“Great Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Peninsula Hotel Chiang Mai

You added Royal Peninsula Hotel Chiang Mai to your Saves list
Royal Peninsula Hotel Chiang Mai
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9/9 Assadathorn Road,Si Phum, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand (Formerly Royal Peninsula)   |
Ranked #141 of 330 Hotels in Chiang Mai
3.5 of 5 stars 123 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
“Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Quite similar to the near-by Royal Panerai Hotel but in slightly better shape. My room was large and clean, and I got a very comfortable sleep. This may be in due, in part, that when I was there, the hotel seemed to be empty (guess I was traveling during a quiet time). The hotel is a ten to fifteen minute walk to the center to town and a twenty minute tuk-tuk ride to the airport.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

This hotel is one of the oldest in the Royal chain and the facilities show wear and tear in the rooms. The staff is friendly and helpful and I would recommend staying here for a short visit. I stayed here for 3 nights from April 30th to May 4th. Luckily there is transport outside the hotel if you need to get into the inner city, walking is a little hazardous from this locale. If you are staying for over a week, seek a better hotel, but for short term, its adequate.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

The maps and location is quite far from the night baazar. You need a taxi to go there or else take 40 minutes to walk there one way. Nothing around the hotel except to eat in the hotel if you choose not to go out.
The hotel is very old and all the hotel amenities are very run down not like what was shown in the pictures. The hotel has misled the tourists to stay there, it is not worth the money paid to stay there. Room is very small and all the amenities in the rooms like shower room, only a curtain half hanging, no hot water or tea making in the room, no tea cups, bath toiletry crabby, no hand tissue paper provided etc. The bed are very low and lighting very dim and room very small.
I believe the pictures taken more 20 years ago and has not been updated. The gym equipment all worn out and have not been replaced, only one tredmill machine working and the location of the gym room very dirty and wooden floor soiled with pieces of rubbish here and there, even a rat ir running across the room.
You will only see the crab if you are there, really uncomfortable, dirty and we felt being played out. Not worth to select this hotel unless they do a major uplift in the hotel.
The only plus point is staff, in the tourist industry us friendly.

Room Tip: To ensure you are not cheat out, it is better to know how old the pictures of the hotel are inserted...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel twice within the space of three weeks and only had two major issues, which were that the gym machines were not fit to use when I arrived at the start of February and were still not fit to use when I returned at the end of the month and the pool was way too small. The hotel seemed close enough to attractions such as Art in Paradise and the temples.

Breakfast was decent enough, the rooms were clean and tidy and wifi was very good. There was an error with our first booking which they were unable to resolve first time round (they booked me and another volunteer into a double bed and had no other rooms available, meaning I had to sleep on the sofa) but they didn't repeat the mistake second time round.

