“Wish we had better sleep...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bodhi Serene Hotel

You added Bodhi Serene Hotel to your Saves list
Bodhi Serene Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Ratchaphakhinai Road, Phra-sing, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
Ranked #37 of 333 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tustin, California
“Wish we had better sleep...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The name one-bedroom suite was a bit misleading. There's no real separation between the actual bedroom area and the TV area...it was just a bigger room. The location is excellent (in the Old City, walking distance to the Sunday Market as well as numerous spas and restaurants). The staff is very friendly and helpful.

There are many reasons why it only got 3 stars on my rating. First of all, our room (#312) was located right next to a small local alley. Every morning around 6AM, the high-pitched squeaking of brakes (either from bikes or cars) would shock and wake us up even though we had a white noise maker muffling out external sounds. The fraustration of waking up so early every morning while on vacation...oiye. Then, our room had issues with door sensor (it would take us upwards of 20 tries to get our key sensor to unlock the door) as well as hot water on the first day (they had to ask an engineer to resolve the problem). What I got most upset about was breakfast. The only two days of my Thailand that I got stomach issues (painful, painful ones!) were the two days that I had hot breakfast at Bodhi Serene. My husband and I shared most meals during our trip except for breakfast at the hotel where we each got our own dishes so we were pretty certain that my stomach pain was not from other restaurants because he would have gotten sick also. On my third morning, I learned my lesson with breakfast and just drank their juice and had cereal, and I was fine. It was definitely stressful for me to be on all-day tours with tummy pain that was so bad that I had goosebumps all over my body...not fun at all.

Overall, I still consider Bodhi a good hotel. My advice would be to stay away from rooms close to the local alley if you are light sleeper and just have cereal or freshly made egg items for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Great place, really peaceful en quiet in busy Chiang Mai. Staff is very friendly, good food at the swimming pool and restaurant (breakfast could be better). Rooms are very spacious, we stayed in the Suite, which had 2 bedrooms (with a walk in closed), 2 bathrooms (with enormous baths) and a nice living room with balcony. Really beautiful!

Room Tip: Take the suite instead of two separate rooms for sure!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We booked here because of excellent reviews on trip advisor.

Pros:
Location right in the middle of old quarter and walking distance from temples, shops, restaurants
Service is fantastic especially Tip at the tour desk who recommended and arranged massages as well as a private car for us.
Large spacious rooms with English tv channels (rare even for hotels in Bangkok)
Pretty pool on the 2nd floor and nice lobby area
Free pick up and drop off from airport

Cons:
Room while large a bit dated with very firm beds
Breakfast while good in variety was average in taste

But hey, we come to chiang mai to explore and this is the best place. Private car arranged from the hotel was a great deal at 800baht for 4 hours!!

• Stayed September 2013
waihi beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

lovely to stay at. Very central. Very friendly and helpful staff. Lovely breakfasts. Very boutique - only 3 storeys high. Man on information desk was extremely helpful and provided transport for me to places when I wasn't sure where they were.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Panama City Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Sounds like we got the worse room when we stayed at Bodhi serene hotel ,as our experience was not an enjoyable one. The double bed was very uncomfortable, so much so my boyfriend decided to try the second bed, a single without any sheets or blankets! It was the better option, but... really they needs a clean up and update.

The breakfast was nice.To the contrary, we did not find our hosts welcoming, with the exception of when the bill was paid!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I went here with my boyfriend last year and am returning again. It was such a beautiful room (Deluxe) with a beautiful balcony that overlooked the private courtyard. The location really sold it, situated right in the middle of the old city with massage parlours, laundromats, restaurants and bars all within 2min walk. The staff were lovely and helped with taxis and tour information endlessly. Thank you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here back in January of this year for a total of 4 nights.

The hotel has character on first impressions. Chiang Mai's centre can get quite hectic, and it's a testament to this hotel that it can be so centrally located within the walls of the city, yet provide that feeling of escape and oasis once you enter its grounds. The grounds are quite lush and green lending to a very calming feel.

The rooms, likewise, have a calming ambience, and it really was quite peaceful where we were (one of the top floor rooms). Unfortunately however, we found our room to be showing signs of age. Damaged wood, uneven floorboards, back door that doesn't lock easily, bathtub with stains etc. Perhaps the worst bit, however, was the undeniable smell that came from the toilet at times. Whether this was an isolated plumbing issue with our room or the hotel in general, I'm not sure. Given the positive reviews by others here, it seems like an isolated thing. I make it sound like it's all doom and gloom, when it really isn't as bad as that. The rooms are quite serviceable and are generally quite clean. However, given the price you pay, I'd expect something of higher quality. I caught up with a friend who was staying nearby at another place at about 5 times less the price, and I can honestly say this accommodation was not 5 times better.

Breakfast was a let down. Not really that tasty, and cold, cold, cold. However, they were happy to reheat my waffle and pancake on request. Once again, it just wasn't up to the standard that the hotel sets with its asking price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bodhi Serene Hotel? Share your experiences!