour for the technician to fix the TV and wifi while we just sat in the room waiting. It was good that we were not in any sort of rush. This also wasn't completely resolved, as the tv was rotatable to face the bed, for the next 4 nights, we had to be very careful when we rotate the TV, as any sudden jerk to the TV could mean the cables came loose again. It was quite frustrating sometimes.

The bit that I was really disturbed was the number of pests that can be found inside the room. I am fully aware that every villa would come with its fair share of bugs, but given that the conrad is new, i was really quite taken aback. We had the ants problem, and in the next 4 nights, we had a slew of bug problems. We had 2 lizards in the room (1 on the bed!! and 1 on the study table). We also had a cockroach at the TV console (near the mini bar) and a grasshopper and a big housefly in the bathroom. It was a rude shock really, and I can't imagine how if we had not discovered the lizard on the bed, what could have happened while we were asleep. I felt bad that we had to get housekeeping to come and catch these bugs all the time, but I think that a hotel like Conrad really needs to look into these. I have stayed at the Conrad Bali and also several Aman properties I never had to face this problem.

Food wise, We had breakfast at Zest and the spread was quite good. I have to say the pastries were very good. The chef came out to explain all the food and the pastries and spreads (jam,yoghurt etc) are apparently all home made. There are also some thai delights such as fried rice, noodle soup and even curry. One day, I really wanted to have some french toast and my request was gladly met. Very nice! It was also really therapeutic to eat outdoors where you could hear the waves - it was a surreal experience.

We had lunch at Zest once and I was disappointed that the food was not as good (and not as cheap) as what we could get at FIve Islands Restaurant or Green Talay. There was little variety and the taste was not fantastic. As such, we decided not to try any other food in the resort and to get out of the resort for the subsequent nights for food outside. I would recommend Green Talay restaurant, which is just about a 10 minute car ride out. THe food is EXCELLENT and price was very reasonable. Better than Five Islands (which is what Conrad will recommend you)

Transport wise, as the resort is really in a remote location, you will have little choice but to get the hotel's taxi if you wish to get out. We paid THB1500 for a round trip to Nathon, which is a laid back little town where you can get cheap traditional Thai Massage and local thai food. However, you can always choose to flag down a cab to bring you back for about half the price of what you will pay the hotel transport. Having said that, the hotel taxi is really comfortable and if you wish to travel in luxury and comfort, it might be worth booking the hotel transport. We had a mercedes pick us up in the return trip and it was just so worth the experience.

We really hope the hotel can improve on the bug problem, and try to improve on the quality of the food. But Overall, it was a nice relaxing stay. The hotel staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable (they even packed a nice breakfast box for us on our last day because we had a very early morning flight to catch). We also had glorious sunshine all 5 days we were there which makes it all the more perfect.

Room Tip: If you want to walk to the breakfast area, choose rooms around the 100-200 range. We were in the 300...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Michie85,

Many thanks for sharing your experience at The Conrad Koh Samui and we have noted your comments for improvement with pest control and cuisine. Our entire team looks forward to another chance to welcome you back to Conrad Koh Samui in the very near future.

Regards

Cairns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Conrad Koh Samui must be one of the best Hotels in the world if you love views, food and tranquility. We spent lazy days by our pool watching the islands bobbing in the ocean and listening to the sound of the waves. The resort is away from the bright lights and noise of Koh Samui and to us, this is a benefit. We did hire a car, which was easily arranged and delivered to the hotel, to do some sight seeing but quickly realised that we just loved our private balcony more. The restaurants have wonderful dishes but we found room service to be fantastic, the menu extensive and the service quick. In addition, the room was large and beautifully appointed while the speed of the complimentary Internet was extremely high, a nice touch.

Room Tip: We stayed in #211 so central to the main restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear hannibalcat,

Our team appreciates your kind comments, and looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future

With warmest regards

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

"Best of all..."
When you arrive you would either drop your monocle at the sight of the view or die on the spot. The view... is spectacular. Watch sunset (1) from the convenience of the room on your sunbrella outdoor settee right next to the small private pool or (2) lie on your giant super king size hotel bed complete with egyptian linen and down feather pillows. You can choose either to listen to the waves or stream music through the Apple computer/TV set. (3) sit in a bubble bath in a giant stone bath tub -- big enough to fill three grown men or (4) and the best option, go to the main pool on level one, sip cocktail from the Azure pool side bar white lying on the pool sundeck...

"And the room..."
I have stayed in ample nice hotels alright and this room, or shall I say villa... is...spectacular (Lost for words). The sheer size of it... I stayed in a normal single room and it took at least 30 seconds to stroll from one side of the room to the other end. My villa has an unobstructed view of the ocean which you just can't escape from. Everywhere you look seems to point towards the ocean. I already mentioned the in-villa infinity pool. It is exactly the kind of feature in the room that makes your heart leap to your throat and puts a smile on your face. You'd want to jump in it regardless whether you're wearing clothes! The pool will take you 5 strokes to go from one end to the other, but it's still a 1.2m pool nonetheless! Very high ceiling, 100% 5 star interior decor, modern and comfortable... State of the art light switches and TV and sound system -- better if there are more choices on video on demand and TV channels. But where's the remote control for the curtains? I know there's this cinderella thing with drawing open your curtains to a beautiful day facing the ocean... But come on -- the room is haaaauuuuge and the guest is lazy!
Bathroom... giant bathtub, shower with a rainshower and hand shower set... Acca Kappa toileteries... But where are the shavers?
Walk in wardrobe plus a vent directly above the railings -- will quickly dry all your wet bikinis!
No insects in the room even I opened the windows to my villa and I was out for the whole day... Remarkable considering this is built in the hill...
You don't have to break into the minibar for fresh water as they provide four bottles per day. (PS... Some tropical islands have no fresh water and so water from the tap can taste salty. Not with this hotel as I suspect the filter their tap water... The water from the shower is absolutely fresh and I think you can just drink from it... Of course if you have a troublesome stomach I won't recommend it...) Minibar is well-stocked, I won't use it though as every item is overpriced for what they are, but if you take the hotel's location into account then you have to appreciate the effort for the logistics...

