“Fantastique!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #206 of 309 hotels in Ko Samui
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Fantastique!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I came here with no former knowledge on a spur of the moment booking and found it to be wonderful from the start. It is situated at the quieter end of the Island but as it is not a big island and a jeep/car/bike hire literally at the bottom of the drive who would want to stay anywhere else.
I cannot praise the Manageress Jeanette and her staff enough for the wonderful welcome, service and help in extending my stay. It is definitely somewhere I would go back to again.
Perfect if you are 'a deaux' and wanting somewhere quiet to relax and indulge on a room and BB basis to the beautiful privately owned villas available to hire surrounding the residence. The beautiful underused beach is a 10 minute walk away but was a drop/off pick up service to both there and Lamai etc.
Any questions, problems or services required then they were only to happy to help.
The variety of rooms available was excellent and certainly would suit most requirements as were the facilities for the guests use.
The onsite art gallery and shop were very interesting to browse in between pool, beach and sight seeing and the Restaurant provided a very filling breakfast prepared to order and lovely meals for the rest of your day/evening.
Jean Pierre proved to be a very convivial host and there were some very merry sophisticated dining party nights on the weekend.
i would recommend this establishment for everyone, solo, a deaux, families.........superb!

Room Tip: I found this through a website called samui.sawadee.com and they had very good special offers on at...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
tadley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

I stayed here at the end of a 2 month trip around the whole of Thailand, it was a wind down and also my 30th birthday treat. Throughout my trip i stayed in various standards of accommodation from basic backpacker to 5*. Of all the islands and places i stayed Koh Samui wasnt my favourite, the general prices of food and accommodation on the island are double the price of anywhere else in Thailand. Ban Kao is in the middle of nowhere down a dirt track, you are cut off and need transport or a taxi, the hotel taxi service is reasonably priced but still expensive. We booked the villa with own pool the room and pool were really nice so i cant knock that but for the 2000 bhat a night it cost us to stay there we could of got a similar place to stay a hell of a lot cheaper. We ate in the restaurant had steak which was pretty standard, again the staff didnt speak much english so trying to order a medium rare was difficult. We only stayed for 2 nights and were intending to stay a whole week. If you are the sort of couple who wish to lock themselves away in their room with pool for a week then this place is fine but if you want to get out and about its not for you being far away from it all. Personally i think Chaweng Beach is much better or even one of the better islands Koh Lanta, Koh Samet etc.

• Stayed October 2010
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

What no picture can explain is the terrible smell that is in these rooms and the absolute rudeness that we were shown by management and reception staff. We are very calm people and do not look for any trouble and had been enjoying a 3 week trip around Thailand. This utterly ruined our holiday and I am determined that anyone who is considering staying in this terrible terrible place be warned by voicing this complaint on as many mediums as possible.
My husband and I travel quite alot-luckily we have been on 2-3 holidays per year for the past number of years around the world. In all the places we have stayed this is by far the absolute WORST ever. Where can I start?
Despite emailing in advance as instructed our driver was at the wrong pier to collect us and we had to wait 50 minutes for him to collect us (after being told 10 minutes on the phone!) Upon check in, we were told we must pay in advance BEFORE being shown to our room. I was worried about this as 11,000 THB for 4 nights was quite expensive compared to other accommodation providers in the area. All the same I stupidly paid. We were led to our room in a shaded garden and were met by the worst smell I ever got in any hotel room anywhere in the world. We had a room that was utterly rotting with dampness. Please see pictures that I have also included. What was even more disappointing is that I noticed it was the very room that is advertised on their website. I later found out from a staff member that is because it is the only "Superior double" room in the resort.
We asked the assistant manager to show us alternative rooms as I was far from satisfied with the air quality as a result of this terrible stench. She told us that she herself, had stayed in this very room "only last week and found absolutely nothing wrong with it" I felt I was being told to shut up ! However she did concede that the room was not sufficient and did infact smell of dampness but blamed the recent wet weather and offered NO apology. We were shown to alternative rooms (inc a private villa) which were also overbearingly smelly and one which was still under construction !
The worst is yet to come ! As our stay was over New Year (and our wedding anniversary) we wanted a memorable few days in Koh Samui- we got it but for the wrong reasons. We were the only English speaking guests in the resort and were at no time made feel welcome at the resort. The interior of the dining room was full of people (perhaps friends & family) speaking back and forth to each other and leaving no seating but outside in the garden for us most nights. We therefore decide to visit Lamai beach for dinner each evening. This was a problem for the management apparently as I was called aside by the assistant manager (whilst using public IT access as WIFI does not work despite claims that it is available at a charge -80 THB per hour) to be told that the New Years Eve Gala dinner @ 7,000THB was not optional as described in the email issued to me upon booking but now "Compulsory" She told me that I would be charged for this anyway so she suggested that I "just attend" I politely and calmly explained that my booking did not state compulsory and I had no intention of paying for a meal that I did not want nor at any time book or agree to. I was told that the manager would speak to me the following day and that she expected him to be "not happy". The attitude and threat extended to me, succeeded in upsetting me to tears. When I asked reception 2 hours later at 6pm to call us a taxi to go to Lamai, they REFUSED and said they had no taxi numbers. As we had rented a vehicle for our stay until then, it was our first time needing a taxi since our arrival. When they refused to look up information online for me I contacted a restaurant we had visited the previous night in Lamai (phone number found in Lonley Planet book) and asked them to send a taxi to collect us, which they did without delay.
Upon our return that night (New Years Eve) we found the path -the only route to our room blocked by stacked chairs-see picture. These were still there the following morning when we checked out and had to take our cases through muddy grass to get out.
Other problems not already mentioned-no lounge chairs around the miniscule pool as displayed in the pictures. Breakfast terrible-cold coffee and warm bread called toast. No information except a price list for the spa when asked at reception and at the bar-no staff in spa on 3 visits. Eventually confirmed by male receptionist that only one masseuse available at a time. Treatments were very overpriced in comparison with 5 star spa that I visited in both Lamai and Chaweng. Only one seat outside our room to sit in garden and that was rotten also-see picture.
I believe money is too hard earned to spend on thankless people who should not be in business when customer service so far down on their agenda. I have emailed my complaint to the "hotel" and also to the customer service department of the website that I booked through.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
stoke staffordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

