“Words can't describe!!!!! ” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 stars 2,066 Reviews
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
A TripAdvisor Member
“Words can't describe!!!!! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2014 NEW

Wow!!!!! What can I say! My husband and I planed this "keeper for a day" during Christmas! Wow wow wow! The staff sak and pat and all the others are simply amazing!! Well worth the money! You get picked up from your hotel and head straight into the mountains! Once you arrived you are met with free walking elephants and babies where you are given sugar cane and bamboo to feed them freely! Don't even bother to o any where else just to simple "throw" buckets of water on elephants this place is heaven! Yes you get to ride them through the jungle and the teach you how to do it properly but before you even get to do that you have to go through the steps making sure your elephant is healthy and happy they treat them so well the lunch is amazing and th water fight in the river was great! We really hope to visit pat and his family again soon!!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
“Nothing else quite like it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2014 NEW

My wife and I went to Patara on our honeymoon after being recommended by a friend and we're so pleased we did! We'd heard that a lot of places treat elephants unkindly, but at Patara they seem to really care for them. The main guide was really friendly and funny, and the staff all made us feel very safe throughout the day. The elephants themselves are very docile and playful - particularly the babies.

My wife and I shared an elephant which made it a fair bit cheaper, but bear in mind there's only really one comfortable place to ride an elephant, so if you do share you might have to take turns! There's a guide with each elephant all the time. Our guide didn't seem to speak very much English, but the main guide came to check we were ok frequently, so it wasn't a problem.

There were something like 20 guests on the day we went (I think all of them also English-speakers), but they split us into 2 groups.

Provided you with water all the time and a great lunch. They also give you a CD at the end with loads of pictures on, which was great, but probably worth taking your camera as well all the same.

Thoroughly recommend - well worth the money!

Brooklyn
“Best day of our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2014 NEW

Spending the day taking care of the elephants was truly magical.

I was nervous about riding the elephants, as even horseback riding is scary to me. I was assured that I could walk with my elephant if I was too scared to ride. I ended up staying on and had the best time.

I also did a considerable amount of research before selecting Patara after hearing horror stories about the elephant camps in Thailand. Patara was listed as the most humane camp to ride the elephants. I didn't see any signs of mistreatment while I was there either.

Highly recommended!

Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2014 NEW

The park is well run. The animals are treated kindly and are clearly very healthy. The staff is fun and engaging. It's a fantastic experience that should not be missed.

Chicago, Illinois
“It's still a show”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2014 NEW via mobile

We chose Patara after doing a lot of research on visiting with elephants. I was hesitant since they do riding but we went anyway as we were unable to get in at the Elephant Nature Park. I will tell you what no one else has written. We didn't see any chains but we did see hooks in the ground which we believe are for chains, and the men do carry the bull hooks in their bags. We didn't see them used but we knew they were there. While I believe the elephants are very well cared for and not maltreated, they are still trained to interact with people and to do that they are broken (see videos on YouTube and articles online). They are trained to allow you to climb on them, allow you to wash them in the water, to spray water on you, etc. The entire day is a show and they perform the same routine every day. I understand that the elephant population is declining so this could be better than the alternative, but in the end, it's still a show for tourists so just be prepared for a show.