“Delightful, Friendly, Safe” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain View Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mountain View Guest House
You added Mountain View Guest House to your Saves list
103 - 105 Sriphum Road | opposite Chang Pheuk Gate, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
Ranked #156 of 537 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Delightful, Friendly, Safe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I'd like to comment on my most recent stay at Mountain View, my earlier stays, and on some others' reviews.
I have now stayed at MTV five times over the last seven years, usually for a week, once for two months. Student groups from my college have spent two to three months at MTV yearly for the past seven years, most recently in 2013. Do the math and for the total person-nights here we're talking in the neighborhood of five thousand. That is a lot of opportunities to be stolen from or treated badly. I'm happy to say that it hasn't happened to us.
I and we keep coming back to Mountain View because it's a delightful quiet oasis in the bustle of Chiang Mai. The dark teak rooms suggest traditional Thai architecture of a bygone era and aren't meant to imitate Motel 6. One of Chiang Mai's best collections of street food stalls sets up nightly across the moat, with cheap, tasty pad thai, roti, and other delights. If it's far from more Western-style restaurants, it's also nicely removed from the areas most flooded with Western tourists. The beautifully tended trees, ferns, and orchids overlook a central eating area that's great for meeting other travelers. Birds sing in the trees and Tokay geckoes laugh at night. In this leafy refuge you won't believe you're a hundred feet from a major thoroughfare. It's magic on a budget.
We've always found the caretakers kind and responsive to our needs.
And trustworthy. If I had money stolen, I wouldn't return to a guest house either. But even in the U.S., where hotels have heavy steel doors, I make it a point to take my wallet and passport with me when I leave the room. For longer-term storage of valuables, a safe is offered to guests at the check-in desk.
As I mentioned, our thousands of theft-free, safe, comfortable nights let me sleep contently here. At the same time, there are some details in others' reviews that make me question whether there were really multiple thefts, as is the impression I get, or whether it is much ado about nothing. In one of the critical reviews worked up about theft, from Jan 12, 2013, I read: "From a price point I saw that fellow students willing to look around found way better places found and way better rates with nicer staff who were way more helpful & it is quite over priced for the quality of the rooms." Perhaps that's a fair--if garbled--criticism offered on its own, but it smells very fishy when I read in an Oct 3, 2012, review: "From a budgetary standpoint I saw that fellow students willing to look around found better places at better rates with nicer staff who were way more helpful than these." When my students crib from others and try to cover their tracks by changing a word or two, it is usually because they haven't done the reading. When my students do this, I tell them it makes it hard for me to take seriously what they write or say elsewhere. Useful Travelocity reviews describe one's own impressions, not those of others; they are founded on one's own experiences, not on hearsay. Indeed, Travelocity has each reviewer, including Jan 12, "certify that this review was based on [one's] own experience." Maybe there were thefts of money, but reviews like that of Jan 12 create a dizzying hall-of-mirrors effect that certainly makes me wonder.
In the same spirit, I don't want to speak for the many students from my college who have stayed here. I'll just speak for myself. Are the beds hard? Welcome to Asia. Might there be an ant or a mosquito? It's the tropics. But I have always felt safe here. I've always enjoyed the special ambience of the little jungle outside my door. I've always found the staff helpful. And I'll happily stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Woodland Park, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I've stayed here a couple times with my family and groups and we've all enjoyed the place. The deco is very Thai with a great open area for eating. The rooms are clean but very basic. No TV's. Some rooms have Aircon but most only have fans. Prices are very reasonable.

The staff is what made it for us. They were very helpful and responded quickly. Since I had a group they were able to set up a conference room for our meetings. I was able to order breakfast ahead of time so it was ready at a certain time. Every meal we eat there was very good and reasonable priced. The restaurant closes at 7 so if you need food after that there are several good places nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had not looked at the review about this place when I went here. I happened to have chanced upon it while driving around looking for the a guest house. Its decently priced and pretty. The rooms are basic but are spacious, clean and the bathroom are big (shower was leaking slightly). I liked the food that was served here. Since it is covered with greenery the have mosquitoes. Though one can't burn coils in the room, repellent lotion is provided. Though its close to the city attractions there are no eateries around

We were asked to handover the keys for cleaning when we left for sight seeing but then we didn't leave anything important in the rooms so it was ok .
They helped us hire car for a day at reasonable price and were helpful when we needed any information. When were could not find taxi to the bus terminal they helped us hire a red tuk tuk

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I found this place by chance, just walking around and this place catches my eye with the beautiful gardens and the tranquil atmosphere.
The room was simple,good clean standards (some dust on the surfaces but no mold in the toilets and clean sheets), there's a window bit a nice view to the old city entry and well ventilated. Very good deal for a 300B en-suite room with a window,
In the roof is a lovely terrace with a city view, sits and plants to relax. And downstairs is a big garden with sits, tables and plugs(good for the WIFI). Although I had excellent WIFI reception in the room, my husband didn't, so he had to go downstairs.
Some of the staff were very nice, others were OK.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 33 which had a very good ventilation and view to the old walls of the city.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed a week in November and a week in January. Great place. Staff honest and helpful with reccomendations of local events like culture markets etc. Rooms were basic but only paid 300baht for twin room with ensuite and hot water, and the room was cleaned daily. Infact the staff were fab and took my son and I out one of the nights of the festival to watch the parade. Highly reccomend this hotel as cheap, cheerful and safe - exactly what I was looking for!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I Booked At Mountain View Guesthouse because it was listed on the website of the Massage School I studied at had it. While I stayed there 2 of my fellow class mates had money go missing that they had hidden in there bags ( I carried mine with me all the time because there was no safe) The management was not willing to compensate them in anyway and police reports had to be filled out.
The location was great walking distance to lots of temples and the old city, the garden cafe was cute and the food was decent but not great, but that's where the love affair ends!!! When I got in and saw the room my heart sank and I was already planning to look for something else the next day. The room was more Hostel quality than Hotel for sure (although you have your own bathroom) It reminded me of summer camp. The room was large which was it's only plus. I found the room quite dirty actually Mold & mildew in the shower, soap scum on the soap dishes, the shower curtain didn't look like it had been washed in years. Dust and dirty floors in all the corners & surfaces that were high up. it was like the room had only been spot cleaned from week to week and never deep cleaned this is the only place I have EVER stayed where I did not leave a tip for the housecleaning staff when I checked out! The room had AC a fan, and a fridge but that was it. The beds were way to hard (even for Asian beds which tend to be firmer) They had wireless but it cut out often. Staff attitude is erratic...some are very helpful and friendly and some quite the opposite. From a price point I saw that fellow students willing to look around found way better places found and way better rates with nicer staff who were way more helpful & it is quite over priced for the quality of the rooms. I would not stay here again and would not recommend it either!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Mountainview became like home to me on a 2 month stay in Chiang Mai. The staff are all extremely friendly and helpful, willing to go the extra mile whether that is to help you catch your first sorng taow or book a day trip to ride the elephants.
The rooms are simple but comfortable and kept well stocked with all of the essentials. The outdoor dining area set in lush tropical rainforest is an oasis in the busy city bustle. The food is delicious and offers a variety of Thai dishes and western favourites.
Internet is available as unlimited wifi in the rooms or in the computer room near reception which offers a good half dozen computers for guests.
Location wise, it's close to everything and easy to walk to many popular destinations. To get to Night Bazaar or Airport Plaza is only a 20baht sorng taow ride away.
I have returned twice and will do so again this January.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Mountain View Guest House? Share your experiences!