This 'hotel' is in the middle of nowhere (and known by the few locals living in the area as 'the jungle) there are no nearby amenities,and nothing to do or see,its a 20 min walk to the beach,(which was nice and deserted) a long dark and unlit walk down dirt tracks to main road,(and no bars cafes etc once you reach the main road) 500bht taxi ride to Lamai (one way),to any sign of lively activity, the staff speak minimal english,the breakfast is not the usual buffet style but a set menu consisting of 1 frankfurter sausage,1 slice bacon, a fried egg and a slice of processed cheese,small cup of tea/coffee,any extra drinks are charged at 60bht a cup. The meals in the small dining room are paultry and expensive, but you are a captive audience as there is nowhere else around to eat close by. (the cook had to go to a shop on her bike half way thru cooking my meal as she had no ginger!!! ,a Thai kitchen with no ginger???? must be a first) .If you really want to 'get away from it all' then this is for you,otherwise i would not recommend it at all,the only good points about this hotel were that the rooms were clean and the bed was comfy (probably because nobody had ever been and slept there before us) when i arrived here i just wanted to cry,and did not stay the full time we had booked for,and we checked out and booked into a hotel in lamaifor the remaining time we were in koh samui (thank goodness we'd got plenty of books to keep us sane or we'd have died of boredom and loneliness).plenty of lizards( one was living with us permanantly) and snakes roaming round the grounds outside too.The location of this hotel (for us) was awful, and it ruined the beach part of our holiday and we could not wait to get to Bangkok .There didnt seem to any other people staying at this hotel during the time we were there either,we didnt see anyone else apart from the staff there.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Stayed here in November 2009 after a very long day's travelling from Heathrow to Koh Samui via Bangkok.

Over the last couple of days I've decided that I really should start contributing to Tripadvisor as I read it so much when choosing places to stay. Ban Kao Tropical is one of the first places that I am reviewing, for two reasons. Firstly becuase we loved it so much and secondly because when we booked it, there was only one review on the site and it left me a little nervous to say the least because the deal that I got for the room seemed too good to be true!!

But how wrong was I?....We took advantage of a 3 night for the price of 2 offer for a pool room that came with it's own plunge pool inside a walled garden. It worked out at about £100 for the 3 nights, looking at the website for Ban Kao Tropical now it seems a litte more expensive at about £140 but still excellent value for the money.

