“Best detox spa ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #163 of 310 hotels in Ko Samui
sausalito, california
“Best detox spa ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

Ban Sabai was simply the best detox spa I could have asked for -- offering personalized attention, valuable detox information, unbelievable body treatments and the most gorgeous setting for quiet self-reflection, nurturing the soul, beauty everywhere, and superior service every day. I felt like I was in the REAL Thailand, with old wood teak buildings and stunning artifacts throughout. I left feeling thinner, rested inside and out, and clearer about my life and my happiness. Ban Sabai -- it just doesn't get any better than this!
Marcia Jaffe, President, Bali Institute for Global Renewal

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Thai first
Edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

I have just left the Ban Sabai Big Buddha retreat after cutting my stay early.

The website for Ban Sabai promotes an idilic beachside resort with various spa packages and treatments available. Whilst this is strictly true, I did not feel that the experience the hotel promotes is the one visitors will get.

It's a very small hotel "retreat and spa" made me think it was larger but it only has 3/4 rooms. My room was basic at least. The door had a padlock and there was little lighting in the lobby meaning it was near impossible to find my door after dark, but with the help of my mobile phone light. The room had bared, non glazed windows and the outdoor bathroom is overlooked by the adjacent property, which provides no privacy. The TV and fridge wouldn't work because the plug wouldn't stay in the slot and the A/C was useless given the open windows.

I had hoped for some sociability as a single traveller but I think I was the only people staying on the first night and one of only two or three the second night. I didn't see another customer the whole time I was there. It is not possible to walk to the nearest village (Fisherman's village) as it is about 8km along a very busy road and reception closes about 6pm when the main doors are shut (another padlock) which seemed impossible to close from the inside. Breakfast (included) is served at your room as there wasn't any comunal dining are I could find.

On the plus side they do offer free airport transfers and the staff are very accommodating and the breakfast was very nice. They have (intermittent) free wifi.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I booked into this hotel with the intention of a 3 day detox. When i arrived i was told that i couldn't do it because i hadn't made it clear in my booking -although my booking stated "I would like to do the 3 day detox." The owner was really rude to me and really upset me. I said I wanted to leave if I couldn't do the detox but they refused to refund my money.
Although the rooms were nice, there r only 3 rooms on the very small complex - so there wasn't any one to socialise with.
Although i was totally miserable stuck here paying a very high price just to stay in a room - the staff were really kind to me.
Don't come here alone!
And be careful u have arranged treatments verbally.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Been to Ban Sabai Big Buddha Retreat & Spa? Share your experiences!