“food poisoning from room service food.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Punnpreeda Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Punnpreeda Beach Resort to your Saves list
Punnpreeda Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   32 Moo 4, Bang Rak Beach | Bo Phut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand (Formerly Punnpreeda Hip Resort Samui)   |
Ranked #96 of 309 hotels in Ko Samui
“food poisoning from room service food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Would have been a lovely stay, hotel is right on the beach and close to airport. We stayed in a villa, room was comfortable. However our air conditioning did not work, we barely slept a wink as it was so hot in the room. We also ordered room service for dinner, which my friend and I got food poisoning, up most of the morning vomiting. Wasn't a pleasant experience.

• Stayed November 2012
Managerathip, Front Office Manager at Punnpreeda Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Khun Amy,

First of all, thank you for your comments and give us an advised on the room service menu. We are so sad to hear that you are not so happy on our food. As soon as I read your comment we did checking with our kitchen regards on your order in Thai Food Menu. Both spring roll, Pai Thai prawn, and Fired noodle were cook with fresh and serve with cover right away after order. It should not because of cold and freeze of the food. Second, even this period which have a heavy raining and electrical from government always shut down and sometime it took about 3-4 hours but all material are on the refrigerator which always working and running cause we do have a generator support and provide electric all day long even electrical shut down. So food and all raw material should not been spoil. We also did checking the inventory daily for supply the food fill up our inventory everyday.
However, we deeply sorry for an unpleasant stay this time. Please come back again for a chance. Please also let us know while you stay so we would try to solve all issues at our best. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

206 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
västerås
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Punnpreeda mid November 2012 with my family for 4 nights, and stayed In a midrange room.
The Punnpreeda is on Big Buddha Beach, which is a long sandy beach in a big bay that also includes the Bang Rak beach to the west. Being a bay the water doesn't move much making it look a bit dirty.
There are a lot of boats anchored in the area and the boats leaving from the piers easily take you to Koh Pah Nang in 30 min.

The resort itself is quite small but has a good layout with the pool and restaurant close to the beach.
They serve a decent breakfast and lunch/dinner was good at reasonable prices.
The staff at the restaurant were great and very welcoming. The English is as often a bit of a struggle...

Punnpreeda is definitely one if the nicer places to stay on Big Buddha beach.

If you are in the area don't miss:
1 fisherman village. Probably the best street in Samui for restaurants and also decent shopping - beats chaweng any day of the week.
2 Cafe 69 - a small restaurant with 5 tables that serve fantastic Thai with a twist.

If staying in Big Buddha and your on a budget - the Punnpreeda is great value for money.

• Stayed November 2012
Managerathip, Manager at Punnpreeda Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear thetallswede,
Greeting from Punnpreeda Hip Resort,
Thank you for your nice contribution and always cheer up our team while we are missing. We are glad to hear you and your family like our Hip resort. Please remind us as your second home while you come visiting samui.
Beach on samui is seasonal. During this month, beach may not so clean because it’s time for environment cycle to clear up the beach. We always realized and remind to clean up beach twice every day. We would like to keep all things green and clean as the green island concept for samui.
We look forward to welcome you and your family back very soon.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is my first time at Samui, really like the atmosphere at the front desk. It looks so nice and very welcomes for the guests also the service with welcome drinks. On the second floor in the room, surprisingly, there is a space for working too. I could also have my privacy even lived with my family. Very nice beachfront restaurant, at @ Chill @ Hip, I couldn’t stop taking the pictures. ^__^

About location, it isn’t far from the centre and the beach so peaceful. We also enjoyed walking along the beach very much, in the morning. “Serene, Hip and Relaxing”

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Managerathip, Manager at Punnpreeda Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Khun Sirinpat,

We Punnpreeda Hip resort are so glad to hear from you and we also thank you so much for your time to give us a lovely comments. We are also happy to welcome and serve you while you stay with us.

We would be pleasure to have chance to welcome you back again very soon. Please let be your second home when you have plan to come samui.

We all here looking forward to greeting you soon.

norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

First of all i would like to say how nice the food @ Chill @ Hip. I have been here for 5 days and i almost tried everything on the menu. Thai food is the best however they serve italian too. I also wana thank the Chef so much.

