“Best budget value in the area by far” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Libra Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Libra Guest House
You added Libra Guest House to your Saves list
28 Moon Muang Road Soi 9, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
Ranked #59 of 537 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Maui, Hawaii
“Best budget value in the area by far”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I've stayed at Libra a few times on different trips to Chiang Mai. It is by far my favorite place to stay in all of Chiang Mai.

While not luxurious, you get great value for your money at Libra compared to other nearby guest houses. Further the staff at libra is very friendly and helpful. Laundry service is on site (and good for wash/hang dry service) at the same rates you'll find if you wander the soi's looking for dedicated laundry services.

I've stayed in several different rooms and while the beds are "Thai style beds" (not soft and springy) they are on the softer side for what they are. Not quite as soft and comfy as the spring mattress you may be used to back home, but not as hard as many I've come across elsewhere in northern Thailand. It's quite at night (no clubs making noise like in Nimman) and few dogs and roosters making noises in the early morning.

I consider the location to be just about perfect. There are 50+ restaurants, cafes and bars within a 2 minute walk. It's easy to walk to the end of the soi to catch a tuk-tuk or song taew or to turn right and find an abundant selection of street food from Khao Soi and Phad Thai to Rotti and tasty things I don't know what to call.

This area of the old city is highly touristy though, so expect to see about 20 tourists to each Thai person you see around here. It's does make for an easy comfortable base though from which to explore out as far and wide as you like.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

The Libra was instrumental in making Chiangmai Mai the best part of our trip to Thailand. We didn't book anything for Chiang Mai and somehow ended up here. The rooms were very affordable, the service was top notch, the food was great, the trek offered was the highlight of the trip (2 days 1 night) and we met great people. If you're traveling alone or in a group, stay here!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Rooms were cheap and comfortable and the service was some of the best we've seen in South-East Asia. Just genuinely beautiful people who speak perfect English and will go well out of their way to help you out. Will stay here whenever in Chiang Mai!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had agreement that they will pick me at the airport. No one was there and I took a taxi to the Libra.When I arrived they just said " Is it already 1 pm. We think it's just 10 am. because wheather is like this" and they look very tired. Excuse me? Simply sorry is enough for me, because things happens and I understand that. They had my thainumber and could call me also. Room was very noisy. So I spend only one night and moved another guesthouse for 8 nights. Wifi is not good at all.

Room Tip: Do not stay downstairs. Very noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

thanks to libra house for making our stay so pleasant.(Oct 10th) we certainly enjoyed our stay and it set us off in good stead for the rest of our travels. we loved the trek which we booked from libra house and have lasting memories of our first guest house its owners and the information provided. thank you

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Where do I start to tell you about our AMAZING experience in this place??
The always smiling and ever accommodating sisters? The homy feeling of this gorgeous little gem? Or their awesome trekking trip?
I don't like writing reviews like this but believe me there is no other way to describe our experience!
My husband and I (late 20s), stayed at Libra for 5 days in November and absolutely fell in love with Libra and Chiang Mai!
We stayed in room number 109. A sweet and simple room with amazing AC (very necessary) and hot shower.
Upon arrival, Dow and Pouyi sat down with us and asked us what our schedule is and what we would like to do. They helped us plan the several activities we had in mind with ample time for each.
I'll start with our two day trek. We really wanted to do the trek and did so despite being told that "it is difficult. Not a walk in the park!"
All this info was correct. Their trek is indeed difficult. So be prepared! But... It is soooo worth it! The views are magnificent! The tribe villages we stopped at were real! Only one out of three had tourism as income source. The other two were the real thing! Our tour guides Sun Shine :) and the other gentleman, whose name I can not remember unfortunately, were abseil outlet great. Made walking sticks for the ladies out of bamboo cuttings and cooked amazing dinner for us. The first day started with a visit to a beautiful waterfalls and hot springs followed by a 9.some kilometer of aggressive ascend and descends. We arrived at a camp early in the evening where we had our basic bamboo hut accommodation :)
Sunshine and crew were cooking while our group of 11 sat around, drank to our mini achievement and chatted away. After the delicious dinner, we all say around the fire, sang and played guitar and had a great time.
The following morning we had our breakfast followed by bating the elephants and a short ride, which was absolutely amazing!!! :)
After that we did a 2.5 hour bamboo rafting which was very relaxing for the most part ;)
One important thing I learnt: let them arrange your transfers (tuk-tuk or otherwise). Much better price all the time!!
Overall our experience at Libra was excellent and we will definitely stay there when we're back in Chiang Mai. This stay left us with an amazing first expression of Chiang Mai and Thai people in general and we hope it does the same for you :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ljubljana, Slovenia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We came to Libra guest hause in november. We were so dissapointed. The room didn`t have any closet so you can have your clouting in your bagpack or on the small table where it was no space at all.
The bad was so unconfortable (hard mattress).
When you came to the badhroom you have small place to shower. When you showering  the wather drop on the toilet, so it is all wet.
The room has 2 window but no glass on it.
WiFi was so slowly and every day you must go for the new username and pass. But afterall when you want to sing in you must try a 5-10 times to log you in.
In the room you have only one electrical socket.
It was only two positive  thing in this guesthause - they have a good air con and fan and the room was clean ( but in 5days we stay here they never clean the room).
My opinion is that you can get a lot much better for the same cheap price. So we leave and go to Mandala hause where you get for the almost the same price much more and better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Libra Guest House? Share your experiences!