“5 Star +” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai

Save Saved
You added Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai to your Saves list
Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   51/4 Moo 1, Chiang Mai - Sankampaeng Road | Tha Sala, Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand   |
Ranked #1 of 330 hotels in Chiang Mai
California
“5 Star +”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have stayed at many hotel all over the world. The Mandarin Oriental was definitely one I will remember. We stayed three nights which really was not enough time to take advantage of seeing everything locally and participating in the many wonderful things to do at the hotel e.g. cooking lessons, rice field planting etc. The spa is absolutely gorgeous and rated one of the best in the world...incredible. Try to spend time there and not rushing the experience. The hotel architecture is stunning and I would say the best hotel to stay in Chiang Mai. I decided not to stay at the Four Seasons as I was impressed with the architecture and grounds. The service was outstanding and after many years away from Thailand I forgot how good the service can be. The buffet breakfast was amazing with plenty of staff waiting to help you. I loved all the interesting freshly squeezed juices. My husband hurt his ankle and after mentioning it to the front desk we arrived back in our room and found a bucket of ice, tiger balm and a lady offering to help him....amazing. The hotel is expensive but well worth it for a lifetime of memories.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

697 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed from 1/31/13-2/3/13 as part of our 2 week Thailand vacation. We stayed in a Deluxe Villa on the rice paddies. The room was better than the photos and our deck and gazebo were larger than expected. We enjoyed drinks there in the evenings. The spa tub was large enough for the 2 of us and my husband is 6'3". I enjoyed using the outdoor shower.

We had room service and the staff was quick and efficient, making our cocktails in our living room. The food was hot and tasty. We had breakfast included and the buffet had lots of wonderful choices every day.

We had a 3:20 hour spa treatment and the spa and the staff were fantastic. The entire property was large and beautiful. You could get bikes from the fitness area or you could call and get golf cart services around the property.

We had no issue with mosquitos when we were there and there was even a rain storm.

We used their shuttle to the Night Market and that was very convienant. We also used their limo service and went into the city for the Flower Festival. Every employee was friendly and attentive.

Our favorite part of our stay was our cooking class with Chef Aum. It was just the two us with the chef and her sous chef. Our class started with a trip to the local market. The chef showed us around and explained the food products available and what we would be using in class. We tried the local sausage, sweet and savory small, round pancakes and iced Thai coffee. I must say I am addicted to Thai coffee now. The class was fun and they made it so easy for us. Everything was terrific and we loved eating the results. I can't wait to try the recipes here at home.

We have stayed at 3 Mandarin Oriental's and they never disappoint.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Deluxe Villa #68. It was close to the spa and about a 5 minute walk to the lobby. O...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

From the very moment we arrived, we could feel that this was going to be fabulous. The receptionist greeted us with a fresh towel and drink. We, then, finished the registration and were escorted by a golf cart. The hotel is set in 60 acres of natural surroundings which was very pleasant to walk around but the fitness will lend you a bike so that you can go even further.

The decoration in the room was sublime, colonial style, making us feel like being in one of those Hollywood films. It has got two pools; one behind the reception which is a real long swimming pool where you can sunbath and another which is more relaxing and more designed with a great view of the rice field, absolutely stunning.

The SPA is a must, the best massage I've ever had so far. 1.1/2 hours aromatherapy massage in a double cabin was really a real treat !!! We couldn't ask for more !! Thanks to Khun Oi, my masseuse. She was very professional, smiley, polite and smooth ! Make sure you ask for her service !

From the c/in through c/out, everything was so perfect. Thank you to all the staff, I can feel that they were happy to do their jobs, without them our stay at the MOCXN could not be this pleasant ! We will come back !!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Johns Creek, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We spent Chinese New Year at the Mandarin Oriental in Chiang Mai and found the experience to be a little bit of heaven. Our 'colonial suite' room had 20 foot ceilings, period furnishings, well- appointed bathrooms and comfortable beds, including the sofa bed where our children slept. Owing to the humidity of Thailand, the room smelt a bit musty. The TV was ancient, but we only turned it on for the novelty of it and left it off for the rest of our stay. The beautifully manicured grounds with its many paths meandering through the property encouraged us to spend our time outside. The mosquito repellent we found in our rooms was a must and even though we kept ourselves covered we still had a few bites. We found the pool to be beyond any expectation. It is huge with a wading pool for children with attentive staff around to setup a chaise and provide refreshments. It was a restful setting, not a splash park. We dined at the Chinese dim sum restaurant, the morning breakfast buffet and under the stars at the traditional Thai restaurant. All were exceptional. I highly recommend this wonderful place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

