“Lovely Quiet Spot in Chiang Mai” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Baan Orapin Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Baan Orapin Bed and Breakfast
You added Baan Orapin Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
150 Charoenraj Road, | Wat Gate,, Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand   |
Ranked #9 of 503 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Republic, Washington
“Lovely Quiet Spot in Chiang Mai”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 nights at Baan Orapin in April, 2013. Based on TA reviews, we gave it a try. One of the things we definitely wanted was a quiet place to sleep. Baan Orapin is truly a small oasis in a busy city. I didn't look in any other rooms, but ours was a junior suite on the ground level in the back. The room had its own bath, a small drybar with frig area, and its own little covered patio. Everything was clean and in good condition, although the tv was an older model with dodgy reception.

The furnishings in our room were not luxurious, but very nice-some traditional style Thai pieces including a 4-post bed with mosquito net. Unlike some other commentors, we didn't have a problem with mosquitos in our room. Our room was located in the building in the back of the property, all the buildings being connected by pathways and lovely landscaping. The pool was located somewhat in the center of the central courtyard area, and adjacent to the main building where they also served breakfast. One disappointment was that the pool was closed for two days right after we arrived, while they were cleaning it. Those were two of the days that we had available to 'hang out by the pool.' It would have been nice to have some advanced warning that it would be closed.

The staff at Baan Orapin was very helpful in recommending several things, including a dentist. The one Opas recommended did an excellent job (Dental 4U). Also, Pepsi was extremely helpful with a number of our questions. It was really great to stay in a place where we felt comfortable and secure as well.

I would definitely recommend Baan Orapin as a quiet place to stay in Chiang Mai, the main con being that it's somewhat more expensive than many other places there. We would absolutely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear of the property are quieter. Also, rooms on the second floor probably have better...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in July 2012. Loved it and would go back! The room was- a tiny villa! No kitchen but a nice sized bathroom, little sitting area with a tv and free wifi. Breakfast was delicious and I highly recommend trying the northern breakfast but you'll need to order it a day ahead. It was in a quiet location but lots to do in walking distance. My husband left some of his wallet contents in the room and they express shipped it to us- no problem. Talk about service! The lobby has flyers if you're looking for more to do. Stay here. You won't regret it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is our third stay here (last time five years ago). Delightful family run place in the grounds of the old family home. All of the rooms we've stayed in were very comfortable. This time we had a deluxe junior suite which had a separate shower & bath, a large seating area overlooking the pool area,and a comfortable four poster bed. We were made to feel very welcome and would highly recommend staying here. Breakfast is served in the original house and on the deck by the pool.All freshly prepared. Situated near the river with lots of good places for dinner within easy walking distance. Hope to stay again very soon.Stepping through the gates is like entering an oasis-very calm,quieter and cooler than outside.

Room Tip: All of the three rooms we've stayed in are lovely and comfortable ,beautifully appointed in the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I recently stayed here solo for 4 nights, and once again, Tripadvisor pointed me in the right direction. From start to finish, it all went smoothly. They are very prompt in returning emails and detailed. Everything everyone says about the peaceful, tropical grounds is correct, and the property is even prettier in person. The fresh made breakfast is divine by the pool, with different tasty options to choose. I'm going to focus on the rear wing "superior single room," as I could find little specific information on it before arriving. First, on Baan Orapin's website it kindly advises that this room is best suited for one person because it is small. But I can confidently say that it is large enough to accommodate a couple traveling together, and it was absolutely ample space for lil' ol' me! The room was immaculate in cleanliness, and the bed was the most comfortable I had in Asia (downright plush and luscious). The room has comfortable AC, which you control, a television where I found random English movies at night ("Tenacious D" anyone:), decent wi-fi for staying in touch, and even a minibar (40 baht Singha). I also loved the interior decor, and bathroom doors, with a large walk-in shower that was always warm with very good water pressure. Incense was lit on the room's patio porch every evening, and it was lovely to return to after long, hot days of sightseeing. The property is decently located near the night market too. Yes, the streets can be dim and a little hectic with the scooters, but I felt completely safe and comfortable as a lady alone walking to it (I'd say 10 minutes walk, turn left outside Baan Orapin, turn right when you see the river bridge, walk over it and go straight until you see the night bazaar on your left:) I feel like I got more than my money's worth, and I would not hesitate to recommend Baan Orapin again and again to all. It was an absolutely perfect stay.

Room Tip: The Rear Wing Superior Single Room was perfect (and even big enough for two)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

A good place to stay in Chiangmai Mai and helpful service. The manager had been very helpful in advance booking a cook school for us, and was also great when our cycling tour didn't show up.
My only slight irritation was finding out that many of the breakfast options need specified the day before. Fair enough for the freshness of the dishes, but we weren't told this on arrival, and it didn't mention it in the room that I could see. This meant we were limited in what we could order the first morning. Simple enough to fix and perhaps they just forgot when we arrived.
In general, highly recommend.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kathmandu, Nepal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We arrived late and found the staff were waiting for us. They helped settle us into a lovely traditional style room. We felt very welcome. The rooms are large with an adjoining sitting area, balcony, fridge, coffe pot and air con in each room. The rooms are very quiet placed at the back of a very large garden. Breakfast was okay but needs some improvement in selection of jams - home made or locally produced would have been welcome. The swimming pool is lovely especially after a day in heat. The small coffee shop across the road is excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

It really is like time slows down or you've stepped back years when you walk through the gates. The noise fades, suddenly you are surrounded by a lush peaceful garden, walking on old planks in the rooms. This does not feel like a hotel, it feels like an ancient welcoming guest house. It is hard to explain, I suggest you just experience it. Both my husband and I loved it here.
We had a front room for 5 days, it was beautiful and very large. Breakfast by the pool, watching the chubby white bunny was the best way to start our days. Breakfast itself was delicious, western and thai. We walked to the market, it was a nice stroll. We also took tuk tuks there and to run errands. Hired a driver to take us around for a full day once. And spent an overnight at the Elephant Nature Park so Baan Orapin offered a reduced rate that night to keep our things there.

My only negative experience was over laundry, we had a hard time finding someone to ask so we put our clothes in their bag with the card filled out and left in our room. It was still there untouched the next day. Not a big deal. But again when we wanted to pay our bill the afternoon before and arrange an early morning taxi, it was difficult to find anyone to help us, took a couple phone calls actually. I wouldn't say it was a negative but just be aware, use the check in time or breakfast hour to ask question and take care of things. They are extremely pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Baan Orapin Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!