“absolutely gorgeous” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dusit D2 Chiang Mai

You added Dusit D2 Chiang Mai to your Saves list
Dusit D2 Chiang Mai
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Chang Klan Rd | Chang Khlan, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand   |
Ranked #21 of 330 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Australia
“absolutely gorgeous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2006

I just had to add my recommendation for the D2 hotel to this forum. It was absolutely faultless. Yes, it's modern but I don't believe that this detracts from the Thai experience. Certainly it's not old/traditional Thai but I think it perfectly reflects the young and modern Thai. Just as the Raffles in Singapore and the Peninsular in Hong Kong etc are old/traditional hotels but the newer hotels such as Raffles Plaza or Westin are modern Singapore, I think the D2 is very Thai but up to date with the new generation. It certainly doesn't detract from the "Thai Experience" but rather adds a new dimension.

The staff are everything you'd expect of Thailand - warm, friendly and hospitable. The D2 also displays wonderful touches of the Thai's excellent sense of humour - welcome drinks were served in round bottom glasses which swivelled around on the tray (assisted by the smiling waiter). The lamp shades in the foyer are tilted at a precarious angle and the bar is decorated with huge acrylic "ice cubes". Attention to detail is evident in every corner, nook and cranny. The hotel is comfortable and welcoming while at the same time being elegant and spotlessly clean.

There is a terrific reading room with tea and coffee and board games. The pool, while small is lovely and there is even an attendant who sets up the deck chair when you arrive ... one wouldn't want madam to have to lay out her own towel would one? They even offer a complimentary 5 minute shoulder massage beside the pool along with herbal tea.

Location is perfect - 50 metres from the night market/'bazaar but the hotel is relaxing and peaceful.

The whole aura of the D2 is minimalist luxury and although I'm usually a "traditional girl" I loved every minute of my stay.

• Liked — cleanliness and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — book 7 nights and get a suite upgrade while available
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2006

Great place to stay, very cool decor, great facilities, excellent staff as you would expect in Thailand. Bear in mind that this is a modern and quite funky hotel so it probably fits better with people of a younger mindset.

Would love to go back and probably will one day.

• Liked — Decor, music and service.
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat out in Chang Mai, it's cheaper than any hotel ever will be, but do try the hotels cocktails
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Perrine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

What a gem. This hotel is right out of the pages of Wallpaper or some other trendy design magazine. The service was excellent, almost fawning, ready to cater to your every need. We were given a free upgrade to a junior suite because the hotel was full. Little touches include a daily gift basket our were cookies, incense and candied lycees. The restaurant is nice if a bit pricey in comparison to the rest of the city but the breakfast is a not to be missed experience. The location in Chiang Mai can't be beat.

• Liked — Service, design, cleanliness
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

What a great hotel. There was nothing about it that we didn't love. At check in we were greeted by Gig the Concierge who recommended great restaurants, arranged tours and gave us some overall good advice about what to see and do in the city.

Our room was immaculate and modern with all the amenties we needed. The desires concept where you press one button on the phone for all of your needs (our friends staying in another room didn't want down pillows and requested other pillows - no probs just call desires).

Breakfast was wonderful and hot food was cooked on request not sitting under warming lamps. The bar was a great place where we caught up each night before heading out for dinner.

And of course with the night markets on the hotels doorstep we should shop each night to our hearts content.

Overall a wonderful experience and we will definately seek out D2 hotels again.

• Liked — Room facilities
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2006

We have just returned from a month in wonderful Thailand and stayed in the d2 on our visit to Chiang Mai for seven nights.
I picked the D2 as the location was fabulous and I had already checked out on this site which was the most popular hotel.
We were not disapointed with our choice!!!
The d2 is a very modern hotel but would suit most peoples tastes. Location excellent (which is important in a city like this)
It was also a very reasonable price considering the 5* rating. The staff were wonderful - Very proffessional and very informative - always giving u tips on where to go and what to see.
The hotel itself was gorgeous and the rooms were amazingly clean. The breakfast was great in the morning with lots of choice.
This would most definietly be my choice for anyone thinking about visiting the wonderful city of Chiang Mai.

Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2006

The first time I stayed at D2 was during the Thai New Year in April and the second time was in August for work. I'm a Thai resident, so I only paid the local rate of 4800++ Baht which was ideal! I must say that both time, the hotel lived up to my expectation and everything was absolutely perfect!
The airport pick up was prompt and smooth - nice big Mercedes van with charming driver. The receptionists and doormen were attentive, polite and friendly. Every staff at D2 must all be in their 20's as they seem young and energetic with full training (young staff normally are "clueless", from my experience).
The general atmosphere was posh, but I never felt intimidated as the staff constantly gave me their big smiles! The design was splendid as the hotel hired a very reputable Thai architect to finish off the work.
The room was perfect - very new and clean and I totally love the decor. The restaurant, I did not try as Chaingmai town itself offer fabulous dinning experiences that I could not afford to stay and dine at the hotel. The Spa - good -- nothing outstanding about the service or the technique, but certainly up to the 5* hotel standard.
To conclude .. wonderful stay all round -- my one and only complaint is the size of the room - space was kind of limited but who stay in their room all day long since the Charming Chiangmai has so much to offer !

• Liked — The design
  • Disliked — the size of room
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
worldwide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2006

The D2 hotel is everything they say and many people have covered most of it in the reviews. I enjoyed the fantastic location; right in the middle of the night bazaar! Very nice when shopping and you need to drop off bags to shop some more!

The rooms are cute, modernist design, and the little candies the staff leaves daily in the room in an orange cube are a nice, unique touch. The bathroom had a nice-size tub for soaking after a long day white water rafting. The room was always clean upon our return.

The breakfast buffet was included in our rate and it was plentiful. Very nice spread of foods and omelets can be made by request. We really enjoyed getting up to such a nice breakfast.

The transportation was included in our rate and they were on time at the airport and very helpful with luggage. They were also on time for shuttling us back to the airport for departure.

The staff are young, hip, and friendly, but surprisingly limited on English.

I only rated it 4 stars for 2 reasons:

Although uniquely designed, the whole building had a wettish/musty smell to it. In the hotel's defense, my Thai friend said this is common in the hotels in the area. We cranked the A/C during the day and the smell was mostly gone when we returned at night.

The prices: I enjoy Internet on vacation if available in the room, but the rate for 24hrs, to me, was outrageous! 15 dollars is WAY too much when the room rate is double the average hotel price in the area. Internet is not hard to come by in Chiang Mai so its not like they had to have a special line ran through the village.

Drinks in the lounge were astronomical as well. We had 4 cocktails one night and it cost more money than dinner for 8 people out in town! With that said, we did not eat at the restaurant because I knew it would be outrageous.

Would I stay again? D2 is a safe bet and if I did not want to research other hotels in the area then I would stay again mainly for the location. If you are looking for Thai-style this is not the place for you.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The musty smell and the prices
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Dusit D2 Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!