"The location..."
Which takes me to the location... It's built on an exclusive lot on a vast slope of hill... Which also means you need a club car/buggy/golf kart whatever you call it to get absolutely anywhere. The merit is that when you call concierge, a buggy will normally be with you within 1 minute (pretty remarkable). And taking the buggy is an experience in itself. I live in the city so I don't normally get chauffeured everywhere, but having the option to be an absolute lazy bum is a great way to indulge as well. But you'll be sure I won't bring my children here as the steep slopes means if you don't hold on to your kid, you won't be flying them home... The hotel is also 45 minutes away from the airport and you won't be able to walk to the nearest town... So whenever you're in town don't forget to buy snacks, drinks or other amenities... Taking a taxi is a pain as well... A 15 mins drive can set you back a whopping THB750!

"What to do..."
Since the hotel is so secluded, privacy is umpteen so I guess it is best for people who want utter quietness and peace. People who just want to enjoy their anniversaries or for whatever celebrations will find it the perfect location as well. Within the resort there's not much to do apart from going to the gym, doing yoga, going to the spa, walking up and down the hill on concrete, beautifully paved pavements and going to the swimming pool. Of course couples will be loving the giant tub and the king size bed... And even the restaurants are all doubly seated. If you're coming here on your own out of spiteful regret of marrying/getting together with that man or that woman... don't! This is the perfect location for honey mooners or older couple celebrating their anniversaries... Your teenage kids will be cursing you for bringing them here, and your newborn would probably have flown out from the buggy before they even got to the villa... So...

"The service..."
Spot on. Service is impeccable -- every staff is on the balls, efficient, friendly and very willing and helpful. Very discreet. I really appreciate the lightning fast response from staff... considering the resort's vast size...

All in all...
I already said... the perfect location for anybody who wants to be as far away from reality as possible. It's the perfect concoction for a luxury resort. You have all the best of the best mods and cons for your room, both decoration and service wise with the added benefit of the most perfect backdrop -- the ocean. Best for couples as the rooms and the whole hotel is really built for them. If you need entertainment... this is perhaps not the best for you as it is so far away from everything.

Room Tip: Swimming pool on level one, restaurants and bar on level two, spa on level three, exit on the top f...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Dear scoobagoose,

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

With warmest regards

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Had a 6 day break with my husband staying at Conrad. It is superb. I had a 90 min massage upon my arrival to the hotel. Fell asleep after 5 min and came out totally relaxed and ready for my holiday. The villa pool is larger than the one I've tried at Four Seasons in Bali and Banyan Tree in Sanya. We swam everyday in our private infinity pool and enjoy the sunset by the water. The villa has unobstructed view of the sea. I can see the breathtaking sunset everywhere.
Breakfast is delicious with emphasis placed on HEALTH & FRESHNESS. I love the freshly baked croissants , homemade yoghurt, and the hotel's own concoction of freshly squeezed juice ...
Would be lovely if the beach is bigger. The staff are friendly and most helpful. Of course, be prepared to pay for the premium that comes with high quality service and setting.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Paul L, General Manager at Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Dear kotrav ,

Our team appreciates your kind comments and looks forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future

Warmest regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed at this hotel from 14th to 16th October and spent the weekend in a state of awe and amazement. The hotel is new and fresh. The property is beautiful, well-planned and perfect for those seeking privacy and peace and quiet on a holiday. The location is just unbeatable - the property faces west and so every evening you can witness the most amazing sunset. The hotel is situated on top of a hill and the only way to access it is by car / taxi (versus walking). Once you arrive at the hotel you will then be taken by buggie to your room (the rooms are located up and down the hill) - this all adds to the charm of the location. You feel like you have been whisked away from your usual busy lives to another world.

Each of the villas (the property consists of villas versus bedrooms) faces west / the sea - so everyone gets this view. Each property comes with its own plunge pool - and a very good size plunge pool. The bathroom is huge with excellent facilities (including a proper rain shower and excellent-sized bathtub). The room also has internet - wireless and on the tv using an apple docking system (the only one of its kind).

The service was top notch - the staff were attentive and knowledgeable about the property and the surrounding areas. The restaurant has several restaurants - we only managed to try two - Zest (the all-day dining) and Azure (the pool-side bar) - at the latter we strongly recommend the minty lemonade - a beautiful drink on a hot day. The food at both was very good - fresh and made from good ingredients.

We also got around to trying the spa. The spa is located on the top eastern corner of the property and so in some rooms you have a 270% view of the surrounding ocean / islands / land. Very beautiful. The therapists are attentive during treatments without being intrusive or disruptive of your relaxation. The relaxation room also faces the ocean and has amazing views to enjoy before and after the treatment.

A highly highly recommended resort and spa.

Room Tip: If you are staying at a 1-bedroom villa then see if you can request rooms starting with "1"...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear SHJ207,

Many thanks for sharing your stay experience, and for your loyalty to us. I appreciate your kind comments and will share them with the Conrad Koh Samui team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best Regards

Justin Phillips

Been to Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!