“Busy and overcrowded temple” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 111 attractions in Chiang Mai
Type: Religious Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This temple was built in 1345 under King Phayu, the fifth king of the Mangrai dynasty.
Netherlands
19 attraction reviews
“Busy and overcrowded temple”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I always feel temples should give of a vibe of serenity. This is exactly what I believe Wat Phra Singh is lacking, like many other temples inside the moat area of Chiang Mai. It's just too busy and overloaded with tourists walking about. Furthermore, yes, the architecture looks impressive. Although a tiny bit tacky, if you could use this word for a temple.

Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
44 attraction reviews
“Maybe Skip This One...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

unless you have to see every wat in Chiang Mai. We were quite disappointed after having just visited Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, and nearby Wat Lok Molee and Wat Rajamontean Sripoom. All three of these are far more interesting from an architectural point of view. You of course have to go to Doi Suthep but when you're walking around Chiang Mai, make some time to visit the other two wats above (especially Wat Lok Molee).

Visited February 2013
Singapore, Singapore
6 attraction reviews
“Great history”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I prefer to worship in smaller, quieter temple. Didn't go in main temple building.
Walk around compound to find few older buildings with great historical architecture. Top half of building is wood while bottom half is bricks. Inside of the building is impressive too with wax figure of famous monks. Very lifelike and frightened me initially when I see so many old monks staring at me while I enter.
There's also a figure of the King that founded and developed Chiang Mai

Visited January 2013
Kensington, Maryland
38 attraction reviews
“Wat?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

It's a neat place with many vendors set-up so you can buy food and gifts. I found some neat art there. But it's a wat.... we're not religious people so it's pretty to look at and that's about it. The monks kind of creeped me out a little. It doesn't seem to be very strict on their rules for clothing while visiting. I accidentally wore a sleeveless top the day we went and no one asked me to cover up when I went in the buildings. I still felt uncomfortable though. It's only OK. You should totally visit one while you are in Thailand and I guess this one is OK....although I don't have anything else to compare it to since we only visited this one.

Visited December 2012
Nottingham
25 attraction reviews
“One of the best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

There ar a lot of wats in Chaing Mai but this is one of the prettiest (and most visited therefore). Try 7am for the place to yourself.

Visited January 2013