“A TRULY RECOMMENDED Experience :)” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 293 activities in Chiang Mai
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Attraction Details
Useful Information: Activities for older children
“A TRULY RECOMMENDED Experience :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We got the opportunity to visit Patara Elephant Farm, my husband hesitating a bit if the price we were going to pay was worthy or not.. but for me there was no doubt: that was the experience I wanted to live.. and I'm glad I keep myself strong on that point, cause he was happy also of having the chance to be there that day!!
Before going to Thailand, I really wanted to live an experience like that.. I read a lot of blogs regarding different farms, and so on.. and the reason why we chose them was mainly the treatment animals were having.. and we confirmed it: ANIMALS ARE REALLY WELL TREATED THERE GUYS!! They even have reproduce 7 elephants in 10 year, when the population of elephants in Thailand have been reduced by 50% in the same period of time!! We actually saw 3 baby elephants.. And one big female elephant pregnant .. who has already gave birth :)!! I saw the pic of the baby elephant on their fb page :). The elephants are free during the day.. They don't have chains!!We didnt want to contribute on animal mistreatment.. we wanted to have an experience that was bringing us closer to the nature and Elephants on their natural environment.. rather than to participate in an awful spectacle of animal captivity and mistreatment (you can see offers of Elephants Painting, Elephants playing Basketball.. and so on :S). Our day with the Elephant was more like a schooling day: they thought us how to check of they are in good conditions (healthy and a bit mentally as well.. For instance if the elephant is not waiving his ears he is in bad mood and can be dangerous for people to approach them) .. They tought us how to appoach them as how to win their confidence.. In case there was chemistry!! We even learn how to see by analyzing their poo if they are healthy!! We don't regret.. and we lived and learned that day.. is priceless!! Is an experience that will be always kept in my heart and mind as a precious one.. and If I have the chance one day to go back there with my kids, without no regrets and no doubts.. I'll do it!!

Visited November 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“easily highlight of the trip!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

went to two different elephant places during my chiang mai stay, and I have to say the elephants at patara are 100% healthier, happier, well looked after, and youthful!! Patara really looks after their elephants with love, and in return the elephants gives you a wonderful experience!! I understand that this elephant farm is much more expensive than other places in chiang mai, but it definately was worth every penny!! The lunch provided by the farm was a feast!! the group of us could barely finish 1/3 of the food, which I was glad to know that instead of wasting food, they became a treat for the elephants.

Visited February 2013
“The Best Elephant Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Patara Elephant Farm was an incredible experience for my wife and I. Learning how to understand the mannerisms of the elephants was amazing because you felt like you could almost know what they were thinking. The energy of the staff was calm and assertive so you always felt safe around these huge animals...Soooo cool!

California Hot Springs, California
“The best experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I never had such experience before in my entire life. I truly recommend this place. This is something you cannot miss if you are in Chiang Mai.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“I was with an elephant for the whole day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Picked up early at hotel on the dot. Quality VW V6 Caravelle. 30 mins to Elephant Park and then straight in. You are asked to sign a form which explains that there are some things you agree not to do but also that you are aware that these are potentially dangerous animals and you are in as close as can be! Feeding them by hand, I didn't get my hand out quick enough and it was sucked in up to the wrist. My fault. Then checking the elephant health by squeezing the water out of its poo, looking for sweat coming out of its toenails, giving it water to drink using the hose. Finally, learning how to ask the elephant to get you up on its neck and then instructions how to steer it by voice commands and kicking its ears. You also have to keep telling it 'didi, didi' ( good boy). Then the hard part, up into the jungle, uphill and downhill for 90 mins. No silly soft seat, just a rope to grab when going downhill or lumps on his head when going up. Eventually it's the waterfall pool and you have to get your cozzies on and get in there with a little brush rubbing his/ her back and head down and then go the shallows and do the other bits.
Some great photo shots when you line up with you back to your elephant and Then they get the chance to spray you down.great finale. Lovely lunch to follow, take the food you haven't eaten to your elephant who is waiting outside like a big soft pet, it will spot you and then chance to say goodbye.
Jack the Main guide takes you to an office on the way home and you are given two CDs with loads of superb images from your fantastic day.
If you love animals and elephants and want to contribute to a good cause and get the chance to get in there, don't miss this. I'm not a blow but we've been up with the gorillas in Rwanda, great whites in South Africa and loads of other animal experiences around the world but this one beats them all. It's not an easy day and if you don't like poo everywhere give it a miss. If you don't mind getting stuck in, GET IN THERE!