“I came to Thailand and found a home!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Green Tulip House to your Saves list
Green Tulip House
85 Samlan Road, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
Seoul
“I came to Thailand and found a home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

This is by far one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in my travels across the world. This was my first visit in Chiang Mai, and in Thailand alone, so I was a bit nervous about how my vacation would be spent. I only had 5 days in the city before I had to take off, but it was some of the best, most relaxing 5 days I've ever had. Nine, Stella and everyone who works there made me feel right at home from the moment I walked in to the Green Tulip. They showed me my room, got some DELICIOUS red curry into me and helped me figure out the best way to spend my vacation in Chiang Mai.

Starting from the looks alone, this is one of the most gorgeous hostel's I've been in. Bright colors everywhere, wide wooden tables in the lobby/restaurant, beautiful wooden floors in the rooms, a nice terrace to sit out on. It's well-kept, always clean and bright and fresh. Such a nice place to come back to after a long day of trekking and adventuring. The food as well is unbeatable. Fairly good prices, a nice variety of both Thai and Western, and the chef always comes out to make sure you enjoyed it all. Made me feel like I was back home with my mom...

Nine's got a bundle of adventuring booklets and makes you do your homework (though she helps you out a lot as well), and it's pretty easy to find the right tour for you. Not to mention that by staying at the Green Tulip, you get a great discount on everything that you do -- whether it be going to the jungle or watching a Thai boxing match, it's always cheaper booking through them.

I just can't say enough. It's a great deal, not that expensive, good food, amazing people...everyone I saw there was happy to be at home in the Green Tulip. And the best part is, you're in Chiang Mai, which has got to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Enjoy everyone.

• Liked — The people who owned it -- So kind!!
  • Disliked — Nothing. I loved this place.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Aomori
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

I absolutely loved staying at Green Tulip House. The staff here was extremely helpful and welcoming. When I had food poisoning, they specifically catered meals so that I was able to eat them. The staff also knows the city extremely well and was willing to give recommendations in addition to helping me use the bus. When I was leaving and asked where I could find an English bookstore, they invited me to take a book from their library with me. The Green Tulip House goes above and beyond to help their guests.

In addition to the staff, the food is delicious and inexpensive, the rooms are clean and comfortable, and the location is perfect.

• Liked — The staff.
  • Stayed December 2008
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

I don't have a lot to add about the Green Tulip that a million other reviewers haven't already said before me, but you won't regret staying here for a minute! It's immaculately clean, affordable, and Nine and Stella and their team are simply incredible. One night we got to the hotel and wanted khao soy at this great local restaurant they had recommended where we had lunch the day before, but it was closed for dinner, so Stella went into the kitchen herself and made it for us and it was delicious. They were so helpful with booking local activities (and it was actually cheaper to book with them most of the time than going directly to the activity's website) and we never felt any pressure but they made it super easy. We did the Siam Rice Thai Cookery School and the Flight of the Gibbon and both picked us up and dropped us off at the hotel. They helped us hail tuk-tuks and negotiate rates, breakfast was delicious, internet was free in the lobby...I could go on for hours. I recommended it to several people on our travels and will continue to do so! I hope I have the opportunity to go back someday!

• Liked — Clean, friendly staff, lots to do in the area, affordable
  • Disliked — nothing, it was great
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

Have to agree with all the other posts here, great place, great people, lovely clean rooms and just a pleasure to stay at. Nine & Stella are great hosts, so if you are in Chiang Mai, stay here!

If you want hosts who will leave you alone to do your own thing, don't stay here, if you are looking for a family away from home then this is the place.

We stayed in the "best" room upstairs with private bathroom and were very happy with it.

• Liked — Clean comfy room
  • Disliked — Leaving our shoes downstairs
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

So much has been written about this guest house and I have to agree it rates as one of the cleanest ( the floors gleam) friendliest and enjoyable I have stayed at. It was a bit away from the night market etc and the shared showers weren't the warmest but these were small issues and were out weighed by the overall positive experience we had staying here.

Try get a room on higher floors to avoid noise from the restaurant which closes early anyway.

• Liked — clean and safe environment
  • Disliked — coldish showers
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Pros: very clean; very friendly/helpful staff, especially Nine, who provided good suggestions for getting around and for trekking tours; good and filing breakfast (rice soup/two eggs with bacon or sausage/fruit).

Cons: the location on the western side of the old city; not every room has a bath; need to provide your own soap/shampoo.

This is what a guesthouse should be-clean and friendly. We stayed in the rooms on the ground floor, which have their own baths. Rooms had A/C and free wireless internet. As expected, the rooms were rather noisy since they were right behind the check-in desk, and the place where guests are requested to leave their shoes before going upstairs. The location is a solid half hour walk to the night markets and there are only a few sights (temples) and nice restaurants/shops in the immediate vicinity, but red songtao taxis are freely available and cheap.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Swindon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

I decided to stay here based on the feedback that was listed on TripAdvisor. When I arrived I was blown away how nice the place was.
Absolutely spotless clean and a very friendly environment. From the moment I arrived there I felt at home.

The location of the guesthouse is perfect for exploring Chiang Mai. Make sure you book trips through the guesthouse as they provide excellent recommendations.
Nine and Stella the owners are wonderful people and do everything possible to ensure your stay is a happy one.

I stayed 6 nights and thoroughly loved this place and I was actually very sad to leave at the end of the stay.

I visited 3 countries on my travels and this place was the highlight of my travels.

I will definately stay there again.. It is so refreshing to find a place like this that actually care about the guests and take a lot of effort to ensure people's stay is wonderful.

WELL DONE GREEN TULIP HOUSE....... Missing you all already !!!!

• Liked — The hotel staff were wonderful
  • Disliked — Leaving at the end of my stay - It was such a nice place !!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Green Tulip House? Share your experiences!