“Best staff, fun atmosphere, low price!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Tipsy Manor to your Saves list
Tipsy Manor
333 Moon Muang Road | Soi 9, Sri Phum, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
Mokpo, South Korea
“Best staff, fun atmosphere, low price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Tipsy Manor was one of the most enjoyable hostel experiences I've had! This is largely due to the atmosphere and staff. The downstairs main room has a TV/couch area (ideal for hangovers) and a good pool table. As a solo traveler, making friends was very easy here and over the 4 nights I stayed I met 4 different groups of travelers to join for dinner/drinking. The staff is second to none in their willingness to help. Kunthara went out of her way to help me more times than I can count....booking activities at a moment's notice, arranging for bus tickets to be bought and brought to me, even loaning me money when I couldn't find an exchange bank! I owe her big time for how wonderful a stay I had in Chiang Mai! I went out twice to drink with the staff and their friends, and both times were a blast. As for the rooms, they're perfectly good dorm beds with large lockers. This place provides towels, keeps their bathroom clean, has warm to hot water, and no major flaws that I could find. I would HIGHLY recommend staying here for anyone who is solo (or group) traveling and wants an amazing staff, good social environment and low price!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at Tipsy Manor and I have to admit that was mainly due to the people. Jam the owner is fantastic- so helpful and friendly. She advised me and another solo traveller I had met where was good to go and what to try and then even better than that she invited us out with her and her friends which was so lovely. We were also taken to a fantastic BBQ where we tried loads of local foods that I would never have tried had it not been due to her. The hostel itself is fairly basic but I loved that beds were not bunk beds and instead were single beds, this was great for socialising. There is also individual lockers for each bed to keep your belongings in. I booked a cooking class through the hostel which was recommended and it was amazing and also a trek through the hostel ( and I got it much cheaper than others doing the same trek).
All in all a great place to stay and to meet people and at a great price.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Arriving at Tipsy Manor I was extremely exhausted from a long journey on a bus from Bangkok. I was greeted by a beautiful dog called 'Tipsy' which was a fantastic touch and great character which I haven't seen in any other hostel. I felt that this gave the whole place a very friendly and homely touch. On arrival I received big smiles and a warm welcome by the staff. I was shown to my dorm room which was extremely clean and comforting. Each bed has its own bedside lamp which gave me comfort in my own space, without the worry of disturbing people with a light switch.

I had a great night sleep and awoke the next morning to a very clean showroom. Before leaving the hostel I was given a map at reception and asked what my plans were. Every effort was made by staff to ensure that I knew where I was going, what there was to do, where to go to eat. If I wanted a day to relax, the sofas in the common area were very comfortable and the TV was HUGE! They have a great collection of movies and an XBOX for entertainment, it was like having an evening back at home :0)

Tipsy Manor made my trip to Chiang Mai fantastic! I can't recommend this hostel enough. If you are staying in Chiang Mai this is the place to be.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I'm honestly surprised by the good reviews this place has gotten. The only good experiences I had at Tipsy was playing with Tipsy the beagle mascot of the house, and being helped by the staff to find activities in the area. My two friends and I stopped here and rented a room with 3 beds. The mattresses might as well have been made of cardboard. They were solid and had no give whatsoever. One of my friends ended up sleeping more nights in the common area on the couch than the room which we paid for. There are only 2 full bathrooms in this hostel, and one was always clogged up. These were only single occupant bathrooms too. You can imagine what the mornings were like. I didn't see any roaches outside the kitchen but there were plenty of them in there. And last but not least, one evening while hanging out in the common area a dark shaded blur ran across the floor bounced off my foot then dashed out the front door. I had no clue what it was but others saw and said it was a rat. Tipsy has a decent location in the old city but for the same price you can find much nicer furnishings.

Room Tip: I don't think there is one here unless they take not of this review and get new mattresses.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Korbee, Owner at Tipsy Manor, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Hello,

We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us but would like to clarify to future guests some things you mentioned.

As stated on our official website and on our booking website hostel world we have 1 bathroom on each sleeping floor that any of our guests can use, which makes a total of 3 bathrooms, each with a toilet, sink, and hot water shower. There is also a toilet and sink on the ground floor in our common area. Sometimes due to customers habits the pipes sometimes get blocked. As soon as our staff notice a problem or it is reported to us by a guest then I myself will fix the problem (owner/manager/handy man). Usually bathrooms are designed to facilitate one person at a time but i'm sure ours offer enough space for 2 maybe even 3 people to use at the same time if you should want to.

WE ORDERED NEW WESTERNER FRIENDLY MATTRESSES FOR EVERY BED 2 WEEKS AGO WHICH WILL BE DELIVERED ON THE 2ND OF FEBRUARY. SOFT BEDS FOR ALL CUSTOMERS.

Cockroaches much like mosquitoes are a common problem in Thailand and can be found in big expensive hotels, small budget hostels, restaurants etc etc. We try our best at Tipsy Manor to keep them out and luckily they only seem to be interested in our staff only area around the water drainage system and bins and not in the guest areas. We spray whenever possible which is when all the guests have gone out as we don't want our guests to have to breathe in the spray.

Happy travels
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Chiang Mai was my first stop in Asia as a solo female traveler and I am so glad that I chose Tipsy Manor to stay in.The staff were immediately welcoming and helpful, pairing me up with other guests so I was not short of things to do there. The staff also took me out for drinks in the evenings! They recommended and booked my tours for me and my bus to leave Chiang Mai. I felt comfortable and happy here and would definitely go back. The dorms are big with no bunks which feels spacious and you also have your own cupboard you can lock, powerpoint and reading llamp. A great stay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I was excelente, The Only this was that when i wanted to use the tv, o the xbox, it was always someone from the hostal using the tv watching him shows. But is a detail, in general, The lady in the front desk was very Friendly, And she helped me with all my tours. Nice place to meet peolple, The room were Nice. I would stay again there

• Stayed January 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Staff is very friendly, rooms are clean and come with lockers. Common area is great to watch movies, play games and play pool. It's on a walkingdistance from touristic places. Bar area Zoe in Yellow is also in a walking distance from the hostel

• Stayed December 2013

Been to Tipsy Manor? Share your experiences!