“Good location ,but the stuf not polit.” 1 of 5 stars

Suriwongse Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Changklan Road | Muang, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand   |
Ranked #52 of 330 Hotels in Chiang Mai
ابوظبي
“Good location ,but the stuf not polit.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012 via mobile

Good location ,it is in the amung of night bazar, but the stuf not polit. I booked delox room but the give me standard room .and ther is mintenanc in this hotel,so it is noicy.

• Stayed January 2012
Vinai C, General Manager at Suriwongse Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
Dear Mr. Salem,

Thank you very much for your stay with us and also for your comments on our hotel and staff services. We have immediately investigated and taken appropriate actions so there is no repetition of the same in the future. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

We really hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you once again with the highest standards of services during your next trip to Chiangmai.

Yours sincerely,

Vinai Chitaratsanee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Thai first
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We were upgraded to a suite despite paying for a renovated deluxe room. We were told that it’s renovated but when we went to the room, it doesn’t look renovated. We called up the reception to clarify and they insisted that its really renovated. The room looked dated; furniture was old, the worse was the bed – the mattress is decompressed and it literally creaks when you turn during your sleep. We had aches the next day! There were patches of stain marks on the carpet. The room had a musky smell and mosquitoes; the toilet does not have exhaust fan, and plumbing system definitely need overhaul. It was so bad that the reception informed us that we need to change to another suite the next day as the leakage was affecting the room below us. They also requested us to be mindful of how we flush the toilet during the rest of the night. This is how bad the condition of the suite!

The next day, we rejected the suite and asked for deluxe room instead, hoping that it would be a better room. It turned out to be slightly better, at least the bed does not creak but otherwise everything was the same and the toilet plumbing system was in working condition. The only grip I have was the standing shower, it’s a little tight considering the space they have.

The only plus point of this hotel is the location. It’s walking distance to night market, food, massages, tour agencies and its has free shuttle bus that brings you to a shopping mall and back. Staff at the reception was not very knowledgeable. We asked if Walking Street Market is nearby, they told us that its 20min away from hotel and we need to take tuk-tuk. But we managed to walk there in less than 15 min. Breakfast spread was reasonable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

My 6 night stay at this hotel was a very welcoming and comfortable one. Everything you need is very handy - night bazar, 7/11, Macdonalds, Starbucks and many more local eateries. If it's not handy just step outside and catch a red taxi for a minimum cost. Breakfast is varied and plentiful to start your busy day. Staff are friendly and ready to assist in whatever way they can. I was picked up by the shutle bus and after a long trip was greeted with a cold bottle of water and hot fragranced towel on the way. Overall, its a great location and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 7th floor, I had bathroom with a shower and bath, lounge chairs and a king size bed...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Vinai C, General Manager at Suriwongse Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for staying with us and most of all for your positive comments for our staff and services. Such comments are definitely a great encouragement to our staff to carry on offering the best of services to our valued customers.

We certainly hope that your future plans to Chiang Mai will include the Suriwongse Hotel where we will await to welcome you back with the warm and gracious Thai hospitality.

Best regards,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Despite most of the negative reviews abt this hotel, i decided to give it a try coz the location is utmost important to me. I stayed in a deluxe orchid at new wing and it was the most worthwhile stay that i ever had. Room is huge though furniture is a bit outdated, no aircon and water heater problem, bathroom is brand new with bathtub n separate shower. Most important thing was no mosquitoes in our room at all. Service is good but not encouraged to join their hotel tours due to price is more expensive than outside travel agents.

Room Tip: My room no. was 550. Rooms located right on top of the bar at level 5 are not sound proof therefore...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Supakorn K, General Manager at Suriwongse Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear Doreena C,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay at the Suriwongse Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our valued clients.

We strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore are taking the appropriate measures for the improvements in all areas as much as possible.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again in Chiang Mai and at the Suriwongse Hotel in the very near future.

Best regards,
Suriwongse Hotel Chiang Mai
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I had paid for two nights through Agoda. The payment was not refundable but I left anyway after the first night. I've never done this before.

