“Used to be better” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Gap's House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Gap's House
You added Gap's House to your Saves list
3 Rajadamnern Soi 4 T. Sriphum, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand   |
Ranked #247 of 502 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Putten, The Netherlands
“Used to be better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at Gap's House in 2004 with a friend. I remembered the laidback atmosphere where you could stay in an affordable room surrounded by a lush tropical garden. I was eager to return, but unfortunately a few things have changed.

First some negative comments:
The mosquitoes are still there and vicious, so cover up and use plenty of repellent! Also, the staff wasn't friendly of helpful at all. Big difference compared to a few years ago when it was easy to arrange train and trekking tickets. Plenty of dogs and cats walking around the place. Not a problem for me, but it could be a bother for others.

Good stuff:
For 600 baht you can get a good sized room with nice decorations and a decent shower. Bedlinnen is mostly clean, but the towels are a bit scruffy. Be sure to check for insects.
Breakfast is included and comes with eggs, toast, coffee or tea and fruit.
Every night there's an excellent vegetarian buffet available, which I strongly recommend.
The location is excellent, just a few meters away from the Rachadamnoen road. Close to a lot of nice eating places.

Conclusion: I had fond memories of this place, but unfortunately it's lacking on many levels. This could be easily forgivable if there was still a warm and friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Staying the night in Room # 11 was no fun at all. First impression was very good, we liked the place with its beautiful yard area and the nice size of the room. At night though we were attacked by bedbugs! So many of them, we weren't able to get rid of them. From baby size to a few milimeters and all over the room (floor/wall/moskito net etc.). The staff had nothing more than a simple "sorry" left for us as we were letting them know while checking out first thing in the morning. Afterwards we spent hours looking through our backpacks, finding many of them hiding in shoes and clothes. Having the hole body covered with burning bites is just an other nice souvenir we got from staying the night.

We also did not like the smelling dogs hanging around everywhere, I don't think they get washed ever!! On top of that we saw that the cleaning ladys let them in to the rooms while they were working. Ikkk...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Although Gap's House has a beautiful and lush yard area, looks can be deceiving because it smells like the most intimate parts of a sweaty dog's hind quarters. I have counted at least three dogs on property as well as a few cats. It is clear that none of the dogs have ever been bathed hence the putrid smell of doggie funk at the guest house which is sure to wreak havoc on your nostrils regardless of whether you're a dog lover or not. At face value the guesthouse looks like it could be a charming place to stay until you realize that the attitudes of the staff members are just as foul as the aforementioned doggie funk. When you settle in and realize nobody is hanging out chatting and talking travel like in most guest houses you realize that between staff attitudes, vicious mosquito bites and for the preservation of your sense of smell, you are better off staying in your room at a different guest house.

• Stayed July 2012
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Nothing fancy but a good central place to stay. We had a nice big room that was clean enough although very dusty. The place has nice gardens surrounding the rooms - although this does mean there are a lot is nozzles. Not a lot of smiles from the staff and breakfast which was included in the room price was very average - we went to M Muong Soi 8 for great fruit salad and muesli.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Gap's house is a calm haven in Chiang Mai. Staff is great - helpful, friendly and speaks English.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

I will NEVER stay here again. I went to use the toilet at 3am and did not turn on the light because I did not want to wake my friend. I felt something odd when I broke off the toilet paper, and on my feet - finally turned on the light to see hundreds of ants all over my feet and ankles and on the toilet paper roll. It took me 45 minutes to get them all off. The next morning I complained and the owner laughed and said something about the rain coming. I told him it needed to be funigated, and he only offered 50 baht off the 650 price. DISGUSTING place.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Worldwide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Gap's house was really a very beautiful place to stay. The lush green gardens were just delightful. The free wifi was great. I stayed for a week and got to experience a lot of chiang mai from there. The more expensive rooms were just lovely, I ended up changing to a less expensive room, but that was good to - all had aircon and hot showers.

Cons: definitely need mossie spray. The owner was grumpy (no matter how cheerful I was to him!).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Gap's House? Share your experiences!