“Great day!” 5 of 5 stars

Useful Information: Activities for older children
12 attraction reviews
“Great day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Great day, not much I can add from all the other reviews it is an excellent experience and the highlight of our Thailand trip so far.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
12 attraction reviews
“Plan ahead... or you will miss out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Like other reviewers, I loved my day with the elephants. I have done other programs in Chiang Mai and found this to be the best one, by far. It is more like a hands on educational program learning every aspect of looking after the elephants.

You will probably need to plan ahead, we were lucky that we were spending a great deal of time in Chiang Mai and we could fit in when they had spaces available. Patara is very popular and from all the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, its a must do while staying in Chiang Mai.

The elephants at Patara are healthy and happy. This is an important point of the Patara experience as they teach you what to look out for if they weren't. There are no performances involved, just honest quality time with the elephants. Oh... and keep your eye out for their newly born babies.

Words of advice... wear your swimwear, take a towel, a change of clothes, sunscreen and insect repellent. I doubt you will be able to stay dry whilst bathing and brushing them down. But in the end, just enjoy this experience.

Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
18 attraction reviews
“Once In a Lifetime Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was by far the highlight of my 10 day vacation in Thailand. It was everything I could have ever wished for and then some. Patara is by far 'the place' to go if you really care about and love elephants like I do. The groups are small ( 2 groups of 8 or so) You have a genuine elephant mahout experience. You feed, check your own elephant's health inc. poop. Ride your own elephant bareback for 90 mins through the forest. Clean your elephant at the waterfall at the end of the trek. It's hard work and you'll be tired at the end of it all....but such a rewarding experience. Not to be missed if you truly want a close up and personal experience and education about elephants. The owner Mr. Pat and Jack who escorts the group are amazing people. All the mahouts have a huge responsibility and take tip top care of their charges.

Frederick, Maryland
“Help save an elephant and learn to love these amazing creatures for the rest of your life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We planned our entire time in Chiang Mai around this adventure. What an amazing place. Have spent time in Kenya and have adopted elephants at the amazing David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/) . But, never have we been able to spend so much one-on-one time with our elephant and build such a close relationship as you do here at Patara. I like the fact that they limit the group to 10 or so people---you build this amazing bond with your elephants (and their babies) and the others in the group. You learn about the elephants early in the am, feed them, clean them, water them etc. Then, go on the drive through jungle--stop for a huge lunch and then over to the watering hole for a bit of splish splash fun with the elephants. Not for the faint hearted for sure. Swimming in feces infested water seems a bit surreal. I did not think I would actually participate in that part of the day for obvious reasons. But, I did and was frolicking as was all the other folks on the tour. It will be one of the most memborable experiences of your life.

Visited November 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
17 attraction reviews
“Unforgettable Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was my favorite activity throughout my trip around Thailand. They are by far the BEST elephant camp in Chiang Mai and worth every penny. I urge you to book with them as they really treat their elephants with care unlike a majority of other elephant farms in Chiang Mai. The activity "Elephant Owner for a Day" is a fun filled day taking you from feeding them to grooming to bathing and swimming with them (my favorite part) a break for lunch and finish off with a trek through the forest. You finish the day playing with the baby elephants. It is a once in a lifetime experience and is recommended for all groups (families, couples, individuals, etc.). As a bonus each person gets a dvd of photos taken by a professional which were some of the most gorgeous photos we had of our trip.