Of caurse i won't forget to mention the great hospitality and treatment we had here.
I have been alot of countires but never seen as kindly and respectful as thai people. I would absolutely come again to punnpreeda hotel (Best service.... best everything)

YeeeeeeHaaaaaa

Room Tip: nice green pool overlook from 505
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Boom S,

Greeting and Sawasdee from Samui.

Thank you so much for your nice comment on our Hip resort. It was nice to hear you love to stay and have a great time while your stay. Your comment had cheer up our team and already distribute to our staff. They all said thank you and smile at their face.

Please come back to visit us.. We all here definitely welcome you back and would like to greeting and serve you soon.

Best regards,

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel offered a reasonable good value for 3 nights stayed and got free upgrade to the hip villa room. But also, the hotel provided free mini bar with daily refill 2 bottles of - water, soft drink and fruit juice.

Nice beachfront restaurant, over looking on a beautiful beach having your breakfast every morning. The pool is facing the beautiful beach but a bit small. The beach water is clear but very shallow. The hotel is located right on the main road, convinent and easy to find the way back to the hotel.

Fishermen's Village is not far away and is good place for shopping.We hired a motorbike, 10 mins driving to fisherman's village and Big C and 25 minis driving to chaweng.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Managerathip, Manager at Punnpreeda Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Khun Fiona,

Greeing from Punnpreeda hip resort.

Thank you for your nice review on our hip hotel and our staff. We are so glad to read your comments and so happy to know you are happy while you staying here Punnpreeda Hip Resort.

Please come to visit us anytime you come back to samui island.

We will keep our goal to serve our guests at our best and make them smile before backing home cause here is their second home.

Punnpreeda Hip Resort
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Unfortunately despite advertising free airport transfers online the hotel refused to provide this for me.

When I complained and showed the receptionist the advert through which I had booked, I was told someone would contact me shortly to sort the problem out - this never happened and when I complained again, I was then told that the receptionist had gone home without handing over the details of the complaint and that there was no manager on duty so nothing could be done.

When I complained again, I was then handed a mobile phone to speak to the manager of the hotel who told me I should sort out the problem myself as I was only staying for one night anyway.

In addition to the problem with airport transfers, the hotel also does not provide mosquito nets despite having standing water throughout the hotel and literally thousands of mosquitoes. I was again told that there was nothing that could be done about this problem.

Given that there were only 2 rooms occupied in the hotel when I visited the customer service was incredibly poor.

Room Tip: Closer to the beach would be better
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Managerathip, Manager at Punnpreeda Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Mr Simon Cole,

First of all, thank you for stay with us and give us the advised. Thank you for your comments

Please give us a chance to clarify and clear explanations to you.

First, regards a Free shuttle transfer, we did mention a free shuttle bus transfer from Hotel to Chaweang beach two times a day. Free Shuttle Bus is set as a hotel schedule we also did mention at 3 pm and 9 pm. We did understand that quests may get the wrong information when they made a booking so we DID GIVE A COMPLIMENTARY AIRPORT SHUTTLE BUS to you if you went as our shuttle schedule. But you book us to airport at EARLY MORNING AT 4 AM which was not our bus shuttle. So please understand clearly again at this point for the reason we are try our best to explain to you.

I understanding you so disappointed but please talk nice and polite to us. Lucky my lady reception staff did not getting hurt when you throw the hotel mobile phone to her at the reception.

Please solve the entire problem with a manner not an emotional. We all could accept and excuse that you may feel so tired and need some rest. But please be nice when you stay at any hotels.

Secondly, it was true that all hotel area was surrounding with garden and water floor so we did inform our guests please try to close your doors when you preferred to go out or sitting at the terrace because now it was a raining season and mosquito may happen at night.

Regards on the mosquito net. We did sorry that we did not have the net in every room but we do provide a mosquito art machine for plug it which could be asked at our reception.

I do wish you could understand our explanations and good wish that you come back again. I wish one day you would be back. We would welcome you back with our pleasure.

Silverthorne, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Chill. Hip. Relaxing.

The remarkable service and attitude at Punnpreeda ensures that my first trip to Koh Samui certainly won't be my last. This is a case of Amazing Thailand.