As we all know, there are many great hotels in Asia, punctuated by their superior service mentality. The "Mandarin Oriental", Chiang Mai deserves to be ranked as one of the finest hotels in Asia and hence the world. The hotel's masterplan is a credit to the owner and his unswerving vision to preserve the unique history of Northern Thailand's, "Kingdom of Lanna"...it's setting in over 60 acres, beside the City of Chiang Mai, sets it apart from any other hotel in Chiang Mai and make no mistake, this is a truly incredible hotel experience by anyone's standards. In some ways, this is a "quirky" property, but, my wife and I leave this hotel with memories for a lifetime. If you have been lucky enough to experience the "Mandarin Oriental" brand anywhere else in the world you know it will special, but the "Mandarin Oriental" Chiang Mai gives a whole new meaning to the word SPECIAL...it is FAULTLESS in every aspect and a "must visit" destination hotel !!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

it is just simply wonderful at Dhara Dhevi.
first of all, i love effective staffs who are always helpful and friendly.
we stayed a few times in colonial style and lanna villa, i preferred colonial suites
the bathroom is great, the living room is luxurious and the balcony is huge.
breakfast is good, the hall is a bit dark though.
i am impressed with our villan with pool access and outdoor jagucci, nice view.
we love afternoon tea set at the coffee shop, reasonable price excellent taste.
hotel is great for newly wed, family vacation or friend reunion.

Room Tip: colonial suite room type is very perfect
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental from 1/30-2/6 with 2 children, 5 and 2. We had one of colonial rooms, C58. We ate at every F&B outlet on premise at least once. We went to the spa for treatments on 3 separate occasions just to make sure we gave this place a chance. I really wanted to enjoy our stay.

First of all, the room did not get any sun during the entire day. Coupled with Thailand's high humidity, even during the winter, that meant that our room was kind of musty. The TV was an ancient box set at least 7-8 years old. There were also a lot of mosquitoes at night. My two children looked like they had chicken pox at the end of our stay.

Second, the spa was good in that it gave you an extra 30 minutes on top of your reserved slot to get changed, steam, and relax. I had 2 different masseuse, both male. I usually get 4-5 massages/week, so I'm probably a lot more demanding. While the techniques were ok, they could've paid a little more attention to pressure. It was either too light or too heavy. One of them was very attentive. As I laid on the bed, I felt water in my ear and put a finger in to try to get it out, but, as soon as my finger moved, the masseuse was already there with a tissue.

Third, the best part of the stay was the F&B. I thought this was one of the best hotels, in terms of overall food. The prices were very cheap for a 5 star hotel. We tried every single outlet and the product itself was an A-, including their own bakery. The only one where the food itself was horrible, and I mean horrible, was the Chinese restaurant. I was stunned. Thailand has a huge Chinese diaspora. Mandarin Oriental's clientele, during the week I was there, was probably 80% Chinese. Chinese tourists are known for only eating Chinese food while abroad, yet the Chinese food was disgusting. Their chicken feet used the wrong variety of chicken, the local ones are too skinny. The chicken soup I ordered used chicken cutlets, not a single bone in it. All the flavoring was from chicken essence. The Peking duck I ordered was so skinny that there was no fat and the skin was not at all crispy. They also gave me spring roll skin for wrapping the Peking duck. For anyone who knows anything about Chinese food, these are egregious errors. Also the decor itself was so cheap, I wouldn't have thought it was part of a 5 star property.

Fourth, the gym, where I went everyday, was tiny, probably covering only 50 square meters. All the equipment was Lifestyle, not Technogym. The bikes on loan were some no name cruisers that were shoddy. They didn't have equipment for working out your lower back. There weren't enough free weights. The worst part was after signing in my name everyday for a week, none of the guys working there knew my name. In fact, none of the staff in the property knew any of our names, except for the kids' club.

Finally, I couldn't believe how shoddy the kids' club was. Although I did appreciate the staff, who were friendly and helpful, the facilities just seemed like an afterthought. The a/c unit was wallmounted instead of central, the playground was only for toddlers, not kids, and the bathrooms were not that clean. They don't take children under the age of six w/o their parents. Although all of the kids I saw there were Chinese, no one on the staff spoke any Chinese.

Overall, I had an ok stay, but, at USD700/night and with all the reviews on tripadvisor, I thought it should've been amazing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!