“Friendly, clean, and great value” 4 of 5 stars

Chiang Mai Thai House
5/1 Thapae Road Soi 5 | Changeklan Subdistrict, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand   |
Ranked #253 of 537 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Friendly, clean, and great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights & were very happy with the experience. The rooms are large, fastidiously clean, and the staff are super friendly and helpful. Sure, they may try to sell you a tour, but they also accept a friendly "no thanks" without a problem or any push back.
If you stay more than a night you can expect your room to be cleaned lickedy split.
Some of the first floor rooms have lovely little private gardens (albeit with tacky decorations).
The sheets are clean & new, and the towels are plush & unstained.
The salt water pool is also a nice perk.
I'd give the hotel five stars but for the fact that it can be a bit noisy. They run the vacuum seemingly all day long & into the evening (but not before 8-9 am), and the staff communicate between floors via walkie talkies that can be a bit annoying.
I'd most certainly stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I had a really good experience at the hotel. The main worker always made sure to talk to me and offer me a drink. He made sure to call me by name whenever he spoke to me. The hotel is nicely decorated and the rooms are clean.

They operated a jungle trek from the hotel. It is not for children! I took the 3 day, 2 night trip. Walked up to local tribes through the jungle and up huge hills. The tribes were fascinating! On the second day we tracked down hills and visited waterfalls. On the final day I rode Elephants, White water rafted and Bamboo rafted. The best time of my life and I only paid 1500 Baht for it. Do not pay the extra for the Long Neck Tribe, it is not worth it.

Anyway, the only thing about the stay I did not like were the cold showers and the fact that a friend I met that was staying had money stolen from their room, but to be honest you should never leave valuables in your room.

Room Tip: Do not leave valuables in the room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Exmouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

i stayed here for 7 days initially, then extended our stay for an extra 2 days. the staff are extremely helpful and welcoming, always with a smile on their faces. the food is all cooked fresh and to order and is very reasonably priced. the room that we had was a room for 2 with a fan, the room was well kept and clean, as was the bathroom. you can use the internet for free and the pool and sunloungers were a welcome relief from the chiang mai heat!

some people are too quick to complain, and not enough people review when they have had a great time. so i would recommend this to all kinds of travelers.

Gangneung, South Korea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Save yourself the torture and stay at one of the many other lovely and appropriately priced guesthouses in the area. It's not worth the money at Chiang Mai Thai House. They pressure you to book tours, they nickel and dime you at every turn. Checkout time is 10am, unheard of! The staff is rude and very unhelpful and uninterested unless you're booking something extra. After already having breakfast at their restaurant we asked for a lunch recommendation, they said eat here! After our reply they could barely think of a place to recommend and after finally giving the name of one place, it didn't exist! They're only interested in taking your money. They don't understand appropriate customer service, and we weren't asking for much, just the basics. Stay away from this nasty guesthouse. Your money is served better elsewhere, ie. a place that is friendly and appreciative of your business.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Trenton, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel is situated in a neighborhood with many, many guest houses, so please, do not stay here! My sister and I stayed there for three nights and thought it was ok, until we were woken up and told we had ten minutes to get out of the room and yelled at by one of the staff over the phone. We had booked the hotel for 3 nights, but wanted to stay a fourth. When we went to get our key to go to bed the night before, we told the man that we wanted to stay another night. Well I guess he never wrote it down. Because the day staff didn't know. Instead of being kind, they rang our room and started yelling that we had to leave in 10 minutes. The manager made my sister cry! I could not believe in such a friendly country where everyone seems to have a smile, that these staff members were so rude and mean. We had been great customers, eating in their restaurant and even booking a cooking class with them. But they treated us like criminals for no reason! Skip this place and go somewhere else. We found a room for half the price, with swimming pool and wifi only 1 street over (Thana Guesthouse).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Vang Vieng, Laos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

very good value very nice food owners really helpful friendly not 1 bad thing to say about this place lots to do in this area if you are thinking of thailand jan feb is best time to come. everything 3 times more pricey in peak season but still cheap depending on if you are travelling around or just staying for 1 or 2 weeks

Zaandam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

When you enter Chiang Mai Thai Guesthouse there is a little statue of some frog like animal. A very big mouth with the teeth of a shark are welcoming you. The beast has eyes which seem to drop of his head. Welcome to Chiang Mai Guesthouse.
By telephone I tried to make a reservation for a hotel in Chiang Mai. Not possible. All full. At last there was somenone who said yes, the manager of Thai Guesthouse. This guesthouse was not my favourite after reading some of the reviews but when there is no place what to do? And are there not in every review people who are complaining? So I said yes.
I started with the normal business, filling in the papers. Then I asked if I could see the room before signing. So we went to the fourth floor to look. It was a small room, hardly place for your luggage, but well there was a swimming pool so why not.Five days swimming in hot Chiang Mai. A nice future. I thought.
'You pay me now five nights in advance,'the manager told me. I was shocked. In my experience only hotels where is something wrong ask their money in advance. When you don't like, you can go, but you have paid.
So I said no to the manager and told him about my experiences with bad hotels.
I told him I could pay every day in advance, if he feared I would run away. No, this was not possible. No pay, no room.'Ok,'I said: 'no room''.
In the meanwhile I saw a notice in big letters announcing: checking out time is 10.00 am. Never seen this before in a hotel. Perhaps in my youth, very, very long ago, in a youth hostel.
I searched for another notice. 'All lights out at ten'. It was not there, but I am sure it will come.
We took our luggage and walked out of the hotel in the glaring sun in a very hot Chiang Mai.
We passed again this little frog with his shark teeth. Now I understood the meaning of this statue better. It was the manager in perhaps another life.
What to do? Walking. Some hundred meters further there was a hotel, Inter Inn. They had a room. Yes.' Could I see?' Yes of course the lady of the hotel said very friendly. The room was twice the size of Thai House and the price half of Thai house. And nice people, friendly always helping.Next to the inn is a cafe, The Garden, for breakfast, lunch. Great food, nice people.
We escaped from state prison no 1 in Chiang Mai tot a paradise round the corner.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chiang Mai Thai House? Share your experiences!