I literally stumbled upon this place, as I wandered the beach negotiating with different bungalows for a low price. I wasn't sure what to expect as tangles and briars of dripping electrical wires block a decent street-side view. The facade of the building is reminiscent of old Santa Fe style, a painted white adobe with wooden accents.

The interior rooms are Thai "country" style, with white painted walls, tile and concrete flooring. Minimalist Thai art adorns the walls, with hand-dyed fabrics, teak furnishing and woven wooden lampshades adding a feel of traditional craftsmanship in a modern setting. Their motto is being "Hip and Chill" and that's indeed what the design emits.

Punpreeda has hotel rooms and villas to choose from, each with a private terrace. The villas are more like bungalows and of course are more expensive. The attentive staff worked with me to negotiate an ever lower-than-"low season" rate for one of the hotel rooms, set far back away from the beach and facing the busy main street that circles the island. The staff was also remarkably helpful in solving a couple of problems with the lighting & loose electrical wiring in the room; They didn't hesitate to offer a room change. It was all very relaxed - "chill" as they say at Punnpreeda.

The hotel is set on quiet and cosy beach, west facing with stunning sunset views. A small, beautiful and green-tiled infinity swimming pool looks like infinity itself, as if its green waters will stretch their way out to the Gulf of Siam. I was happy to see some "green" design along the hotel grounds, too, like CFL lighting outside along the walkways and in the fixtures of the rooms themselves. Even the tile in bathrooms are painted-green. A green sunbathing platform faces a green row boat pulled ashore. The traditional teak wood furnishings may raise some folks' eyebrows at any sustainability measures, though this is a hotel showcasing Thai traditional arts and craftsmanship in a hip, boutique style. Before deforestation, teak was a signature Thai agricultural product.

I didn't find any info about energy savings with regard to water, air-conditioning, towels and bedding…but did learn staff turns off the water each evening that flows from lush greenery into small bubbling pools lining the walkways behind reception. And Reception has a lot to offer, by the way, including a free library of DVDs to choose from, a business center and free wifi to use throughout the hotel. Punnpreeda also has a kayak on-site for guest use, no charge. In an Ode to this green mode of transportation, I kayaked all around the bay to Koh Samui's famous Big Buddha sculpture. It took about an hour round trip from the hotel beach front.

"Chill at Hip" restaurant faces the water, offering Thai, American and European options. I opted for the local, seasonal and regional Thai food. Fantastic! For the more adventurous traveler, I recommend visiting the fresh market 1/2 km from the hotel to sample traditional Thai snacks, fruits and street food.

Some other pluses:

-in-room safe
- robes & slippers
- tea and coffee service in room - hot water heater & sizable mugs
- twice daily free rides into the popular Chaweng beach area. This is a key service offered by the hotel, not only for the public transportation but also because it costs between 200-500 baht ($7-$17) to take public taxi.

One recommendation to Punnpreeda's management: Clearly display information about water and energy resources used by the hotel and guest's ability to "opt out" of daily laundering or other energy savings measures (I personally asked staff not to change any towels or linens).

It takes many modes of transport to get to Koh Samui and Punnpreeda (at least 5 in my case). The upside is once there, you get to stick around a while and relax. The outstanding and friendly staff will help you with whatever you require, within reason and manageability.

Chill.

Room Tip: Hotel rooms street-side are louder than those that are the bungalows close to the water.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Rachel,

Greeting from Punnpreeda Hip Resort. We are so glad to read your mail and so nice comments. All good and touchable feeling that was our pride and please to hear that. The most is we are so happy to hear that you are happy when you stay with us. You and yours comments had cheer up our team. Thank you so much again. We would be insist to contribute the good service as best as we could. We definately wish to welcome you back any time you come visit Samui Island.

Your good advise on the energy sign is the great idea. We will take it more concerned and action very soon. To also match with our green pool and the green island concept. To safe our world.

Jor and Orn,our reception staff, they would like to thank you for a very nice photo with you and so happy to get your picture. They said keep us post and keep us in touch.

Take a very good care yourself and we wish to see and welcome you back as soon

We miss you.

Punnpreeda Hip Resort Team

Been to Punnpreeda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!