The first room that I was given was a huge, old, outdated, dirty and stuffy. It was full of mosquitoes. The first thing I did was to buy mosquito repellent from the 7/11. The next thing I reconsidered my situation and went to ask the reception staff if I could change rooms.

The staff was really nice and they gave me a "deluxe" room without extra cost! That was nice. Unfortunately, the room was not very pleasant. The bathroom had been renovated but the paint was chipping from the walls which were dirty. The thick carpet was worn and filthy. There was a heavy smell, desinfectant and something else that made feel that I cannot breathe. Oh, and there was no safe in the room! From my window I could see a blank wall.

I am not very picky and I've been backpacking quite a lot in South East Asia. This hotel had the worst price/quality ratio I've seen. After a nice breakfast (which was really OK), I left and found another, nice, clean place for the same price.

I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone before it has been completely renovated. Avoid like hell unless you love mosquitoes and don't let the good location misguide you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed at room 641. We also booked 2 more rooms for the other family members.
This is a hotel that is showing its age.
We were told that the renovations were complete, but the rooms that we were issued with did not seem new. The wooden door and door frame was painted over but I could see cracks long the edges.
There was a strong musty smell along the corridors, it became a lot more worse in each room, I think it could be the old carpets?

They don't send a staff to bring you to your rooms. For us, upon reaching the room, we could not get the air-conditioning and the lights to work. Hmmmm..
Went to a control panel at the bedsite, then found that you have to use it to operate the a/c and lights.
We could not charge a phone in the morning. Upon calling reception, the instructions were to turn on the controls at the main control panel other than the Master switch. It didn't work when I switched the lights away from the bed where our kid was still sleeping. Called reception, they sent a staff to help.
Staff came to the room and demonstrated that only by switching on all the lights in the room, then the power could work. So the power sockets do not work if the room lights are switched off. If you need to charge your devices at night while you sleep, good luck, unless you can sleep with all the lights on.
One workaround I discovered on day 2 of the stay was to unplug one of the bedroom lights, then use it to charge, with the control for that light turned on.

The rooms do not have the card-based scanning keys, you will be issued with a old-school metal key, one per room.

Was hanging around at the lobby in front of the reception at the night, mosquitoes starting swarming all around, even though I had sprayed myself with citronella. I took out around 8 of them, maybe more. Became too distracting. Went up to the 6th floor lift lobby with my iPad, but managed around maybe ten minutes before saw my first mosquito.

My 5 year old got bitten on the face and the hands on the second night to the 3rd morning. We discovered this in the morning. Odd that the room had biting insects. His ear was badly bitten on the back. We counted at least 14 bites. Not sure if these due to mosquitoes in the room. The wife and myself were spared. Looking at the reviews from around the same time as our stay, it looks like the mosquitoes.
I sprayed our luggage with bed bug spray when we reached home just in case.

The toliets for the other 2 rooms got choked on day 1 and day 3 of our stay.

On the plus side, the hotel is very near the night market and a lot of eating places.

Breakfast was at the 4th floor. It was dimly lit, but we could still make our way around.
Chiangmai is now dry and heavy with hazy. The haze would be bothersome if you are not used to it, or a non-smoker. Outdoor activities with small children are not the best choice. My 2 and 5 year old got runny noses by day 2. To be fair, the 2 year old already had a stuffy nose before landing in Chiangmai.

Temperatures in the day to late night don't dip to below 20 degrees centigrade. The below 20's you might find on the weather reports are only in the wee hours of morning at 3am or so.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012 via mobile

The location was great but the room was poor. The hotel is currently undergoing renovation. We stayed in the 'old building', the room was very old/a bit dirty and Mosquitos were EVERYWHERE!!! There were so many in our room too, we had to buy a can of fly spray and use half of it in there! It was also very musky. I would not stay here until the renovations were done unless I was in the newer building. Breakfast was great though.

• Stayed March 2012

Been to Suriwongse Hotel? Share your experiences!