“Friendly, inexpensive family run restaurant.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #101 of 1,359 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: Thai
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly, inexpensive family run restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed in a hotel near Nu's place for six weeks and ate in his restaurant many times for lunch and dinner sampling most dishes, Western and Thai. We also took two Chinese friends there. The dishes are prepared while you wait and are well presented using fresh ingredients.
The restaurant is run by Nu and his mother and you will always be greeted with a genuine friendly smile, Nu speaks good English.
Because the food is good and represents good value for money, not surprisingly it is very popular with locals and long term residents in the area and can sometimes be quite busy, but Nu will always do his utmost to accommodate you.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great thai food, excellent prices and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed at the hotel next door and eat here three times during a five day stay.
It is just a small semi open restaurant which seems to be frequented by both locals and tourists. It also seems to be family run as Mr Nu served us on each visit.

We found the food to be tasty and the portions generous, the price was also great.
The menu is made up with much the same dishes you will find throughout Chang Mai but we found Mr Nu's to be both the best tasting and best value.

In fact if it wasnt for Nu's Place we wouldnt have had such a great stay at Viangbua Mansion.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glendora, CA
“Nu's Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Just a 100 feet from the Viangbua Mansion is Nu's Place. Nu's is a small open air eating establishment which is frequented by the guests staying at the Viangbua. One of the nice things about Nu's is that he has menus in Thai, English, and I believe Japanese, although I could be corrected on that one. But, with that said there is always a good number of tourists enjoying a "one-pot" meal and a cold beer.

Nu himself is fluent in English for the most part, can speak Japanese, and can explain the dinner items to you if you are unsure of what you want. The menus do come with pictures, but not all items have pic's... so if you have a question, ask.

The food is pretty good. I do see a lot of those "one-pot" style dinners being eaten by various groups, but I haven't tried one. I tend to be a creature of habit. I've ordered Pad Thai three times, two were delicious, and one I couldn't finish... BUT, don't let this sway your willingness to try the place out. I love his (or his Burmese chef's) fried fish w/ black pepper w/ rice (about 70 baht or $2.25), or the pork with chili lime sauce. When you are interested in something non Thai, and it will happen, you can order a club sandwich, ham and cheese, or tuna. He also serves some pork steak as well. The fries are pretty good too. Actually, there isn't anything I haven't liked there... except that one Pad Thai dish, and that was an anomaly. One thing though, and this isn't so much to do with Nu's Place, but the Thai version of American style sandwiches is a little different than ours. So if you do get a Club Sandwich, don't be surprised to find a fried egg in it. It is different, but yet good nonetheless.

In all honesty, I moved here about three months ago, and Nu's is one of MANY places to eat, and certainly not the only one. I do eat there probably 4 times a week, but I do keep coming back because I know his quality, and I know that I will like what I am served. He has a very good business, and there is a good reason for that.

Stop and try Nu's Place out if in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kawasaki, Japan
“A small and friendly restaurant, but the foods served there are amasingly tasteful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

It's our habit to visit Chaingmai and spend a couple of weeks in ViangBua Mansion from late January to ealy February. We often take lunch and dinner during our stay there.Mr. Nu speaks very good Japanese and extremely friendly. The foods there are all delisious, but among them I recomend the one-pot meal that is added this year as a new menu.Besides the price of all food is affordable.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego
“Great Little Local restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed at a nearby hotel and ate here three times, and each time it was very good. I only ordered the Thai food, not the Western dishes.The owner/manager speaks excellent English (I believe he lived in Australia for a while), so you can explain to him the level of spice you want.

It has an open side so it is nice to sit there and have a meal and watch the world go by. It has a nice local feel to it. Try the "money bags" as an appetizer - delicious!!

• Visited December 2013