“Beware” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 502 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

In November 2012 I booked a 6 night stay for February 2013. Everything seemed to go well in the booking process with Gilles, the owner. He did not ask for a deposit and the email responses were cordial. The problem arose when my wife and I arrived on February 26, 2013. We were told by the lady at the desk that the toilet in the room they had reserved for us was broken and they had no other rooms available. She said Gilles had sent us an email about this. I had real time access to my email and had checked it 2 hours earlier and had nothing. Gilles was not there at the time. She then said she would go down the street to "see if she could find us another place to stay". (her words, not mine). She returned and took us to another guest house and turned us over to the desk clerk and promptly left. Although the room was not exactly what I would have chosen, I decided to take it rather than sleep in the street. To his credit, Gilles did search us out later that evening, I guess to discuss the situation. I asked him why he didn't send us an email, and he said because we were traveling. By not sending me an email, any option to try and book one of the other places that I had looked at was denied me. I bid Gilles good evening as I had nothing further to say. My wife then said "We trusted you and you let us down" He got irate, shouted "what do you want me to do, give you a room with a broken toilet?" and stalked off. I am not unreasonable. I understand things break and are out of management's control. BUT, why weren't we notified and most importantly why did they not book another place rather than wait till we arrived and "try to find another place for us to stay". We arrived at 2 PM. I believe if we had arrived at 8PM it is possible that other places would have been booked and we would have been dumped into the street to sleep. Poorly handled. I noticed Trip advisor gave this establishment some sort of award in 2012. I suggest my situation be reviewed before issuing any more awards to the All in 1. If you decide to book here and something like this happens to you, keep in mind you might find yourself sleeping in the street. My advice, take your business elsewhere!!

GK South Carolina, USA

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
zinegilou, Manager at All in 1 Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
if someone wants to see the negative side of internet reviews, this is one. This courageous gentleman gives us, confortably seated behind his computer, a TERRIBLE rating just because we had broken toilets and because he was not informed hour by hour about the evolution of the situation during his trip. TERRIBLE WHAT?
we would have given to this gentleman a room with broken toilets, it would have been interesting to see our rating, for sure TERRIBLE as well.
to my point of view, i would have said, helas, this can happen, thanks for helping us to find a room during a very very busy period and sorry for the broken equipment. his comment : we prefered keeping the room instead of having to sleep on the street is highly and simply LAUGHABLE.
He did not want to hear, did not want to speak, it was simply unacceptable to have broken toilets

morality : dont be fully booked with broken toilets in a room, because you become TERRIBLE

i give to this comment the following rating (quizz :O) I---T and sorry for the TERRIBLE broken toilets :O)

Terrible Gilles, All in 1 Guesthouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Blackwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

A terrific guesthouse in a great location within the old city, near numerous temples, bars and restaurants and close to "walking street" and other amenities. Excellent sized, clean rooms, light and airy with fan, a/c, TV and fridge. A tranquil garden for a lazy breakfast or late night drink, free wi fi to stay in touch and superb, helpful staff. Would definitely recommend and will be staying again in the future.

Room Tip: 1st floor and corner rooms light and airy
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We loved All in 1 because of the large and clean room, with TV and fridge, very cute sitting area and bar, free computer use, friendly owner and staff. The location is within the old city and along a small side street. The old alley ways are a maze and you could easily get lost but after a couple days of walking around and by using a map you can get oriented. The winding alley streets are lined with adorable bars, restaurants, massage....
We had a room on the corner with large windows and balcony along two walls. Great value.
We enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Dash restaurant which is very close to All in 1.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Nice location and very good guesthouse. We stayed there several days. Very clean room and friendly staff. Always there is we need information. Good internet and very near many mak\rkets, temples, restaurants. But a little too near bars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Found Gilles and his staff to be very friendly and helpful , Gilles has a good knowledge of the area and can offer lots of advice. Booked a full day trip with them and the cost was the same as all the tour operators. Rooms are clean and functional and the hotel is Well place for walking to bars and eating places etc. we stayed 7 nights and would return.

The only downside is that it has no views as it is in a small side street

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toulouse, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We spent 4 days in this place in december 2012. We found clean room, nice stuff and helpfull owener. The location of this guesthouse is pretty good. Other good points: loundry service, internet, bar and possible breakfast. Two weak points of the room we had (2nd floor with fan): noisy night because of some bars in neighbourhood and ihigh temperature in the room n the afternoon ( difficult to do some short siesta ;-)).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Excellent location, near to the centre and markets. The weekend walking markets are just round the corner. The room was clean and simple with a fan and bathroom with hot shower. The staff are really friendly and make an effort to make you feel at home and are willing to help with any problems or advice you need and book trips if required. Giles, the French owner, is very welcoming and speaks Thai, French and English. The small garden area at the front of the guesthouse is a relaxing and peaceful place for a drink or coffee.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to All in 1 Guesthouse? Share your experiences!