Let me make this very clear though, Ban Kao Tripical is NOT for those looking for hustle and bustle, nightlife and shops within walking distance. There is a beach nearby which the resort will take you to free of charge and also a convinience store about 5 minutes drive away. Ban Kao Tropical, is though the perfect place to unwind from a long journey and totally switch off from the daily grind. We stayed here for the first 3 nights of our Thailand trip and found it ideal.

The resort is owned by a French Chef who is a bit of a celebrity in Thailand I am led to believe and you can see exactly what he is trying to achieve, the standard of all the rooms and Villas are top notch and we found the food to be very good in the restaurant and cooked fresh to order.

The Pool Room that we had was really good and anything equivalent in England would cost 5 times as much. The room was on a split level with the living area leading out to the plunge pool and the bed a few steps up from the living area. The Bathroom was top drawer and had a very stylish Dragon shower head. Also provided was a TV with satellite which had a few english channels, which if I'm honest you did need at night due to nothing going on outside of the resort.

The spa was very good also and we both used the services of the lady that worked there having a Thai massage which was reasonably priced.

As I said though Ban Kao Tropical really is for those looking to totally unwind, when we stayed we were the only residents for our last two nights.

I have read that someone was not overly impressed by the lack of english spoken by the staff, perhaps I expect different things but I really had no issue. You need to remember that you are in Thailand, having said that we always had access to one lady who worked in the reception area that could communicate with us who sorted both transport from the airport for us and then onwards to Chaweng when we left. I saw that someone's transfer did not arrive at the airport to collect them, I can only speak for ourselves, we arrived at Koh Samui airport at about 9pm and the first person we saw as we exited the airport was the driver from Ban Kao Tropical waiting for us.

Prior to arriving in Thailand I e-mailed Ban Kao Tropical for a couple of reasons and always got a prompt reply and this only helped to impress me. I read Tripadvisor everytime I book a holiday and only ever take note of the bad reviews and worry thinking "what have we done, it's going to be a cockroach infested hole" and then arrive to always find the total opposite......Please take this review for exactly what it is, a glowing review of Ban Kao Tropical that I would not hesitate to reccomend to friends and family and somewhere that I would not hesitate to stay again!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
CYPRUS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

We have booked this residence for our honeymoon trip to Samui.It was our second visit to beautifull Samui but we wanted to try a different kind of accommodation,more secluded and private.And so we booked a 3 bedroom villa at the Ban kao tropical residence and spa just to spoil our selves.It is located in Ban kao area wich is about thirty five minutes drive from the airport.When arriving we had a pick up service arranged(or at least we thought so)but after waiting for fourty minutes no one showed up to pick us up and we took a taxi to the property wich cost us 1.000 baht.When we arrived at the hotel we were given our money back and of course they appologised for the inconvenience.The scenery is beautiful, tropical,isolated and quiet.It has a homey feeling with a small restaurant and a small common pool.Our villa was big, comfortable and it had a lovely small pool just for us!Lots of trees and flowers everywhere as well as mosquitos,ants and gerkos.That of course was not the problem for us.The major question through our 12 night stay was:'Where is the thai hospitality and service?'It was a low season period and we were practicly alone in this property but that is no excuse.The staff at the restaurant (3 GIRLS) were nice,the food was very good but there was a lack of professionalism!They didnt speak english and they didnt understand english either!Even the guy at the reception couldnt help us with anything unless he made a call to someone who could speak basic english!Everything moves slowly and you got the feeling that you are left alone in the middle of nowhere!Thank God we have rented a car and we could drive around.I dont want to leave a wrong impression and i really had a lovely time overall,but i believe that the managment should make some improvements,in the staff ,the breakfast,and the service.It could be great for a trip with friends but i would not reccomend it for couples or solo travelers.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

What can we say but its lovely - small but very lovely. The grounds are so tranquil you really feel like you're the real traditional Thailand. The staff are just so amazingly friendly.

GROUNDS
Beautiful and tropical - hence probably the name

LOCATION
Its in a remote location but if you like tranquil, forest and hills looking over beautiful views, and near local fishing villages then this is perfect.

ROOMS
Very spacious and decorated in traditional thai style with modern touches. Room with seprate living area equiped with TV, video, Hi Fi, well equiped fridge. large bathroom, private small terrace.

We loved this hotel and couldn't believe what you got for the price. Definately would recommend and would stay again.

How could I forgot... the staff! They were so calm, friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Rooms and location
  • Disliked — I didn't have enough time there
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ban Kao Tropical Boutique Residence & Spa? Share your experiences!