I only stayed here as it was included as part of a volunteering package; it may be suitable for couples on a budget but is over and above what a backpacker would ever need, and I probably wouldn't choose it myself.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Having booked a room with 3 beds I was disappointed to have to wait for the extra bed to be brought in upon check-in, but this was done reasonably efficiently. The extra bed was unfortunately just a rollaway bed with a thin foam mattress, completely not to the same standard as the other beds. When I mentioned this to the reception staff they gave me the option of paying extra to upgrade, however they were not interested in assisting by simply putting my group in a room with 3 equal quality beds, which is what I consider I had paid for. With the extra bed, it was quite difficult to move around the Superior Room, which was a fairly average size.
I had also requested a quiet room but was placed in a room facing the street. The noise wasn't too bad but still, a bit of attentiveness and care from the staff wouldn't have hurt.
Nevertheless the pricing at this hotel is quite reasonable and I'd say it's good value for money if you don't mind the short walk (approximately 10-15 minutes) into the old city.
Beds were the typical hard Thai bed, but not uncomfortable.
Most of the rooms seemed to be interconnecting, which I personally don't like. There were a couple of times when I could hear my "neighbours" and the plumbing in their room, but again it wasn't constant. I guess it depends on who you get next door!
Rooms were equipped with an LCD TV and a safe.
WiFi Internet worked well, and there was a reasonable selection of television channels, mainly Thai of course but there were some English options as well as a couple of other languages from memory (French and German I think).
Breakfast had a good selection and food was fresh every day. I enjoyed reading some of the "Engrish" signs describing the breakfast foods.
The pool was OK. Quite cold and it had a fair amount of leaves in it due to the large trees overhead.
Water pressure in the shower was good, though the electric water heater struggled a little at times to maintain anything over a warm temperature. It was never cold though.
Housekeeping was good, although they didn't replace the drinking water unless they got the previous day's glass bottles back. This was annoying as I took my drinking water with me so kept coming back to a room with no drinking water for the next day. I understand that glass bottles need to be returned as they get recycled, but obviously housekeeping thought I didn't. They also didn’t seem to get the rooms done till quite late in the day (after 3pm).
The split system air conditioner kept the room cool but had seen better days. We had some initial teething problems and the air-swing didn't work, but it wasn't anything unbearable.
The balcony had a window installed which helped a little with noise insulation, but with the air conditioning compressor located on the balcony, it doubled as a sauna! Anyway it was handy in the end as it took no time to dry my clothes on the balcony!
The carpark got full on a number of nights so I don't know how they cope in the thick of high season, but I had no dramas.
In summary, I thought this to be a reasonable value option. I was a bit disappointed to begin with but the place kind of grew on me. I'd stay there again if I needed to. It was nothing exceptional, but it didn't disappoint. The strong points for me were the breakfast, the location wasn't too far out of the old city, and it was clean. If you want to be pretty much at Thapae Gate then I'd consider the Amora Tapae which is a couple of hundred Baht more expensive (but it seems to now get a lot of Chinese tourists), but if you don't mind walking, riding or catching a songthaew for a short distance then the Royal Peninsula is worth considering.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on 26Jan2014-28Jan2014. The staff at the hotel were really nice to us and they really made the effort to understand us at all times, even with the language barrier. We booked a trip to spend the days around elephants, doing some rafting and visiting the hilltribes and the guides were also very nice and punctual. There are lots of agencies in Chiang Mai to take this trip, but this hotel offered really competent prices and you could book with just half a day in advance, unlike other agencies which asked for minimum one week notice and where much more expensive (they might be better though, I don't know).

The rooms are spacious and you have everything you need. We got a Superior Room and we were happy with it, except for the shower, since they had either cold water or mild water. The second day we discovered that it was due to the shower pressure, so if you open water with all possible pressure, hot water won't come out (just mild), so you need to open hot water with low pressure and then it's fine. At least in our room it worked that way.

We didn't pay for the breakfast but once there we fancied one so we paid it and we repeated every day. Breakfast is really good and not expensive, and at night they had live music there sometimes. Highly recommended.

The location is good. Pretty close to the walls (about 10-15 min walk, tops), although I wouldn't walk there if there's a tuk-tuk around. If you negotiate prices are really cheap and they save you a lot of time.

We checked out the swimming pool in the evening but it was so cold for us that we didn't stay there for long. It was refreshing though but be careful with the mosquitoes at that time of the day. We also used the laundry/ironing service and it was really good. Not expensive at all and we got our clothes clean and ironed the following morning.

We requested a late check-in as our plane arrived in Chiang Mai late at night and we didn't have any problems to find the hotel/check-in. Everything was quick. We also requested views to the swimming pool and balcony, but we got views to the road and the windows couldn't be opened. I'm not sure if all rooms are like that though.

To sum up, we recommend this hotel and we would surely stay there again if we go back to Chiang Mai. It was a nice stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

This hotel was terrible. The lobby was clean and we thought the rooms would be just as nice. The floors were nice and clean but the room has holes in the ceiling. There were holes in the sheets, the power points were faulty. This hotel has more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese. We asked for another room, hoping we would get another one sans holes. But the staff took us to the same room again! Anyway, the only good thing was the free wifi, which we used to book the le meridian (awesome) down the road.

• Stayed February 2014

Been to Royal Peninsula Hotel Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!